U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM

39 posts, read 101,114 times
Smile Ouch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Okay, you're not here yet. So you can go on thinking that the opinions expressed on this forum represent the minority and that NC is the utopia you wish it to be...................

Keep on hoping, Tammy...keep on hoping....
OUCH!!!!! Call me a pollyanna if you must!!!!!!

I don't think there are any utopias existing on this planet-yet.

I do know me & I know that I have never had a problem making friends of all ages, different walks of life etc.......& I have read many posts by people from all over the country that have found happiness there.
I don't expect the entire state of NC to accept me just a few close friends that I can share my time & life with. I'm pretty sure I could find that just about anywhere & I don't really care what the general public is saying behind my back as long as they're polite when they are in my face.
But, believe me if all my optimism backfires on me once I get there, I'll be the first one to jump right on here & eat crow!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,912 posts, read 38,797,534 times
Default get the facts straight understand our real history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedonna View Post
a continuing debate, from many many posts on this forum, I want to point out that the state is called North Carolina, so maybe we can all get along?

I think you really need to read North Carolina history and understand why it is named the state it is. The name has nothing to do with new england.

North Carolina's treacherous coast was explored by Verrazano in 1524, and possibly by some Spanish navigators. In the 1580s, Sir Walter Raleigh attempted unsuccessfully to establish a colony on one of the islands at Roanoke Island. The first permanent settlements were made (c.1653) around Albemarle Sound by colonials from Virginia. Meanwhile, Charles I of England had granted (1629) the territory S of Virginia between the 36th and 31st parallels (named Carolina in the king's honor) to Sir Robert Heath. Heath did not exploit his grant, and it was declared void in 1663. Charles II reassigned the territory to eight court favorites, who became the “true and absolute Lords Proprietors” of Carolina. In 1664, Sir William Berkeley, governor of Virginia and one of the proprietors, appointed a governor for the province of Albemarle, which after 1691 was known as North Carolina.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/us/A0860032.html

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-12-2007 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM

11,352 posts, read 17,193,173 times
North Korea was named by New Englanders, not North Carolina. Y'all have it all wrong.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
I really identified the actions in the storm1996 list as to what I have experienced with the "Yankees" I had to deal with because I had a very public job. I would like to add one more rule as to what not to do. "Don't say anything bad about anybody, because the person you are talking to is probably one of their relatives."

It is so good to have the realization that there are a lot of Northerners here that we are friends with and until for some reason they mention where they are from, we don't know they are from the North or anywhere else, because they have blended into their new environment. To you I say, "Welcome one and all." We are so glad to have you as neighbors.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,273 posts, read 4,538,642 times
If you go to any other city forum where people are moving into that area (net +growth) the discussion is all the same. You'd be led to believe there's an all out war between the natives and relocators.

There is an irony in all this discussion that on one level is amusing and another level sad. I'm sure the Native American Indians had similar discussions when the land was colonized (i.e., taken). There wasn't a city-data for them to to gripe about it back then.

Keep it all in perspective.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 PM

190 posts, read 392,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

There is an irony in all this discussion that on one level is amusing and another level sad. I'm sure the Native American Indians had similar discussions when the land was colonized (i.e., taken). There wasn't a city-data for them to to gripe about it back then.

Excellent point. Let's see if a mod mentioning this makes it less ignorable.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 PM

758 posts, read 1,555,497 times
Default Okay, we'll jump in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
But it is hard to keep reading these negative posts without feeling like we just aren't wanted here.
Hi, ctribucher. Please know that we sincerely wish you well and have no axe to grind.

With total objectivity... please... let us hear the reasons that those who already live here "should" welcome you into the fold. In other words, why should you BE (as opposed to "feel") wanted here?

We ask you that question only because we're in the same boat with you. We want to BE wanted, too.

So what, in your mind, can we DO, or BE to make us "feel" welcome?

Help us out, please.....

Jan & Bill

Old 08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,018,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
My point is that these are not "low rent" people- Up north, you see tiny houses and apartments fitted out with granite, ceramic tile, all the bells & whistles. You can't measure socio-economic status by square footage the way you can here...

Status is not measured by square footage here either. I have been trying to get this across to the people moving here, but nobody seems to be listening. I have lived in North Carolina all my life, but they still know more about this than I do?

As to class? I think that if you are northerner from a true "silver spoon" background, you are more likely to buy inside the beltline & have connections to give you the nod to join "the right" country club.

One set of my ancestors comes from the British Royal Family. I could join the country club if I wanted to, but I have no interest in that. I do go there sometimes.

All these middle & upper middle class people moving down are getting more square footage but they are not leapfrogging up the social ladder, are they?

Absolutely they are not. I used to know people on welfare in the North Carolina mountains that had more class than some of the people I have worked with from NY and NJ that had their masters degree and lived in huge houses. These NC people with unfortunate circumstances were good Christian people that anyone should be proud to know.

In my subdivision, we have about 50% transplant from all over the country (we are one of 2 NY families so far) and 50% native North Carolinians. Almost everyone is a white collar, business, IT type person. So, to my eye, we are of roughly the same social class.
We may be starting to go in that direction, but here social class is more by behavior and ancestors. Money, education, where you work, is not something that matters that much. Most of us socialize with the people of our church. That's a good way to protect our children.

Last edited by NCN; 08-12-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,585,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
If you go to any other city forum where people are moving into that area (net +growth) the discussion is all the same. You'd be led to believe there's an all out war between the natives and relocators.

Meaning tell all these people in the south to quit their Moderator cut: explicative removed because it happened to another group of people in the 1700 and 1800's. Given the memories around here I'm sure someone has a long enough memory to hold that against all of us.

But how cool would that have been to have a city data back then...have a login like cherokeemomoftwo, ***** Native, lovessmokesignals, kmwigwam, Chief Wampum1890.....

Last edited by Miker2069; 08-12-2007 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,320,367 times
If y'all are a bit confused about some of the posts in here now....

The powers that be combined two threads, this one with the: "The North in North Carolina is" thread.

So posts may be a tad confusing for a bit. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina