U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,857,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
- I quickly learned that talking about how great it was where I was from is not only arrogant and rude, but completely pathetic. Well-bred people don't do that. If everything was so great where you came from you would not have left, and we are always free to go back.
Great advice! My mother would have my head if she ever hear me being so rude!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,857,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No problem, thanks for explaining though

I am so glad to hear you are enjoying your new home - your attitude is like a breath of fresh air!
Thanks, lovesMountains!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM

577 posts, read 1,733,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
FWIW, not all of us come down here with a huge amount of cash to plunk down on a home, though I can see how it may seem that way.

We hope to someday contribute and give back to our new community to help make sure that the QOL continues to be good and strong, for everyone. We can do that by volunteering, having good jobs that contribute to the local economy, and just being responsible citizens. We don't want to take anything away from anybody else.

But let me pose a question to you...

Would you rather pay $400K + to live in 700 square feet (or less) of condo space, or would you rather spend less than that to own a single family home? For us, the answer is clear... and that's part of the reason we decided to relocate.

Honestly, we aren't trying to step on anyone's toes here... really, we aren't...
You are correct and to anwser your question no I do not want to pay 400k for a condo that is the whole point im making here, that 400 k condo is closer to reality here because of the increased population which adds to the resentment. Dont take me wrong I dont hate anyone trying to better there life just understand the future impact that the crowding has is the common resentment here and all growing areas will be expensive while the salaries wont keep pace causing hardships and some will look for the cheaper cost of living some where else leaving behind another over crowded over taxed place..Im not doubting that NC is better for you then what you had but it is the reverse for those of us from here we see QOL going down hill(unless you are a developer or agent ,politician)

Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
...low rent people selling their home in the northeast and moving into high rent neighborhoods in the south.

Look at it this way; I am an upper middle class guy but could go to Mexico and live among the nation's elite but that doesn't mean that I would fit in with a bunch of people who have lived a life of wealth.

My point is that these are not "low rent" people- Up north, you see tiny houses and apartments fitted out with granite, ceramic tile, all the bells & whistles. You can't measure socio-economic status by square footage the way you can here... neighborhood is Vastly more important up north, which is why you will see northerners asking questions about "good zip codes."

As to class? I think that if you are northerner from a true "silver spoon" background, you are more likely to buy inside the beltline & have connections to give you the nod to join "the right" country club.

All these middle & upper middle class people moving down are getting more square footage but they are not leapfrogging up the social ladder, are they?

In my subdivision, we have about 50% transplant from all over the country (we are one of 2 NY families so far) and 50% native North Carolinians. Almost everyone is a white collar, business, IT type person. So, to my eye, we are of roughly the same social class.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 AM

22 posts, read 84,005 times
Thanks for all the replies on this one.

I guess it is really pretty simple -

Long Islanders are sick of the over crowding, and the undocumented illegals who live 15 to a house, get free health care, don't pay taxes and overwhelm our schools.

We leave here to hopefully start a better life in a more affordable place, and WE become like the undocumented illegals, cutting down all the trees, wearing our Yankee hats, using all the resources and sticking our fat kids in the schools.

As the world turns.

Got it.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM

577 posts, read 1,733,016 times
[quote=GetMeOutOfNY;1243116]Thanks for all the replies on this one.

I guess it is really pretty simple -

Long Islanders are sick of the over crowding, and the undocumented illegals who live 15 to a house, get free health care, don't pay taxes and overwhelm our schools.

We leave here to hopefully start a better life in a more affordable place, and WE become like the undocumented illegals, cutting down all the trees, wearing our Yankee hats, using all the resources and sticking our fat kids in the schools.

Wow you just anwsered your own post and very correctly. That is the perception that alot of people have here.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 AM

331 posts, read 1,032,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
As to class? I think that if you are northerner from a true "silver spoon" background, you are more likely to buy inside the beltline & have connections to give you the nod to join "the right" country club.
They may buy ITB because housing discrimination is illegal but private clubs are a different matter entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
All these middle & upper middle class people moving down are getting more square footage but they are not leapfrogging up the social ladder, are they?
No, they aren't leapfrogging up the social ladder nor will they.

Let me give you another example (I was trying to avoid this one). I grew up in an established neighborhood in Charlotte full of mostly professionals. 7 years ago my parents sold their home to a plumber from Long Island (BTW I have nothing against tradesmen, my grandfather was a machinist and my uncle is an electrician). The new owner promptly put an addition on the house which increased its size by 50% even though it was already one of the biggest on the street. The house just looks hideous. He also junked up the yard with his kids' toys and the landscaping is in total disrepair. We (Southerners) see this happen all the time.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,981,742 times
Default woweee-zoweee....

Actually a nice thread,

lol Getmeout....it is rather shocking seeing so many NY Yankee hats,

I have a question, please.
For those who have moved here from L.I. or New York City because it was so expensive up there.......if Long Isand etc. were not expensive do you think you would have in time left anyway?
And do any of you harbor any resentment from feeling you had to leave
or you would drown financially up there?

I only ask because I have come to realize, when being forced to leave someplace you call home due to financial issues being against you, sometimes that bad taste of having to leave follows with you and some cannot easily shake it off and further hinders them being able to settle down in their new area and really call it home.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
...For those who have moved here from L.I. or New York City because it was so expensive up there.......if Long Isand etc. were not expensive do you think you would have in time left anyway?

And do any of you harbor any resentment from feeling you had to leave
or you would drown financially up there?

...sometimes that bad taste of having to leave follows with you and some cannot easily shake it off and further hinders them being able to settle down in their new area and really call it home.
We had a fine house by NY standards (NO COMPARISON to what we have here in NC!) BUT

My husband is from South Dakota & was never very comfortable on the island. Plus he had a 3 hour (round trip) commute- he wanted to go for a long time.
The schools were getting worse- it was too crowded. The lifestyle felt too hectic for us. What was exhilerating in our 20's got old... as we got older! We sort of felt pushed out but after visiting here a few times it was clear we were as much running TO this place as running FROM the island.
Since we are happy here we do not feel resentment.
The one thing that does bother me is knowing that for Some people I will never belong here. No amount of time or volunteering or anything will ever change that. That hurts.

As you know, in NY, anyone can claim to be a NYer, from the day you move in. But, hey we did not get along with every single person in NY either so it's fine.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,335,605 times
BBQ is a food group. It does NOT mean grilling burgers and hotdogs outdoors.

Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't understand you either

Don't tell us how you did it up there. Nobody cares.

Florida is not considered a Southern state. There are far more Yankees than Southerners living there.

Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"

Get used to the phrase, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity," as well as the collateral phrase, "You call this Hot? Wait'll August!" (IT IS hot now, )

If someone says they're "fixin'" to do something, that doesn't mean anything's broken.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.

If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

If you don't understand our passion for college and high school football, just keep your mouth shut.

If you forget a Southerner's name, refer to him (or her) as "Bubba". You have a 75% chance of being right.

If you think it's too hot, don't worry. It'll cool down - in December.

In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.

Just because YOU can drive on snow and ice does not mean WE can. Stay home the two days of the year it snows. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic.

Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore those who do. In fact, if you see a signal blinking on a car with a Southern license plate, you may rest assured that it was on when the car was purchased.

People walk slower here. (too hot to walk fast)

Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is plural possessive.

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use it. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or "big'ol" boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them are in denial about it.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

The value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but the availability of shade.

The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November. (Oh, and you can leave your snow blower and snow shovel back in NY, etc with the neighbors you are leaving behind.)

There are no Delis. Don't ask.

There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a Southern accent, unless it is a Southerner imitating a Boston accent.

We do TOO have four seasons: December, January, February, and Summer!

You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

You may hear a Southerner say "Ought!" to a dog or child. This is short for "Y'all ought not do that!" and is the equivalent of saying "No!"

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina