Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times

Advertisements

I seriously am considering a move to the Triangle area because of all the history in NC and the 4 seasons, and the moderate temps. I am currently in Phoenix, AZ and we are in the height of the heat right now. I visited Raleigh-Durham a few years ago and am coming back in October but am interested to know if anyone has moved to Phoenix, then came back, for whatever reason, to NC. I believe it's such a beautiful state and has more for me to do there, as a retiree, than here. Always wanted to live in an old house, volunteer in a museum, take classes with older adults, garden in real dirt, maybe go to the beach.

Am I just a romantic dreamer or would it work? Wadda ya think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,079 times
Wait till it is 92 and 75% humidity. You will move back. We have that wet heat.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Wait till it is 92 and 75% humidity. You will move back. We have that wet heat.
I cannot stand NC summers unless I am on the beach in the water. I almost moved to Phoenix and then decided to try NC instead. It is kind of like picking between two evils in the summer...dry heat or wet heat. Being from the west coast, I am now seriously leaning towards dry heat!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
A friend of mine moved from Raleigh to Phoenix last year and is really unhappy. She tells me that, as time goes by, she realizes how special Raleigh was to her. BTW, she's not a NC native. So, it's not about her longing for her roots.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I cannot stand NC summers unless I am on the beach in the water. I almost moved to Phoenix and then decided to try NC instead. It is kind of like picking between two evils in the summer...dry heat or wet heat. Being from the west coast, I am now seriously leaning towards dry heat!

It's not so dry here right now. During monsoon season we do get rain and humidity. The weather between the Phoenix and Raleigh isn't all that different this week

Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I seriously am considering a move to the Triangle area because of all the history in NC and the 4 seasons, and the moderate temps. I am currently in Phoenix, AZ and we are in the height of the heat right now. I visited Raleigh-Durham a few years ago and am coming back in October but am interested to know if anyone has moved to Phoenix, then came back, for whatever reason, to NC. I believe it's such a beautiful state and has more for me to do there, as a retiree, than here. Always wanted to live in an old house, volunteer in a museum, take classes with older adults, garden in real dirt, maybe go to the beach.

Am I just a romantic dreamer or would it work? Wadda ya think??

I love the dirt comment. I too would love to plant a tree without the use of a jack hammer!

I too am doing some very preliminary research. I love it here, but after growing up surrounded in green the desert wears on you. It was beautiful for the last 5 years, but it's time for a change.
I also long for something old that isn't, well, crummy. There are very few older neighborhoods around here that have an architectural style I enjoy. Block single story homes with low roof pitches aren't appealing to me.
For daily life I do absolutely love how new it is here. There is a great deal of appeal to living in such a new area. Most the places I visit in my daily life were vacant lots 5-10 years ago.
The downside of that is the lack of established businesses though. You really need to work hard seeking out places that aren't still trying to pay off the mortgage. it also leads to everything looking the same since they all are created with modern architectural styles.

If I were retired and had the means I would look for a rental there for a little while, then make my decision.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Thanks everyone. I was wondering how I could go about finding someone in NC who would want to try Phoenix and would trade houses with me for a couple months. There must be some people there who are sick and tired of the ....(whatever) in NC and want to try AZ to see if they like it.. Just don't know how to find those interested. Any ideas??

Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Thanks everyone. I was wondering how I could go about finding someone in NC who would want to try Phoenix and would trade houses with me for a couple months.
It exists... but that's tough on a lot of levels.

They exist certainly... but I'll suggest focusing on YOU first.
Find someone in NC who has room in their home for another person.

No legalities, no buying or selling houses, no furniture or design drama... just a few suitcases and boxes and a cross country road trip to try it out see what's what for a year or two.
---

And in the process maybe find someone who would like to winter in AZ and do that exchange seasonally.
I (for one) could easily be persuaded to do that but there aren't a lot of 45-50yo women with that latitude.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-23-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,580 times
I am pretty sure there are house swapping websites out there. I think it is more common than we realize, especially with how slow the housing market is right now. I have heard of people doing it for vacations too. I just don't know what reputable website to suggest...I just recommend if you visit, come out in Jan/Feb or Jul/Aug for over 1 week!! I personally think those are the 4 worst months of the year in NC. Don't do it in the fall or spring, you may fall in love and have regrets later.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 101,990 times
My wife is from Phoenix. I am from right outside of Charlotte. She would move back in a heartbeat if she could, and I would go with her. Stay in Phoenix...I also hear that Flagstaff is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina