U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 AM

37 posts, read 116,548 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocte , and I have a interview lined up near concord. I was wondering what is outdoor activities like in the area. Mainly interested in road bicycling, is it safe, are there alot of other bicycle riders and do you know of any bike groups? I'm coming from the Charleston, WV area , where alot of the Charlotte area transplants come from , we have alot of country roads easily accessible from the city. I know there probally isn't many country roads but are there bike lanes or areas where drivers respect and are use to seeing riders? How about the Albemarle area? That is where my interview is and I could always take my bike with me and ride after work. So basically what I am asking is there any safe bike riding areas in the Concord(living) or Albemarle(working) areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
North Carolina has alot of rural areas so plenty of country roads and you probably will find some good biking roads in Albermarle. Concord is far from being Bike friendly and the car drivers around have a very bully the road is theres attitude.

Yes there is some cycle clubs probably will find them on google.

Bike Lanes are far and few and some end without warning. Alot of cities in the area are considering them and are suppose to be part of a master plan but they will not be added til the road they are going on needs resurfacing.

You might want to consider biking from Albermarle to Morrow Mountain State park for a nice ride. Good luck

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM

648 posts, read 2,734,029 times
The cyclists I know in the area like to ride the areas east and north east of Concord. Irish Potato Rd is a favorite. These are all two lane country roads, great scenery and rolling hills. I think Stanly county has an annual race in the spring.

Here's a DOT map (broken link) of bike routes in Stanly county.

Link to Cabarrus county map on this page.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM

37 posts, read 116,548 times
thanks for the info this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina