Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating to North Carolina area, concerned about waiting too long to move resulting in pricing myself out, outlook of North Carolina real estate markets

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM

124 posts, read 519,882 times

Advertisements

Not being out there first hand I can't watch the development of each of those communities in Southern Charlotte area. I only have construction numbers to go on and how far built out they. Couple that with there quick move-in home inventory and you kind get a feel for if they have homes just sitting there waiting for buyers or they are pretty much keeping pace with demand. I do think it is a case where people are paying a premium to be in a certain community and these communities do seem to be keeping pace with demand hence the price run up. I hope you are right and things taper off and slow down a little. I still tend to think NC is a good area and real estate will hold its value there. It will be interesting to see how the growth is handled in the upcoming years to see if the cities thrive or scrape by. Ohhh if only there were a crystal ball. In any event I hope to make it there sometime to be a part of whatever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM

889 posts, read 3,107,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you ever been to CA? Do you think that Mexicans in CA only pick fruit?

Obviously you have either never been to CA or you have never been by a construction site. In CA you can’t work in construction unless you are Mexican or a bi-lingual other than Mexican. Also 99% of factory workers, landscapers, cooks, busboys, maintenance workers, or cleaning crews in CA are Mexican.
Yeah, i think ive been. Just read my posts. Born and raised and just moved away. I probably did not explain myself properly.In the area i came from, alot of them are friut pickers, etc. its what brought them there to that paticular area to begin with. They eventually work there way out of the fields into other trades.Yes, they are cooks, housekeepers etc.
Yes, i have been on a construction site and my husband is in the trades. Was in the Union there.Most construction workers (again i say in the area i was from )are labors learning the skills to be a journeyman carpenter etc.They are paid at least $12.00 an hour to work. This is fact.
Not true, "you have to be Mexican" or Bi-lingual to work in construction.
A little stretch of the truth to say 99% are Lanscapers, cooks,busboys and so on.
it may end up that way in the future but for now, no, not that percentage.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,728,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Yeah, i think ive been. Just read my posts. Born and raised and just moved away. I probably did not explain myself properly.In the area i came from, alot of them are friut pickers, etc. its what brought them there to that paticular area to begin with. They eventually work there way out of the fields into other trades.Yes, they are cooks, housekeepers etc.
Yes, i have been on a construction site and my husband is in the trades. Was in the Union there.Most construction workers (again i say in the area i was from )are labors learning the skills to be a journeyman carpenter etc.They are paid at least $12.00 an hour to work. This is fact.
Not true, "you have to be Mexican" or Bi-lingual to work in construction.
A little stretch of the truth to say 99% are Lanscapers, cooks,busboys and so on.
it may end up that way in the future but for now, no, not that percentage.
Come on out to the job site on the hill above my house and see if you find anyone other than Mexican building the houses. And these houses start at $1 million, at least one is $997k the rest are well above that. During the May marches the job site was vacant, no one working.

Not many union shops left. Most of the union labor has been replaced with non skilled Mexican’s. Sad but true. The worst part is that these homes built by unskilled labor aren’t any cheaper. The only one benefiting are the investors and real estate developers.

I don’t know where you lived, but the 99% is no stretch in Orange County, CA.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 AM

463 posts, read 1,646,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
" At least we are bringing in our own money, job skills etc .instead of looking to the state for handouts. try dealing with that
We do deal with it. So happy to know that you can help pay for illegal immigrants here. N.C. is # 7 in the nation in illegal immigration. Kind of suprising considering that it is not a border state.

You can also help pick up the tab for Medicaid since we're the last state left in the nation where the counties are required to pay for the cost of a significant portion of that. They do that by raising property taxes.

Glad to know you're up for the increasing expenses.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 AM

889 posts, read 3,107,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
We do deal with it. So happy to know that you can help pay for illegal immigrants here. N.C. is # 7 in the nation in illegal immigration. Kind of suprising considering that it is not a border state.

You can also help pick up the tab for Medicaid since we're the last state left in the nation where the counties are required to pay for the cost of a significant portion of that. They do that by raising property taxes.

Regards,

Cassie
Cassie- it is happening everywhere, it is unfortunatly inevitable.
My point was, what would you rather have, people that come to this state not looking for a handout but can support themselves or be subjected to a state where i lived( Calif.) and I was becomming the minority?
Calif. is a border state and currently has a Latino population of around 38%.The projections are to be at 50% in the next 10 years.Thats a bit much and only going to get worse.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 AM

117 posts, read 415,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post

Regards,

Cassie

Why did you pick NC to move back to?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:31 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,308,994 times
I hope to move my family to NC early next year. Can you be sure there are at least 2 super-WalMarts, 7 Starbucks and massive public transportation systems in place by the time we get there?

Seriously though, we love the idea of NC but are a little put off by the huge influx of people and rising prices...seems like a lot of the charm and small-townishness is being sold off and strip-malled over.

My question is-- does the growth problem seem as acute in the Western part of your state? We were hoping for soemthing around Asheville...Boone to the north, Brevard or Cullowhee to the south. Are these areas as affected by growth as the Charlotte/Raleigh areas?

(Incidentally we would be coming from Oklahoma so we aren't Yankees trying to transplant a different way of life onto NC...) We actually WANT a slower pace and pretty surroundings. Will all that be gone or priced out by the time we can move (assuming I can get a job)?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,728,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I hope to move my family to NC early next year. Can you be sure there are at least 2 super-WalMarts, 7 Starbucks and massive public transportation systems in place by the time we get there?

Seriously though, we love the idea of NC but are a little put off by the huge influx of people and rising prices...seems like a lot of the charm and small-townishness is being sold off and strip-malled over.

My question is-- does the growth problem seem as acute in the Western part of your state? We were hoping for soemthing around Asheville...Boone to the north, Brevard or Cullowhee to the south. Are these areas as affected by growth as the Charlotte/Raleigh areas?

(Incidentally we would be coming from Oklahoma so we aren't Yankees trying to transplant a different way of life onto NC...) We actually WANT a slower pace and pretty surroundings. Will all that be gone or priced out by the time we can move (assuming I can get a job)?
Slower than Oklahoma? Isn't the next thing death?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:50 AM

117 posts, read 415,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

It's my understanding that if you are not from the South you are still a Yankee.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:15 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,308,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Slower than Oklahoma? Isn't the next thing death?
HAHA! Oh god, you are so right! But, what I mean is, my wife and I have both lived in large cities and in the North. I was born in Texas but was raised in St. Paul, Minnesota and lived in Chicago for quite a long time. Oklahoma is slow in some ways, but OKC and Tulsa are crime-infested in a bad way. Plus, there's NO SCENERY here. And little culture. The thing that is appealing about wesern NC to us is the hills and mountains, the proximity to the Atlantic coast, the culture of music and craft fairs, etc.

I hope I'm not considered a Yankee. We have thought of looking to move to parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Vermont and Maine, but the draw to NC is that it is more Southern, yet still has winters (at least in the West) and it is closer to Oklahoma than New England should we need to come back to visit family, etc. I get the feeling we'd feel more "at home" in NC.

I gotta ask again-- is the bulk of the growth/influx of people more in the Raleigh/Durham/ Charlotte areas or is the Asheville area and surrounding counties also getting hit the same way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina