Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM

91 posts, read 205,611 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Im 30, married, no kids, and have been with my company for 6 years. They are giving us a great opportunity to move to NC since business is horrible in the north-east. Our options are, E. Durham, Charlotte, Wilmington, New Bern, and Marion/Forest City. I have NEVER lived outside of NJ. I am BEYOND EXCITED about living somewhere else. I have done tons of research on these message boards about all these cities and still dont know which I should pick. My biggest concerns are: diversity, property values, night life, and employment for my husband (he does customer service work). Unfortunately, his job is non-transferable since it only services NJ.
Any info anyone can share will be GREATLY appreciated! I have to make up my by Thursday. This is keeping me up at night since Im sure about the move, but unsure about the location. Thank you all again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Well, you could eliminate New Bern and Forest City if you want night life. And Charlotte and Durham would both offer night-life and (probably) better opportunities for your husband. Why not go to a job board like Monster, and count the job possibilites for your husband? Since Charlotte is a way bigger, I suspect the job opportunities will be better.
Finally, you ask about property values, and I think that is a function of choosing the right neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
concur, Charlotte seems a great choice considering your criteria.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM

how about safety? durham/triangle area or charlotte/suburb areas?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyloca View Post
how about safety? durham/triangle area or charlotte/suburb areas?
There is not much difference, going by the the City-data crime index. Both Charlotte and Durham have lower crime indexes than Newark, NJ, and higher than Jersey City or Brunswick. Charlotte's index for 2009 was 471, Durham's was 482, Newark's was 493. Jersey City was 364 and Brunswick was 367.

I don't think you will have much to worry about if you live and work in middle-class neighborhoods. Check some of the boards asking about crime in Durham or Charlotte.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
How exciting for you....I lived in Charlotte and loved it....largest city so chance for best night-life and jobs as reported. Crime is there as everywhere....just need to find the right neighborhood.

Charlotte is on the southern border of NC, so a bit warmer year-round that the others. About 4 hrs to the beaches, which are LOVELY in NC. Wilmington is on the coast and smaller city but has a tourist draw and several colleges so bars/restaurantsnight-life is here.

Marion is small and there is NOTHING THERE. Skip it. I personally do not care for Durham...but it is closer to the beach ie 2 and 1/2 hrs or so.

good luck

Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How exciting for you....I lived in Charlotte and loved it....largest city so chance for best night-life and jobs as reported. Crime is there as everywhere....just need to find the right neighborhood.

Charlotte is on the southern border of NC, so a bit warmer year-round that the others. About 4 hrs to the beaches, which are LOVELY in NC. Wilmington is on the coast and smaller city but has a tourist draw and several colleges so bars/restaurantsnight-life is here.

Marion is small and there is NOTHING THERE. Skip it. I personally do not care for Durham...but it is closer to the beach ie 2 and 1/2 hrs or so.

good luck
What made you leave Charlotte if you don't mind me probIng? Why weren't you a fan of Durham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina