Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

123 posts, read 437,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
I started to write a long thread about this but I decided to delete it.

In general, since you believe there's more racism down here in the south, why don't you stay up there? You've pretty much judged us without saying you've witnessed it firsthand. Its like you've already stereotyped southerners without getting to know us.

You sound like a racist person yourself.
AMEN! I'm really getting sick of all these "Southerners are racist" threads. Attitudes like that are judgmental and bigoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
AMEN! I'm really getting sick of all these "Southerners are racist" threads. Attitudes like that are judgmental and bigoted.
Personally I feel that the south is the least racist section of the country due to the overwhelming awareness that's placed on it from the slavery heritage and the huge population of American Americans. All the top states with the highest population per capita are in the south. Its beat into this area that racism is wrong unlike the north and other areas which don't get the brunt of any residual anger from slavery. The whole country has small pockets of KKK or KKK like attitudes but I dare say its much more predominant in other areas. The only area I'd say is a bit worse is WNC because of its unique geography that kept a lot of people, white and black, out for a long time so there is a general distrust of outsiders.

Had a long discussion about this in a class once and everyone agreed. Just go out to a ranch in Wyoming with that attitude and see what happens...

Last edited by saucystargazer; 07-19-2011 at 03:32 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
^ Saucy, I agree. My own personal experience, for what it's worth--

I grew up in a very segregated small southern town in southeastern NC. I remember many places having 3 bathrooms, most all restaurants were white-only, and the movie theatres had a balcony for "colored" people because they weren't allowed in the main auditorium downstairs. At the same time, I got to know the incredibly friendly older black man who worked at the grocery store (Danny was his name--I'll never forget him). I knew the maids who worked for some of my friends' families, the guy at the gas station, and especially the few black kids whose parents had the courage to send them to formerly all-white schools even before forced integration. We lived among black people, and we got to know them as human beings. While the segregation was clear, and my generation generally accepted that things were just that way, we had no particular animosity towards black people.

So when our schools were forced to integrate (I was entering the 5th grade), it wasn't a big deal at my school. We had known for a while that it was coming, we already had a few black kids in our school who were well-liked, and we were probably too young to know any better. We did hear about a few fights at the high school early in that year, but to us it was a very distant thing. We played together, learned together, ate together, and even went to the rest room together at school, but unfortunately we rarely interacted outside of school. Yet somewhere along the way most of us came to realize that skin color doesn't make someone inherently better or worse than anyone else. And perhaps having seen or heard firsthand many racist incidents and remarks, I think you get reminded by your memories how wrong racism is.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM

348 posts, read 849,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Louis View Post
I'm a 21 year old AA male living in Massachusetts (with family) and might want to live in North Carolina (only if I get a research job at a university) on my own once I get my Bachelors. The reason I want to move from Massachusetts is because the people (of other races) are so liberal but at the same time racist. They act like they accept everyone when they don't. Harvard is one of the most racist universities in the whole country (if not the whole world).

I know there's more racism in the South but are there any places in North Carolina that are friendly to black people.
I wish you luck in your quest to find a research position. Assuming you do land a position, please do not paint people in your new environ with the same broad brush with which you've painted people from MA, Harvard U., and "The South".

I live in the Boston metro area and take exception (as I am one of those "other races" of which you refer) to being refered to as being racist.

Oxforddictionaries.com gives the following defintion to "racism":

<LI id=m_en_gb0682560.001 class="sense sense-type-core scrollerBlock">the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race , especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
<LI class="subSense scrollerBlock">prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior:

Racism is not a one-way street. Racism is not regional, nor is it pervasive in Boston, Massachusetts, Cambridge, Harvard, New England, or "The South", etc. And, it's unfair for anyone to hurl that accusation so liberally.

I can't imagine you finding happiness anywhere if you think that "Massachusetts" - well, everyone of those "other races", is racist.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 AM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Big research unis: UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, NCSU, Wake Forest, ECU, UNC-Charlotte.

Chapel Hill, Duke and State (NCSU) will be the most progressive, bigotry-free and in the most progressive area, though a certain degree of that progressivism is or can be cosmetic and not especially deeply thought to so might want to watch out for that. At the same time, expect to be accepted if you just do your job, and live a life comfortable in your own skin. Charlotte and ECU are at the conservativeend of the spectrum, but I grew up in Charlotte, and knew faculty at UNC and they loved the environment. I also know ECU grads, and while it's fairly conservative, it's a bastion of freethinking compared to the remainder of e NC, and as it's located in a very fast growing city/town (Greenville will crack the 100,000 mark before the next census; it's growth rate is similar to Raleigh or Charlotte, in a smaller city), it's conservatism, or any-kind-of-ism, is highly dynamic, shape-shifting, and ever-evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina