U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
 
22 posts, read 84,145 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

A lot of threads on here eventually turn anti-Yankee. Being yet another Yankee looking to relocate, I was just curious of what exactly "we" do to make the natives dislike us so much.

From what I gather - we are moving down there by the busload, overcrowding the schools and roads, forcing the taxes up to pay for improved infrastructure, and complaining about the different stores and food we may be used to. For example, I am used to grabbing an egg sandwich from the deli in the morning before work. I am so used to having that, that it would seem strange if trying to get that is not an option. I wouldn't "understand why I can't get one" - but I sure would love some Cracker Barrel on the weekends.

As a New Yorker looking to get out, a beautiful new house with some land and low taxes is very appealing. I have no hope of ever owning that up here given the cost of living. Yes, I will probably move to a nice new cul-de-sac development which was once farm land or open space. Is it really "our fault" that there are affordable places being built that are attractive to us? If it is going to overtax the infrastructure isn't that the fault of the poor planning of the local government (and/or developers)? We all know they would never take a break from over construction... there is too much money at stake.

Eventually some areas of NC will become "Little Long Island" and people will be squeezed out of there until we find a new place to ruin. We will complain about the overcrowding and the taxes, then leave the waste land en masse looking for a new place to "destroy". Kentucky, here we come. Sound right?

 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,791,333 times
Reputation: 1008
DO NOT talk about how much better things were where you lived. Here in Charlotte, the Interstates leave town in all 4 directions. When complaining about traffic and infrastructure, remember you are contributing to the problem. The south will afford you good opportunities and a better quality of life than in NY. Buy a home in a cul de sac that's a few years old. This way it is still modern, but you are not contributing to yet another development.

-A northern transplant
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,808 posts, read 5,869,897 times
Reputation: 748
I'll be interested in the responses to this thread as I've been getting the same vibe as you, GetMeOutofNY.

DH and I moved to NC by way of DC after growing up in NJ. All we're looking to do is find some affordable housing, which was out of our range in DC or NJ. We aren't trying to push people out of "their land" or cause undo stress to schools or roads. We're just trying for the American Dream of homeownership, if that still exists.

The beauty of these forums is that everyone is entitled to express an opinion, but of course not every North Carolinian is a member of City-Data! But it is hard to keep reading these negative posts without feeling like we just aren't wanted here.

Looking forward to other posters' thoughts. Thanks!
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM
 
331 posts, read 1,034,818 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
DO NOT talk about how much better things were where you lived. Here in Charlotte, the Interstates leave town in all 4 directions. When complaining about traffic and infrastructure, remember you are contributing to the problem. The south will afford you good opportunities and a better quality of life than in NY. Buy a home in a cul de sac that's a few years old. This way it is still modern, but you are not contributing to yet another development.

-A northern transplant
Good post, groove but with one exception. Existing homes are direct substitutes for new homes so it is flawed logic to think that you are not contributing to suburban sprawl by purchasing a home that is a few years old. The people in the home that you are purchasing have to go somewhere.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 AM
 
331 posts, read 1,034,818 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
All we're looking to do is find some affordable housing, which was out of our range in DC or NJ. We aren't trying to push people out of "their land" or cause undo stress to schools or roads. We're just trying for the American Dream of homeownership, if that still exists.
I sympathize with your situation but as groove pointed out you are contributing to the problems associated with rapid growth whether you like it or not. I certainly believe that it is every US citizen's right to live anywhere in this country that he or she chooses (unless he or she is incarcirated ) but that doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMeOutOfNY View Post
We will complain about the overcrowding and the taxes, then leave the waste land en masse looking for a new place to "destroy". Kentucky, here we come. Sound right?
Whoa there buddy! LOL j/k
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Reputation: 2129
Maybe it is because people are afraid of losing their culture. I am sure that NC doesn't want to be one of those "do you consider it Southern" threads!
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,791,333 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Good post, groove but with one exception. Existing homes are direct substitutes for new homes so it is flawed logic to think that you are not contributing to suburban sprawl by purchasing a home that is a few years old. The people in the home that you are purchasing have to go somewhere.
But they bought an exisitng home too. And they had live in Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte suburb) for 20 plus years.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:38 AM
 
331 posts, read 1,034,818 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Maybe it is because people are afraid of losing their culture. I am sure that NC doesn't want to be one of those "do you consider it Southern" threads!
That is certainly part of it too. I was a little reluctant when my wife recently received a job offer in Columbia, SC but after visiting the area I realized that Columbia was very much like Charlotte or Raleigh of 20 years ago. The fact that SC is more Southern, a lot like the NC where I grew up, made the decision to move a lot easier.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM
 
331 posts, read 1,034,818 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
But they bought an exisitng home too. And they had live in Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte suburb) for 20 plus years.
What about the people who owned the house that they bought?

Unless the previous owner died or moved across the country then somewhere down the chain someone bought a new home and thus you indirectly contributed to suburban sprawl.

I'm not knocking you for buying in an established neighborhood, I generally prefer them to new homes, but it takes some real mental gymnastics to think that as a newcomer you aren't contributing to the problem of sprawl by purchasing an existing home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top