Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating to North Carolina area, concerned about waiting too long to move resulting in pricing myself out, outlook of North Carolina real estate markets

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

117 posts, read 416,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
When visiting the Charlotte area, I asked several natives about their feelings toward the newcomers and no one expressed any ill will -- not even slightly. I think that in general, if you're kind and respectful toward people, they will extend those same courtesies to you.

Everyone we encountered was pleasant, to the point of many peole offering to chauffeur us around, families gave us their phone numbers and asked us to call once we settled in, everyone we encountered invited us to their church and many people made recommendations about communities we might want to live in.

When I was active duty, I got assigned to Keesler in Biloxi, MS. This was close to 10 years ago (where does the time go?) and my new husband and I were afraid of leaving the north for the deep south. Actually, we were terrified (and our parents and grandparents fed our fears) and pretty convinced that someone would burn a cross on our lawn ... ignorant, but this was our true fear.

Imagine my surprise when we were received warmly by the community, even natives. Now granted this is an area accustomed to outsiders and what they bring to the economy but still, the woman who eventually become my son's godmother is Miss born and raised.

My husband and I were quite young at the time, had never been so far away from home and we were homesick ... big time. My son's godmother received us warmly, had us over for the holidays and when my son was born, she burst into the delivery room and when the doctor insisted only family could be present she looked at him indignantly and said, "Well of course I'm family, can't you see I'm this child's mother???" He looked from her to me, taking in her blue eyes and blond hair and I suspect, digesting her Miss twang too. But what could he do? I wanted her there.

Eveyrone burst into laughter when my son came out crying and she cried, "I had no idea my first grandchild would be black!"

I always wondered if perhaps, because of history, the folks we encountered felt they had something to prove ... you know, that things had changed. It was fine by me. We were on the receiving end of such love and kindness, when we needed it most. For the first time, I knew what it meant to be linked to a community ... something I have only experienced in the south. I am hopeful that we'll encounter the same in NC.

SL

I think the ill will is more towards the yankees that come and try to alter their state in one way or another. The people that are always in a hurry and are pushy and rude. I think if you are moving there and just want to blend in and enjoy their culture and way of life you should be fine. Isn't that why we are all moving there for a slower pace of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Okay okay, I am basically a native (moved here when I was 4), and people seem surprised when they meet me that they have finally met someone "from here". I will say this, about resentment, um, the ONLY time I get irritated is when I hear people who are not from here complaining about it here. Generally, I hear people complaining that "it is so slow here, service is slow, people are slow at doing things for me, etc". Yes, the pace is slower here, but it is what it is!

Honestly, that is the only time that I get irritated. I keep thinking, you are the one who moved here, right? Anyhow, other than that, we are used to people moving here in droves!

Just my thoughts...............

Leigh

Old 09-05-2006, 11:31 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed4nc View Post
I think the ill will is more towards the yankees that come and try to alter their state in one way or another. The people that are always in a hurry and are pushy and rude. I think if you are moving there and just want to blend in and enjoy their culture and way of life you should be fine. Isn't that why we are all moving there for a slower pace of life?
I think what I am reading on these boards, the want list from the Yanks (as a midwesterner I exlude myself from Yanks lol) is:

I want the same salary, and to be able to buy 3x the house I currently have (for a lower price than my current house of course) and of course pay 15% of the current property taxes. I want all the amenities of a city of 4-9M million people, but I don't want any traffic. I want a slower pace of life as long as its not right in front of my car or in front of me in the grocery line. I want every store I had in New England and if not, I demand it be here within 12 months of my moving - preferably within 2 miles of where I live... but I love the wide open spaces of NC. So all my favorite stores right next to me, but I don't want a concrete jungle - got that?? How do you people live without Trader Joe's or a sushi bar every few blocks? The schools must be great, there must be no re-assignment of my child at least (he/she doesn't deserve the stress after moving cross country), and I want low low taxes to pay for the best schools. Did I mention I deserve a 3500 sq foot home? And that home must be in an area with no crime - ok I can tolerate petty robbery once a year, and I want low low taxes even though I require a high police force to keep away all crime. And everyone must be friendly to me! Even though all my neighbors will probably be people who lived within 500 miles of my old home state. Hopefully in time we can persuade the Soxs or Yanks to relocate to North Carolina and then the world will be perfect for my situation.

Ok now if all that can happen I will agree with Money magazine that NC is a decent place to live... but nowhere as cool as Long Island which is perfect except for property taxes and high housing costs

Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 AM

180 posts, read 733,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
I think what I am reading on these boards, the want list from the Yanks (as a midwesterner I exlude myself from Yanks lol) is:

I want the same salary, and to be able to buy 3x the house I currently have (for a lower price than my current house of course) and of course pay 15% of the current property taxes. I want all the amenities of a city of 4-9M million people, but I don't want any traffic. I want a slower pace of life as long as its not right in front of my car or in front of me in the grocery line. I want every store I had in New England and if not, I demand it be here within 12 months of my moving - preferably within 2 miles of where I live... but I love the wide open spaces of NC. So all my favorite stores right next to me, but I don't want a concrete jungle - got that?? How do you people live without Trader Joe's or a sushi bar every few blocks? The schools must be great, there must be no re-assignment of my child at least (he/she doesn't deserve the stress after moving cross country), and I want low low taxes to pay for the best schools. Did I mention I deserve a 3500 sq foot home? And that home must be in an area with no crime - ok I can tolerate petty robbery once a year, and I want low low taxes even though I require a high police force to keep away all crime. And everyone must be friendly to me! Even though all my neighbors will probably be people who lived within 500 miles of my old home state. Hopefully in time we can persuade the Soxs or Yanks to relocate to North Carolina and then the world will be perfect for my situation.

Ok now if all that can happen I will agree with Money magazine that NC is a decent place to live... but nowhere as cool as Long Island which is perfect except for property taxes and high housing costs
Hey! I resemble that!

And You missed Dunkin' Donuts, gotta have My Iced Mocha Swirl - Dunkin' Donuts real espresso, mocha syrup and milk, topped with whipped cream and mocha drizzle!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/scottinmass/banner_indulgenticedlatte.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scottinmass; 09-05-2006 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-05-2006, 11:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Hey! I resemble that!
Scot, we southern women love a man with a sense of humor!!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And I love you too!

Oh, Wait please send me picture first.....

Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
And I love you too!

Oh, Wait please send me picture first.....

HA!!! You crack me up -

Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Well.................?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM

117 posts, read 416,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Northern women like that too!

Old 09-05-2006, 03:25 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,136 times
Quote:
Hey! I resemble that!

And You missed Dunkin' Donuts, gotta have My Iced Mocha Swirl - Dunkin' Donuts real espresso, mocha syrup and milk, topped with whipped cream and mocha drizzle!

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/scottinmass/banner_indulgenticedlatte.jpg (broken link)
We've got a dunkies right down the street, it was a requirement of moving here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina