Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyorgan View Post
Old thread but thought I'd give this a try. Moved to NC in the past year from a misfortunate state that fortunately did not require a vehicle safety and emissions inspection. I drive a 13 year old Jeep that I should not put over a grand in to for a CAT converter to meet emissions standards-- but sadly this seems to be my lot. I have read about a waiver that can be granted if over 200 bucks of repairs are put in to a car to meet emissions standards and 2 independent inspections are obtained. Can anyone speak to this or does anyone have kind words of wisdom for me?
I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone else could answer this question for me... Couldn't you just drive to a shop in a county that doesn't require the emissions inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone else could answer this question for me... Couldn't you just drive to a shop in a county that doesn't require the emissions inspection?
Your vehicle is inspected in accordance to the county it is registered, not where you have it inspected.
Additionally, any emissions components on the vehicle as new must be on, and in working order, no matter if you reside in an emissions county or not.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
It's "inspected" by a computer through the OBD-II port on the vehicle. When the inspection begins the computer calls the main DMV computers and sees what is required of that particular vehicle. Each and every vehicle is individually identified by the computers so there are no mistakes.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's "inspected" by a computer through the OBD-II port on the vehicle. When the inspection begins the computer calls the main DMV computers and sees what is required of that particular vehicle. Each and every vehicle is individually identified by the computers so there are no mistakes.
Scary.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyorgan View Post
Old thread but thought I'd give this a try. Moved to NC in the past year from a misfortunate state that fortunately did not require a vehicle safety and emissions inspection. I drive a 13 year old Jeep that I should not put over a grand in to for a CAT converter to meet emissions standards-- but sadly this seems to be my lot. I have read about a waiver that can be granted if over 200 bucks of repairs are put in to a car to meet emissions standards and 2 independent inspections are obtained. Can anyone speak to this or does anyone have kind words of wisdom for me?
I just had to do this, so I thought I'd offer my experience. My check engine light has been on since February. I was told it was either O2 sensors or CAT. I spent a few months putting aside money to try to fix it since my registration expired in July. These are the steps I took:

1. Went for first inspection and failed. (You must have car inspected before paying for any repairs. You must also pass safety inspection.)
2. Had O2 sensors replaced. This did not fix the problem. (The minimum dollar amount for the waiver is $200. I spent just over $300.)
3. Went for second inspection and failed again.
4. Took both failed reports and mechanic invoice to DMV office on 8446 North Tryon Street. They issue waivers Mon - Friday, 8:00am - 11:30am. (I was surprised that this is the only office that issues waivers.)

I just got my waiver this morning. I have to take it with me to a third inspection and it will allow me to pass. Then I can register my car as usual.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdahl View Post
I just got my waiver this morning. I have to take it with me to a third inspection and it will allow me to pass. Then I can register my car as usual.
The big difference between his and yours is, his lacks the proper emissions equipment, yours is malfunctioning. Your car passed the visual inspection, his won't.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 23,565 times
I have a OBD2 car that a turbo has been added to it. Because of that, the fuel management had to be adjusted to run efficiently. Because of that the computer had to be switched to an older computer (obd II's will not allow fuel injection maps to be modified). Long story short, in a few short months it will be inspection time... What can I do as I know the obd II reader will no longer function?

Anything?

Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,309 times
Have a question regarding headlights...

I'm thinking of going with a quad HID projector retrofit (haven't ordered the parts yet, wanted to check here first), which would mean I'd have 4 lights running at the same time on "low beam" as well as the ability to turn on the fog lights. The HIDs will be properly aimed and adjusted. So technically this would be 6 lights on at the same time when I have it set to "low beam." Is this illegal and is it checked for on the NC inspection?

I found this. Technically one set of lights could be headlamps while the other set are "spot lamps" and the fog lights are "auxiliary driving lamps." Thoughts?

§ 20-130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.
(a) Spot Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.
(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20-131, subsection (c).

Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times
I have a 1994 honda accord, could I get my windows tinted darker than 35%?

Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zane_hunt View Post
I have a 1994 honda accord, could I get my windows tinted darker than 35%?
nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina