Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 PM

277 posts, read 373,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
The NC Department of Revenue is a joke. I cannot believe how bad they are at their job. Two years in a row I received a bill from them stating I did not pay any NC taxes from the previous year. Each time I provided a copy of the tax return I filed with them, along with a copy of my W-2. To make it worse, my employer, the ones who took these taxes out? I work for . . . the State of North Carolina!!

What a joke. Fortunately, they are quick to say "Ooops", and drop their collections.
Lovely, but I think it is unfair to pigeon hole the state of North Carolina on this. I think most of the states have problems with this. 3 years ago, the state of West Virginia (which I have not lived there since 1998), sent my mother a rather strongly worded letter about my employment status in West Virginia and they had reason to believe, that because I worked for an employer in West Virginia that got in some serious trouble for tax evasion that I was being paid under the table and taxable earning were not being reported, since they thought I still lived there. I left the state and that employer in 1998 and this happened in 2004.

It took West Virginia over 6 years to figure this one out. I had to contact the state and advised that I lived Florida. They stated that I had Unclaimed Property in the Treasury, which took me by surprise, and they said they would just take the taxes owed out of that. Say what? Wow! They wanted to charge me for fiscal years 2001, 2002, and 2003, but yet, I did not even reside in that state and lived over 900 miles away. I sent copy of payment stubs for my employer and they were convinced I lived elsewhere and not in West Virginia. Hey, it only took them over 6 years to figure that one out. DUH! Then I got the $4000.00 in unclaimed property (from the Shingleton law suit against another one of my former employers in that state) that the state owed me.

I guess that one was a catch 22! They claimed I owed money and then had to turn around and pay me money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
I live and work in Hong Kong. I own a house in North Carolina that I vacation in. I also have a North Carolina Driver's License and am registered to vote there. However, my income is earned in Hong Kong and I pay Hong Kong taxes on that income. I also have a pension that is deposited into a credit union account in Connecticut. Does anyone know what my tax liabilty (if any) would be in North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: