Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 13,361 times

Advertisements

We have been thinking of getting out of high priced CT and moving to more realistic NC. My husband works remotely from a home office so we could move anywhere. We have 2 children (5yrs and 4yrs) so looking for a great school system / good community for families. I like seasons but OK with missing harsh New England winters. Where should we go?? Pls share your opinions. Anyone familiar with CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:44 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinCT View Post
Where should we go??
Seems like it can be anywhere you want. Could you help narrow down your options a bit?

Quote:
Anyone familiar with CT?
Yes, very.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM

I know. Sure would help if I could narrow it down. We currently live In Colchester, CT and would love to find a comparable town...without paying high mortgage/taxes for just an OK house. Maybe we should stay in the Triad area? What are the summers and winters like there? I would miss seeing snow.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:37 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
If you like the historic feel of Colchester, you might try Oxford or New Bern. There is snow (some years) in most places in NC. Summers last longer, and are hotter and more humid than in Connecticut.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I know. Sure would help if I could narrow it down. We currently live In Colchester, CT and would love to find a comparable town...without paying high mortgage/taxes for just an OK house. Maybe we should stay in the Triad area? What are the summers and winters like there? I would miss seeing snow.
For those of us who have never heard of Colchester, can you be more specific in what "accoutrements" you want in a town? NC has mountains and beaches; urban and rural, liberal and progressive, etc. You name it, it's here (except non-humid summers ) but the more details about your desires and requirements, the better people can help. What made you decide on NC in the first place if you don't know of specific places? Have you ever visited?

City-Data has little demographic "capsules" about many cities; you might want to research some of them here.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Another town with a lot of historic homes is Hillsborough, which is bigger than Oxford, and closer to Durham.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:54 PM

[quote=Francois;20176704]For those of us who have never heard of Colchester, can you be more specific in what "accoutrements" you want in a town? NC has mountains and beaches; urban and rural, liberal and progressive, etc.

We would like to be in driving distance to the beach - within 1-2 hours. We don't want urban, but not in the sticks. Population around 20-30,000. Looking for a town with some charm. Not super left liberal but maybe progressive is a better term for us.

Yes, visited years ago but not since we've been thinking about moving. We are giving ourselves at least a year to sell our CT house and figure out where we are going....NC because we are sick of CT prices. We won't go north b/c it's colder. NY, NJ, DC, VA are not as affordable as NC. I like NC b/c you have beach, mountains, etc.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
[quote=MovinCT;20177891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
For those of us who have never heard of Colchester, can you be more specific in what "accoutrements" you want in a town? NC has mountains and beaches; urban and rural, liberal and progressive, etc.

We would like to be in driving distance to the beach - within 1-2 hours. We don't want urban, but not in the sticks. Population around 20-30,000. Looking for a town with some charm. Not super left liberal but maybe progressive is a better term for us.

Yes, visited years ago but not since we've been thinking about moving. We are giving ourselves at least a year to sell our CT house and figure out where we are going....NC because we are sick of CT prices. We won't go north b/c it's colder. NY, NJ, DC, VA are not as affordable as NC. I like NC b/c you have beach, mountains, etc.
There are no smaller "left leaning/progressive" towns in NC that meet your criteria of 1 - 2 hours to the beach. Rural/small town NC is very conservative. I was going to suggest New Bern? I would guess it's pretty conservative but I am not sure. If you don't mind 3 hours to the beach, maybe a town like Hillsborough or Chapel Hill - college towns that are left leaning because of the students/professors. Raleigh is left leaning due to all the yankee transplants and being urban, but of course it's also huge. I have heard Asheville in the mountains of western NC is somewhat liberal, but that is 6 hours from the ocean. Where are the right-leaning areas of Connecticut by the way?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
[quote=RVAtoCNC;20207363]
Quote:
There are no smaller "left leaning/progressive" towns in NC that meet your criteria of 1 - 2 hours to the beach. Rural/small town NC is very conservative. I was going to suggest New Bern? I would guess it's pretty conservative but I am not sure. If you don't mind 3 hours to the beach, maybe a town like Hillsborough or Chapel Hill - college towns that are left leaning because of the students/professors. Raleigh is left leaning due to all the yankee transplants and being urban, but of course it's also huge. I have heard Asheville in the mountains of western NC is somewhat liberal, but that is 6 hours from the ocean. Where are the right-leaning areas of Connecticut by the way?
Greenville, being a college town, will be kind of left-leaning, but it's more like a small city. You might look into the newer suburbs that have sprawled around Greenville in recent years (spillover from the university) such as Winterville.

Wilmington would be similar, but again is a small city, not a little town. You need to understand that NC in general is a LOT more conservative than CT and while we are a "Purple" state voting wise, Southern Republicans are a whole 'nother animal from New England Republicans, as are Southern Democrats. That's not to say there are not many, many, native-born progressive Southerners, but they usually aren't concentrated in any one area. I know a lot of liberal folks in Wilson, while might almost fit some of your criteria, but still, it will be much more conservative overall than you are probably expecting.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
. . .
I like NC b/c you have beach, mountains, etc.
How about Oregon? (Warning: beaches are different there.) Or do you need to stay on the East Coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina