U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM

62 posts, read 121,251 times

Advertisements

Geographically speaking, would you consider it to be in the Northeastern Sector or the Southeastern Sector of the east coast?

Noaa climatically and geographically has it as the ''southeast". For the unaware, Noaa is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the top weather administration in the country where all major climate/weather alerts come from.

As you can see, virginia southward to florida is considered southeast (as it is by most places/people). And even though it doesn't show it on this particular map, noaa considers Maryland up to NY as the mid atlantic (which makes up 1 part of the Northeast along with New England).

referenced here:

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

I only ask this though because its seeming more common for people to call North Carolina the northeast, i however do not see it at all, geographically or heritage wise. I personally agree with the map above except i think TN should be in the southeast aswell.

Please no flame wars, i'm sure there are North Carolinians proud of their southern heritage, i'm just speaking GEOGRAPHICALLY, and not heritage wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM

870 posts, read 1,967,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBadBrah View Post
Geographically speaking, would you consider it to be in the Northeastern Sector or the Southeastern Sector of the east coast?

I only ask this though because its seeming more common for people to call North Carolina the northeast, i however do not see it at all, geographically or heritage wise.
I have NEVER heard anyone in anyway refer to NC as being in the northeast... esp. not geographically! Even reading on these forms I have never seen it mentioned that way.

BTW I have traveled this country extensively and everyone I know refers to NC being in "the south"

Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I have NEVER heard anyone in anyway refer to NC as being in the northeast... esp. not geographically! Even reading on these forms I have never seen it mentioned that way.

Things like the washington post and the weather channel are grouping it in with the mid atlantic (which is 1 part of the northeast along with new england)

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM

870 posts, read 1,967,551 times
Quote:
Things like the washington post and the weather channel are grouping it in with the mid atlantic (which is 1 part of the northeast along with new england)
ok but mid-Atlantic =/= northeast... Do you want to know if people consider NC part of the mid-Atlantic or the NE?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
ok but mid-Atlantic =/= northeast... Do you want to know if people consider NC part of the mid-Atlantic or the NE?

The northeast is made up of two different places, The mid-atlantic and New england combine to make the Northeast, as referenced by NOAA in my original post.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,146,849 times
Quote:
The northeast is made up of two different places, The mid-atlantic and New england combine to make the Northeast, as referenced by NOAA in my original post.
If anything they got "central" completely wrong.

And as refrenced by a show on the history chanel the other night..."Florida is not a southern state....it's a state in the South".

Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

91 posts, read 176,411 times
Anything south of NJ turnpike exit 9 is south. Lol. No seriously, NC is south. As is Virginia and Maryland.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,145,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
If anything they got "central" completely wrong.

And as refrenced by a show on the history chanel the other night..."Florida is not a southern state....it's a state in the South".
From what I've heard they say North Florida is still Southern and South Florida is not because of the culture diversity Miami has influenced. But I haven't been to Florida since I was 5 so I wouldn't know.

Geographically, I see Virginia as a NE state. NC is hard to distinguish since it's right in the middle. Heritage wise, NC is still southern. Especially rural NC.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
I only ask this though because its seeming more common for people to call North Carolina the northeast,
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

NC is geographically the Southeast. That is not in dispute. Culturally, it has influences from other regions, but how could anyone claim that NC is the Northeast geographically...??? I believe someone has been pulling your leg.

Quote:

Mid-Atlantic is MID, not "North". And if you divide the US, even your map above, into "north" and "south" halves, NC is clearly in the Southern half. Below the Mason-Dixon line.

I would not say that "Mid-Atlantic" (which does not include NC anyway, certainly not geographically) means "Northeast". As your own map shows, what is typically called "Mid-Atlantic" (NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA) are split into "Northeast" and "Southeast" so Mid-Atl is a combo of both. I've never heard anywhere south of New Jersey called "The Northeast".

I'd love a link to a reference that claims NC is the "northeast". But it is not.

BTW, why do you ask?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
?????????????????????????????????????????????????

NC is geographically the Southeast. That is not in dispute. Culturally, it has influences from other regions, but how could anyone claim that NC is the Northeast geographically...??? I believe someone has been pulling your leg.

Mid-Atlantic is MID, not "North". And if you divide the US, even your map above, into "north" and "south" halves, NC is clearly in the Southern half. Below the Mason-Dixon line.

I would not say that "Mid-Atlantic" (which does not include NC anyway, certainly not geographically) means "Northeast". As your own map shows, what is typically called "Mid-Atlantic" (NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA) are split into "Northeast" and "Southeast" so Mid-Atl is a combo of both. I've never heard anywhere south of New Jersey called "The Northeast".

I'd love a link to a reference that claims NC is the "northeast". But it is not.

BTW, why do you ask?
The northeast is comprised of the mid atlantic AND new england. If you read my original post i link a reference to noaa's actual site showing that the northeast is comprised of the two (mid atlantic and new england). The map also doesn't show VA in the mid atlantic, noaa says the mid atlantic is from MD through NY.

"i've never heard of anywhere south of new jersey called the northeast''. Well now you have buddy, from NOAA themselves. And if you watch the weather channel you'll notice that they refer to NC a lot as being in the mid atlantic, and as proven earlier, the mid atlantic is part of the northeast along with new england. I personally, disagree with it, and think its geographically southeast too (i think the mid atlantic is from md-ny). With virginia southward being part of the southeast.

And the reason i ask is because things like the washington post and the weather channel referring to it as mid atlantic.

heres the link again showing you that the mid-atlantic is part of the north east.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

As you can see, they have it listed as the atlantic south, atlantic north, and atlantic central. The central atlantic according to NOAA is from MD through NY. And according to the map i linked in the OP, all of those states are apart of the northeast. Therefore the mid atlantic, according to NOAA, the most pristine weather administration in the country, is apart of the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina