Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:43 PM

210 posts, read 748,924 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever built a house with Toll Brothers? Was it a good experience? Bad experience? Would really like to know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
Never built with Toll Brothers but have been in many of their homes. They are wonderful builders. My daughter even worked for Toll Brothers for awhile in Brier Creek. That is when I first heard about them. Now being a realtor I have had the opportunity to be in many of their homes. I really love the town homes that they have. I have considered moving into one of those also. I just listed and sold my home in 4 days, and am now going to rent for 1 year until I decide where I want to live also. I know a couple great custom builders personally that I may choose from. We'll see. Toll Brothers is one that I do like.

Debbie

Old 06-22-2006, 07:03 PM

41 posts, read 161,860 times
a while back in mass. toll bros. did a lot of work in north andover the boston globe did a a story of real shoddy work alot of things not done right houses new houses falling apart that was a few years back

Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I've had clients from Maryland that really liked their Toll Brothers home. And I also had clients that lived in the first townhouses that Toll Brothers built in Brier Creek. They had mold issues. It was a big deal around here for a while. My point is that you can have custom builders or production builders and sometimes you are satisfied and sometimes not. I have showed Toll Brothers homes as well as Pulte and KB Homes and Centex and I've had good experiences and some not so good. Vicki

Old 06-22-2006, 07:15 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
any 10 people, get 10 different opinions.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinginRaleigh
Has anyone ever built a house with Toll Brothers? Was it a good experience? Bad experience? Would really like to know. Thanks.
I haven't but my realtor said that they are very good and she is based in the Charlotte area. Try doing a google search on Toll Brothers and see what comes up. You'd be surprised how many people will post a website about the good/bad/ugly about builders.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
You never know who is posting those postings either. If it is good, it could be the builder themselves. If it is a bad comment it could be another builder. I don't put too much into that like the city search comments.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:01 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF
You never know who is posting those postings either. If it is good, it could be the builder themselves. If it is a bad comment it could be another builder. I don't put too much into that like the city search comments.
Yes you're right as far as who may be doing the actual posting, but you'll also get legit websites that have valid information. I don't recall the name, but I came across a website that gave a brief history/background/reputation of most of the builders and some of that information was confirmed by friends of ours who have had the experience with some of these builders. Guess you have to be careful what you read as long as you can confirm it.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,901 times
Thumbs down Toll Brothers

Yes, I bought from Toll, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. My house is defective from basement floor to roof and Toll refuses to fix it. I am 62 years old, and have spent my life savings on lawyers trying to force Toll to do the right thing. They refuse. The house needs repairs that will cost well over half a million dollars. And I am not alone. Check J. D. Powers ratings of homebuilders, and check the hadd website. You do NOT want to buy from Toll. They are completely unethical.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM

210 posts, read 748,924 times
If there ever was a builder that the words “buyer beware” applied to, this would be Toll Brothers. From what I have been able to find on the internet, if even half of it is true, I’m truly amazed that this company is still in business. I’m also amazed that they haven’t been investigated by the Justice Department of the United States. These are not your typical horror builder stories, and I’m sorry - as we all are, to hear yours. The stories that I have read are horrific and all come back to ethics, which this company does not seem to have. As you said, you are not alone. I understand there is some arbitration clause within the Toll Brother’s contract that the average homebuyer would probably not understand. It apparently takes away all the buyer’s legal rights when you sign with Toll Brothers - no matter what state you are in. No matter what happens with the house, one is tied to the arbitration agreement and arbitration is not part of the court system. Is the arbitration clause the reason they won’t fix your house and you can’t take them to court?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina