Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM

16 posts, read 44,267 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I've posted here a few times, but I have yet to make the move to North Carolina. I'm from Upstate NY, and I've been considering moving to NC for quite some time now. I have family in Charlotte, and I'd like to be no more than 90 minutes away from them. I'd love to be within 30-60 mins of a beach, but I'm not sure if these two requirements are feasible. I'd like:

-Great schools (a University for my daughter and K-12 for my son)
-A good hospital with a need for RN's
-An animal-friendly community; a good veterinary hospital
-To be near shopping complexes, movie theaters and good restaurants.
-A safe community
-To meet friendly North Carolinians (I've read a few horror stories of "yankee-haters" on here...true or not?)
-A duplex/two-family/triplex/single family with an in-law apartment for under $250k

Which area would best suit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Beaches are at least 3.5 hours from Charlotte, so that's the first decision you'll have to make: more than 90 minutes from relatives, or more than two hours from the beach.

Last year Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC were suggested. Have you looked into those?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
Hello all! I've posted here a few times, but I have yet to make the move to North Carolina. I'm from Upstate NY, and I've been considering moving to NC for quite some time now. I have family in Charlotte, and I'd like to be no more than 90 minutes away from them. I'd love to be within 30-60 mins of a beach, but I'm not sure if these two requirements are feasible. I'd like:

-A safe community
-To meet friendly North Carolinians (I've read a few horror stories of "yankee-haters" on here...true or not?)
-A duplex/two-family/triplex/single family with an in-law apartment for under $250k

90 Minutes to Charlotte and 30-60 to the beach will not work but if you look in Moore county you can still be 90 minutes from Charlotte . NC First health has a huge hospital complex in Pinehurst and there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, movies and everything the big cities have except for overpopulation.
We found Moore County just by chance by taking a drive to Pinehurst and we both fell in love with the area.
Many homes in your price range and if you look just a little West of Pinehurst many homes with large properties.

50/50 mix of Northerners and NC locals.

You can also leave your snow shovels back in NY

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoutureKitten View Post
I have family in Charlotte, and I'd like to be no more than 90 minutes away from them. I'd love to be within 30-60 mins of a beach, but I'm not sure if these two requirements are feasible.
Not really, in NC, but if you look at South Carolina, perhaps Columbia or the Florence area, you can be midway between Charlotte and Myrtle Beach, SC (which as I understand it is the beach a lot of CLT folks go to) or other SC beaches. It's MUCH closer than the NC beaches (look at a map).

Quote:
-A safe community
Most places will have most of these (animal-friendly, good vets, shopping complexes). If you're an RN, finding hospitals should be near the top of the list. Do you require that the university be right IN the same town you're in? Otherwise, I don't know that that is relevant.

Southerners are generally friendly to those transplants who are not patronizing nor constantly complain that "You don't do it like we did up North!" Friendliness begets friendliness, in other words, in addition to "When in Rome..." The "Yankees" people have problems with are the one who move here and then (loudly) try to make the area be just like where they came from (hmmm, so why did they leave to begin with? ) and complain about anything that's not what they're used to, instead of realizing that there is always adaptation when moving to another place/region and appreciating the differences and culture of your new place.

PS-refering to "suiting my demands" instead of "suiting my needs" does not get you off to a good start, I must say! Is there a particular reason you used that wording? Being "demanding" as a general is not a good way to be taken into the fold by your neighbors and showered with friendliness.

Quote:
It's hard for anyone on the Internet to know what would "suit you" since we don't know you. I would suggest starting with looking at the web sites of hospitals between Charlotte and the coast (NC and SC) and then researching the areas they are in, to see how the rest of your criteria go down. If proximity to both Charlotte and the coast, in addition to a university, are your goal, I would seriously say to look into Columbia, SC, which is in fact two hours from the coast (straight down an interstate!) and 90 minutes from Charlotte and does have a good university and hospitals, plus it's an "up-and-coming" area.

Last edited by Francois; 11-10-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
What Francois said and there is NO nursing shortage here, so unless someone has offered you a contract and a start date, I wouldn't be quitting your current job. Postings do not mean positions to be filled any time soon.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

119 posts, read 261,520 times
there are definitely yankee haters out here but they are few and far between. I am from Apex, NC and I have def met them. Most of them I think its not so much that they are yankee's but the fact that NC has just been growing like crazy and the locals of NC are pissed cause their small rural communities are turning into huge metro areas with traffic and all. They really are not as bad as I am making them out to be but they are here.

now this is not near the beach but I know a bunch of people who live in cornelius/huntersville, NC and they love it. It is right next to lake norman where you can have a lake house. I dont know if there are any public spots to swim or what not but that could be an alternative to the beach.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM

42 posts, read 71,140 times
I live in Greensboro NC, 90 miles from Charlotte, 3hrs from the beach with two large hospitals in the area, Moses Cone, and Baptist Medical Center. The area is pretty, good schools, no metro traffic problems, some very good animal hospitals, good shopping, and very centrally located. Mountains, lakes, beaches, all within driving distance.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM

81 posts, read 158,761 times
Charlotte or Raleigh area unless you want major transplant shock. I think Charlotte is a much better choice and is quite Yankee friendly, the Lake Norman & Ballantyne areas seem to be the most popular for Northern transplants. I heard Pinehurst mentioned and I wouldn't do it. The schools are no comparison to either Charlotte or Raleigh and unless you want to feel isolated and in the middle of nowhere.........

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM

81 posts, read 158,761 times
Forgot to add Charlotte has tons of opportunities for RNs

Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,411 times
Default Winston-Salem

1. I have family in Charlotte, and I'd like to be no more than 90 minutes away from them. Answer Yes We have two direct interstate highway routes: Hwy 52 to I-85 and I-40 to I-77. And a few of the back road routes.
2. I'd love to be within 30-60 mins of a beach, but I'm not sure if these two requirements are feasible. Anwer. No. But we are about 4 hours from the coast. Thing is we have a couple of hours to the mountains. Both worlds. Beach/mountain summer or winter. To get you that close to the coast you would be looking a a coastal plain town. Which would place you in a more than hot Hades zone in the summer and in the middle of nowhere and a few hours from Charlotte.

3. a University for my daughter Awnser Yes There is Wake Forest Universty, Salem College, Winston-Salem State and Forsyth Techenicial College. There are also many close by. That would have to be the college search and acceptance thing. There are many great colleges in NC as a whole. Thing is is she will be considered out of state for the first year of Permanent Residence. This is pretty much for all colleges in NC. So being close to the college. I think is less important than the K-12 School for your son. We have many fine public & private schools here. There again once you make your choice of the city it will depend on the area of the city for the school.
4. A good hospital with a need for RN's Answer A Large YES!!! Forsyth Hospitial, Medical Park, Baptist Hospital, Benners Childrens Hospitial and many good GP around the city. There are also a few Hospitials with in easy commute High Point Regional and Mose Cone in Greensboro. Forsyth has also opened an annex in Kenersville and think one will be in Northern Davie County soon.
5. An animal-friendly community; a good veterinary hospital Answer yes. We have the doggie parks and may pet friendly places.
6.To be near shopping complexes, movie theaters and good restaurants. Answer Yes
7. A safe community Answer Yes.. is here North Carolina cities crime ratings . But since I live here. Would better than the rest of the choices
8. To meet friendly North Carolinians Answer Yes We all general use to hang all Yankees from the shortest pine tree. But had to quit because that had to much weight on the =m and could not grow. LOL You will be fine.
9. A duplex/two-family/triplex/single family with an in-law apartment for under $250k Answer is Market is pretty fairly mixed in good areas. Some deals are out there.
10. Which area would best suit me? Answer is For the most part where to live in NC is like a pair of pants. You need to try them on before buying them. Visit a couple of the city you might think will fit. We do not bite!!! Yet!! [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina