U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM

503 posts, read 1,063,961 times
Question Winston-Salem, Union County or Lake Norman???

We have been exploring all different areas of North Carolina and am now very confused. Winston-Salem sounds so pretty and a good buy for your money. Union County is the "in" spot for relocation and am wondering if we missed our boom. Lake Norman, especially the west side seems to be a up and coming area? How would you rate these areas if you could pick any spot to live and enjoy.
PS we have a large family and my husband is in the construction business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2007, 09:01 AM

282 posts, read 665,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
We have been exploring all different areas of North Carolina and am now very confused. Winston-Salem sounds so pretty and a good buy for your money. Union County is the "in" spot for relocation and am wondering if we missed our boom. Lake Norman, especially the west side seems to be a up and coming area? How would you rate these areas if you could pick any spot to live and enjoy.
PS we have a large family and my husband is in the construction business.
I'm in Mich. from what I've learned ,the Lake Norman area is an area to look into.

Unread 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM

3,148 posts, read 5,304,611 times
A lot of where you want to be depends on what you want, and what you want to be close to.

For example, we lived in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Jamestown before moving to Charlotte and finally Huntersville (Lake Norman). Now, living in the Piedmont-Triad region made for a nice easy trips up into Virginia to visit by brother and SIL and our niece and nephew. However, a trip to Georgia to visit my other SIL took a long time. And, I found that we usually were driving down to Charlotte regularly for a lot of our entertainment and nightlife and visiting with the people we know from this area. Since we were driving to Charlotte and Georgia more often, we decided it would make more sense to be closer, and then make the occasional, but longer, trips to W-S or VA. Also, I had wanted to get a boat, so I thought it would make more sense to be closer to Lake Norman and Lake Wylie.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM

648 posts, read 1,896,364 times
Picking between the three, I would choose Winston Salem for the manageable rate of growth. I think I know what Winston-Salem will look like in 15 years. I can't picture either of the other two areas in 15 years, and that scares me.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,885,759 times
But for someone in construction, that very slow rate of growth might not be a good thing.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM

648 posts, read 1,896,364 times
Oh, I answered the question (...if you could pick any spot to live and enjoy), without taking her family's livelihood into account.

Still, you have to think that more construction in an area = more construction companies there. The volume of business cannot be a predictor of demand for service. But if you're looking for the next area to be overrun with development, that's the west side of the Lake.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Cooperwx, how do you picture Union county and Lake Norman in 15 years? Do you think the roads and sewage along with all the congression will make theses areas a terrible place to live. I know there is alot of talk about the infra stucture so I had to ask. Also my husband does air conditioning and heating so I don't think there is a great problem with work in any of these areas, maybe just a different pay scale? If anyone has insight on that I would love to hear about it.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM

620 posts, read 1,337,796 times
I don't think they will become terrible places to live. Maybe to a native NCer, but not if your from somewhere else. It all depends on your perspective of what is nice and what isn't.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Living in NJ, it has its good and bad. I am fortunate enough to have bought in an area that allows homes to be built on 1.5 acrea lots. There are even towns were they only allow 15 acrea lots now!!! I feel this keeps the value up for our town. Are there any areas among the Charlotte, Lake Norman or Winston-Salem that put that type of control on the builders. I hope there is someone.

Unread 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM

620 posts, read 1,337,796 times
There are towns/counties around Charlotte that do that. Lincoln County I know for a fact, Union might do that and maybe parts of Cabarrus but I am not 100% positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina