U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 99,975 times

Advertisements

I've been in NC for 6 years now, and the only time I've went to see the Panthers play football was when the Jets were in town.

I' can't recall the last time I actually watched a Charlotte Bobcats game on TV. I'm going to the RBC in October to see them play but not because they are playing but because they are playing Dwayne Wades Team and his sidekick LeBum James.

My neighbors give me crap all the time because I refuse to support the hometown team. Who else is from elsewhere and became a Panthers or Bobcats fan.

And don't shoot me, but I don't even like State or UNC, I'm a Rutgers Fan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,443,290 times
Born and raised in NC.

Been a Steelers fan since I was a child. I'll cheer for the Panthers, but don't follow them closely, only been to 1 game.

Been a Canes fan since the day they announced the move. Also followed the IceCaps when they played in Raleigh and the Monarchs when they played in Grensboro.

Never cared at all about pro basketball, never will. Wouldn't go to a game in Charlotte if they gave me courtside seats.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,232,834 times
I am a RAVENS fan and meet up with other RAVENS fans in Raleigh. I wentt to a Panthers game when the RAVENS were in town. Also went to a Bobcats game but don't care about NBA (nephew wanted to go)

Still an O's fan, Like the Durham Bulls except when Norfolk Tides are in town (O's farm team)

I am a Canes fan though as my first hockey game was at RBC.

Don't dislike the Panthers but have found my friends down here are more into college football compared to northerners.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,656,699 times
I'm kind of the opposite. I haven't moved down to the area yet, we're working on that, but I'm a fan of the local sports teams and have been for years.

We currently live on Long Island, but are avid Braves, Panthers, and Canes fans. We've been down to Charlotte three times to see the Panthers and have been to RBC four times to watch our Canes.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM

16,802 posts, read 25,884,706 times
We root for the Mets and football Giants but the kids like the college teams (football and basketball) and while they aren't crazy about pro basketball and hockey if we went to a game they'd root for the home (NC) team. We like minor league baseball so that's another plus down here.

But for baseball and football, there is NO switching allegiances. I believe I personally would be disowned if I rooted for another football team!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 PM

9,569 posts, read 27,055,639 times
I have been here six years as well. I'm not a huge pro sports fan (I prefer college sports) but I do support the Panthers and Canes. By support I mean I follow their games / scores in the media and root for them if I happen to see them on TV. I don't attend games becuase of the cost of the tickets and expensive beer. I'd rather enjoy it on my nice HD TV drinking a local brew I bought for $1.50. I'm not much of a pro basketball fan so the Bobcats and the rest of the NBA is off my radar.

I do however fully support the Durham Bulls and regularly attend their games since they are very affordable.

I also root for NC State and UNC when they aren't playing Va Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetae View Post
I'm a Rutgers Fan..
^^ You have my sympathies!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,778,090 times
I moved from pittsburgh when I was 9. Not really a sports fan, but I'll usually pull for the Steelers or Panthers if they are playing (panthers won't get my vote when they barely show up to play, as they have recently, but when they are competitive and deserve it, I'll pull for them.)

But if you want to speak true allegience, then I have to say I pull for the home team. I'm NC Pulled Pork ALL THE WAY. I gave up on the notion that BBQ is a verb as soon as I moved here.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM

21 posts, read 56,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
But if you want to speak true allegience, then I have to say I pull for the home team. I'm NC Pulled Pork ALL THE WAY. I gave up on the notion that BBQ is a verb as soon as I moved here.
Some say sports are like religion and the same can be said of 'cue.

We follow most of the local collegiate teams across the board in sports, but aren't that interested in the Panthers or Bobcats. I'm not a fan of the NBA and have been a Steelers fan since I was very young. I've never been a fan of hockey, but I would like to take in a Hurricanes game sometime. Been a Braves fan my entire life, so getting closer to them also has it's advantages. A drive from NC to Atlanta for a ballgame is far more realistic than driving from Ohio.

Charlotte is getting a Major League Lacrosse franchise, so we'll probably try to make a game every year to see them play.

The number of minor league baseball teams in the region is a HUGE plus for any baseball fan that moves to the area. Plenty of variety to pick from.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,903,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetae View Post
My neighbors give me crap all the time because I refuse to support the hometown team.
Since when does physical proximity (of which there ain't that much to Charlotte anyway) equal an obligation to support one corporate entertainment franchise over another? These teams are businesses. To me, it's not like cheering for the college you attended (where you can at least claim some affiliation).

Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM

573 posts, read 1,088,054 times
Is this an offshoot of the earlier "how do I get patriots games in clayton thread?"?

I grew-up in Detroit, but I have been here for about 10 years now. We moved here because we loved the area and this is where we wanted to be. I feel obliged to root for the home team now. Sure the Panther have mostly been better than the Lions in the time I have been here, but that changed last year and I will still cheer for the Panthers. I am an even bigger hockey fan than football fan, and I even converted to the Canes over the Wings. Sure most years the Canes don't make the playoffs and I end-up cheering on the Wings anyway, but when they do play head-to-head it's Canes all the way (see 2002 Stanley Cup Finals).

It might be different for those that moved here for work, or some other reason than me --- I don't know, I can't speak for anyone else.

College is also a bit different. I can understand rooting for your alma mater over the local schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina