U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM

608 posts, read 539,054 times
I have lived in Sanford my entire 50 years. You'll be paying quite a bit more if you live in Cary, Raleigh, etc. I drive to and from Raleigh every day to work. I'm on the north side of town and I can drive my 45 miles one way in about 35 to 40 minutes depending on traffic.

Sanford is what you make of it. It's small town with good people. "Hick town" is so off the mark. It has plenty of places to fill your shopping needs and a lot of places to dine. It even has a Super Wally World. Ok, maybe it is a hick town after all.

I hope the day never comes where I have to live in Raleigh, Cary, etc. The traffic sucks and most of the drivers leave a lot to be desired. Give me a small town any day and I'm a happy man. Teachers are one of the most underpaid and under appreciated professions. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 AM

7,337 posts, read 9,260,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
HAH Kyle, but yes, you forgot something else for required Cary residency: Income over 200K; and Lowe's brown yard trash bags (because it's against city ordinance to leave grass clippings in the yard in many parts of that city - so don't forget that bagger on your mower - it's a necessity- and put those grass clippings by the side of the street promptly or you'll be paying a ticket!).

Lindsay Just other things you'll want to research when you move - city ordinances/HOAs, stuff like that.... I know in Riverwood, a s/d in Clayton that I rented a house in for over 2 years, you can't even park any type of boat or camper in your own driveway or store it on your big .22 acre yard....I've lived as a single female with responsibilities (single mom lol) in the Wake County/Johnston County area since 1998 (except for almost 2 years in GA) and would N-O-T classify this area as an area with swinging nightlife, etc. unless you are interested in hanging around a bunch of college-aged kids (several local colleges in Raleigh, thus, nightlife in Raleigh is primarily college-aged kids hanging out downtown at night). I guess there are sports bars here, but that somehow doesn't equate to real nightlife in my mind. Real nightlife is in Hot-lanta GA, about 7 hours down the road lolll

Best of luck teaching....hopefully, you'll get a few years of experience under your belt, some excellent recommendations, then go to a state who takes pride in paying their teachers a little bit more than $30,000 a year....it's a hard job. Use it as a stepping stone, or (if you haven't already) immediately start on your Masters so in a few years, you can receive a pay increase.....

Great advice. I have over 15 years (last 3 in NC)and will be ready to move on in the next 2 months...

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM

635 posts, read 1,753,095 times
Sanford...

Historically:

- Home of the Heins family, who started Alltel
- Home of the family that partnered to bring Belk stores to NC
- Home of the Isenhours, and others that made Sanford the largest brick supplier in the nation
- Home of quarries that supplied much of the brownstone to Philadelphia and New York

Today:

- Home of the only Caterpillar plant that makes their skid-steer products
- Home of the east coast Coty products factory
- Home to Moen, Pfizer, 3M and Static Control factories, among others.
- CCCC, one of the best community colleges in NC

Lowes Home Improvement so loved Sanford that they rebuilt their tornado ravaged store in 7 months.

More interesting info about Sanford:

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina (http://www.downtownsanford.com/index.htm - broken link)

Lee County (NC) Economic Development | Research Triangle Region

I'm certain that many of Sanford's long-time residents are proud of all of Sanford's history, both industrial and agricultural, and it is true that much of Sanford's appeal is its rural nature. But it would be unfair and inaccurate to label Sanford as anything but the intelligent, vibrant and growing community that it is.

Rest assured, it is most definitely not "hick town"

Al

Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,026 times
just don't come.. trust me, run.. run as fast as you can in the other direction. I've lived all over the south and Sanford, NC is the worse place i have ever lived in. The town is a dump. The people here are some of the unfriendliest I have ever known... they have this snobbery because they are all closed off from the rest of the world. I've lived here for over 10 years. Since you are coming from the north you will be like the rest of the people I know that have migrated here from the north and find yourself to be completely miserable. Live in Cary, commute here if you have to. As for those who say you are taking other people's money, I promise you that you will find the Lee County school system to be the worse system ever! It is incestuous and smacks of nepotism! The children here are horrendous.. yes weapons are frequent in the schools. Lack of structure and discipline. Don't settle just for a job please! Be happy. The good news for me is that i'm moving out of here in two months and will be headed to Tennessee... I lived there for two years and it is by far way better than Sanford. For all those silly Carolina natives... SEC all the way. Also, I once had a prominent business person in Sanford tell me they have been all around the world and there is no better place than Sanford. What a moron! I've been all around the world myself and can tell you i'd rather be living in the fishing towns of Ireland than this god-forsaken place!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,026 times
Yes, I just told a different story than what the natives will tell you. Are there friendly people in Sanford? Sure. Friendly people are everywhere. But when you are young and want to experience life, unless you just love being on a Farm then Sanford will not be the place for you. I wasn't kidding about the school system. It has consistently been one of the worse performing school systems in one of the worse performing states in the country! Go to the suburbs or Atlanta if you want a quality school system that isn't so close minded. By the way, i'm not a teacher!

The Sanford Natives get defensive because the rest of the area tends to look down on Lee County so I can understand some of this. All of the people I know in Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, and Cary always ask me, how can you stand living in that place? They can't even imagine living here and they are from NC! There just isn't anything to do unless you want to do what the country song says and "howl at the moon, shoot out the lights, it's a small town saturday night"

Old 11-07-2011, 03:10 PM

635 posts, read 1,753,095 times
Lightbulb Sanford isn't perfect, but has a lot going for it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... but I think thou doth protest too much. Read into that what you will

As I've pointed out in several other posts, everyone's experience will differ based on their own expectations and needs. I do concur that for a young person looking for exciting nightlife, Sanford probably isn't the first choice. But then again, it is a nice quiet town only 30 minutes away from several other cities with plenty of nightlife. So it just depends on what one is looking for.

Sanford isn't perfect and like any community has lots of opportunity for improvement, but it certainly isn't anything as distressing as described in the previous post.

I'd suggest doing a search for "Sanford" in the NC and NC sub-forums to find several posts with more perspective on living in Sanford.

But I can say this: We moved to Sanford 5 years ago, from San Jose, CA via a one year rental in Cary in-between. I lived in California for 10 years, and my wife is a native Californian. I too have lived and worked all over this nation, and internationally, and yet we have made Sanford our home and love it here. So it can't be all that bad.

Our three children attend Lee County Schools, and having experienced the school systems in California and Wake County, we have not seen any disadvantages.

Regarding school performance, make your own judgements:

NC Report Cards Lee County 2010-11

Good luck!
Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina