Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating to North Carolina area, concerned about waiting too long to move resulting in pricing myself out, outlook of North Carolina real estate markets

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,646,719 times

Advertisements

Very well said, Weis! I couldn't agree more! On the flip side, there are people who are all too willing to make or try to make the decision for someone else.

Regards,

Cassie

[quote=Weis02;84283]Originally Posted by Cassie
"I do think a life-changing move is one that people should go into with their eyes wide open, rather than thinking that the same problems they deal with elsewhere don't exist here and that NC will be a cure-all for their ills."
Quote:

See Cassie that appears to be a problem, many people are unfortunately going in with their eyes closed...(or only half often, they say oh I didn't expect this, I didn't know that, now we can't know everything because there are too many things to come up, but a lot of the things I have seen people surprised about, should come as no surprise if you go in with your eyes open.

(I have seen a lot of resells come up for sale that are only a yr or 2 old, now why would someone want to move in such a short time? That troubles me sometimes-even some posters note if I only would have researched more-this too is going to effect the NC real estate market)

Some people fail to realize when they leave somewhere with problems, they take them with them...

I have seen posts here where people have stated they don't have the time to research this or that or the patience to search schools etc, you have to find the time and patience and you must go to an area, go to the schools and see for yourself.

Everyone's opinion and comfort level is so varied, even here I have seen one person say something great about one area and another person has the exact opposite opinion.

Maybe some people should try using toothpicks to keep their eyes open, do the research, take the time instead of looking for someone else to make the decision for them

Last edited by Cassie; 09-08-2006 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 PM

741 posts, read 3,502,371 times
Default The houses are disappearing

I use realtor.com to check houses. I saved about 9 really nice looking houses in their save feature and all but 1 house remains. It's crazy, Most of NJ is in a "dead" zone as far as selling houses. We're all dropping prices and at the same time NC prices are rising fast. How's the winter months? Do people actively try to buy, sell in the winter? Or does everyone kinda hibernate till Spring? Here they're saying its a 9 month to 1 year supply of houses.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:34 PM

463 posts, read 1,646,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
I use realtor.com to check houses. I saved about 9 really nice looking houses in their save feature and all but 1 house remains. It's crazy, Most of NJ is in a "dead" zone as far as selling houses. We're all dropping prices and at the same time NC prices are rising fast. How's the winter months? Do people actively try to buy, sell in the winter? Or does everyone kinda hibernate till Spring? Here they're saying its a 9 month to 1 year supply of houses.
Hi Patty!

Realtor. com can take a long time to update and doesn't show if a home has a sale pending. That being said, my previous county in northern VA is projected to take 15 months to clear the current inventory that's on the market.

We put our house on the market last January. Everyone said we were nuts, that it would never sell in the winter. Got a full price offer in 6 days. I believe a lot more in Divine intervention than I do in anything else.

We did price it realistically to sell, though. We didn't try to hold out for the previous year's prices or bidding wars that were routine in the year prior.

The buyer got a great home that he was thrilled with. We were happy with what we got for the sale.

All it takes is one buyer. Keep your chin up and best wishes to you. N.C. isn't going anywhere. Prices are only rising fast in areas where people are willing to pay overinflated prices for homes. Even there, there are some great resale values at hand. I don't mean old fixer uppers either. I mean people who have great homes that are only a couple years older than the new ones. It's still a buyers market here.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-08-2006 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,005,722 times
Being a bookworm as a kid probably lead to being an inveterate websurfer once the internet came along. I'm a bit boggled at people asking to be spoonfed info when it is very easy to find on the internet. Just one leetle word on any of the major search engines .... And, honestly, while the opinions and impressions of posters here are interesting, and posters are doing their best to help out, if I were looking into the area, I'd use this board as a support function, but would be doing my own search for hard facts. If you make a move based on what you read here, and the information that people give, when you could be looking for it yourself, you might end up getting a hill of a surprise at what you actually see once you come down here

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-08-2006 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: removed reference to prior bickering that was deleted

Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,843,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
People need to settle down. I can almost hear ***'s heavy tread

Being a bookworm as a kid probably lead to being an inveterate websurfer once the internet came along. I'm a bit boggled at people asking to be spoonfed info when it is very easy to find on the internet. Just one leetle word on any of the major search engines .... And, honestly, while the opinions and impressions of posters here are interesting, and posters are doing their best to help out, if I were looking into the area, I'd use this board as a support function, but would be doing my own search for hard facts. If you make a move based on what you read here, and the information that people give, when you could be looking for it yourself, you might end up getting a hill of a surprise at what you actually see once you come down here
While I some what agree. If people come here for information and others are willing to help (no money received) why not get ALL you can rather than go else where (google) to look when again it is here or someone is willing to help?

I also agree and have said many times (check other threads) this forum is ONLY a tool to help you. It did help us narrow down a lot. We went out there and had found we were right with our internet findings. The trip confirmed it. In the end, this is why there are many places to live. One place isn't for everyone. Not to say its a bad place, just not the place "you" call home.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
I still dont think house prices will explode in Texas or NC. Its not as desirable as Cali and Florida for example and if prices there get too close, no one will buy. Even north Florida can be half the price of south Florida!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:00 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,005,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
If people come here for information and others are willing to help (no money received) why not get ALL you can rather than go else where (google) to look when again it is here or someone is willing to help?
Well, that's pretty darned lazy. Not to mention having no sense of curiosity about where a path might lead? *shrug* Sorry, that's how I see it. Or ... ok, I'll be charitable and estimate that it may be a lack of confidence that people are looking in the right spot. Or being taught in an education system where kids now count calculators as standard school supplies. [That infuriates me. Aren't young people taught to figure out things for themselves anymore? ]

I have a suspicion that many of the more prolific posters here are readers (probably older, too) and like to share what they find. It's a fun hobby and, no, they don't expect to be paid. There's a reward in the lightbulb moment "wow, I didn't know that!", or the tangent that searching for an answer to someone's question can lead one to a wholly undiscovered area. Doesn't mean that those people want to be depended upon, or taken for granted to supply info that you could find if you spent five minutes on Google or Yahoo.

Admittedly, it's also a dangerous crutch for the Knowledgables to prop people up by saying "I know the answer to that! Here's what you need to do ..." My own bit of buttinskiness is say that one should read what people like to show off that they know, or find, but also get off your own lazy brains and do the research. You may discover a totally different path or find an answer that tells you what you are thinking of doing is maybe not such a good idea after all.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:00 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,068,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I still dont think house prices will explode in Texas or NC. Its not as desirable as Cali and Florida for example and if prices there get too close, no one will buy. Even north Florida can be half the price of south Florida!
I disagree. You shouldve seen the prices for homes and land here 10 - 15 years ago. That was a deal. And the prices 5 years ago were a deal compared to today and even then they were expensive. Land is very desirable here, have you ever been to Lake Norman. A piece of land on the lake here is priceless now.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,451,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I disagree. You shouldve seen the prices for homes and land here 10 - 15 years ago. That was a deal. And the prices 5 years ago were a deal compared to today and even then they were expensive. Land is very desirable here, have you ever been to Lake Norman. A piece of land on the lake here is priceless now.

Agree NC is very desirable, it's a beautiful area especially Lake Norman and it will certainly appreciate the word is out already.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post

Thanks for the correction! Waterfront even more expensive. Just out of curiousity, how much exactly is a lot by the lake? for a lot+house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina