Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

I'm single, mid-thirties, pediatrician (colorado native) relocating from NYC after training to be near friend in Fayetteville (HS sweetheart and Charlotte, NC native). I don't want to live in Fayetteville because said friend will only be around 2-4mo/year but I need to be within 1 hour driving distance from Fort Bragg.

I'm looking for a community with a cosmopolitan feel without being too stuffy. An upscale college town like Boulder, Colorado would be ideal. I plan to work in a nearby underserved community so easy access to highways and airports is a plus. I don't have kids (yet) so that's not an issue.

I know some suburbs of Charlotte and R-D/Cary area are considered "hip" but they are a little too far away. Pinehurst and Seven Lakes sound nice but very manicured and homogeneous.

Is there anyone out there who can relate? Where do young, outdoorsy intellectuals go to live and play near Fayetteville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,899,299 times
Hello!

I not only travel to that area on biz, but some of my biz involves pediatricians! I have to tell you, I would look at the 'burbs of Raleigh. It's not as far as you think. A little over an hour yes, but cosmopolitan and 1 hour from Fayetteville do not go together. That's why I live in Charlotte!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM

999 posts, read 4,642,793 times
Some of the southern suburbs of Raleigh would be less than an hour from the BASE as you specified.....Specifically, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs. I'm not very familiar with those areas, only having driven through them back and forth from Duke a few times, so I don't know if they would be what you're looking for. There really is not much within an hour of Fayetteville proper. Again, looking at an hour from the base (when you mapquest just list Ft Bragg, NC as your starting point) it gives you more options. I lived in southwestern Fayetteville, a good 30 min from the base.
As I was reading your post, my first thought was Aberdeen/Pinehurst/Southern Pines, until I saw that you didn't want PInehurst. However, if you haven't been there I would suggest that you drive through, you may be surprised at what you find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina