Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM

31 posts, read 116,588 times

Advertisements

We have a 7 year old daughter that is deaf. We are wanting to move to an area that has more deaf children than where we are at. Can anyone recommend an area that has a deaf children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccarson4 View Post
We have a 7 year old daughter that is deaf. We are wanting to move to an area that has more deaf children than where we are at. Can anyone recommend an area that has a deaf children?
Are you at all interested in sending her to the NC School for the Deaf? They have a residental and day program I think. They are located in Morganton, about 45 minutes east of Asheville.

North Carolina School for the Deaf

Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 PM

We have thought about that. But I am a school teacher and at this time they have no openings in elementary school.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
We have thought about that. But I am a school teacher and at this time they have no openings in elementary school.
No openings in elementary schools anywhere in Burke county?? Wow.

Or do you mean you only want to teach where your child goes to school, and the deaf school doesn't have any openings?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM

No openings in elementary schools at this time. I will teach in just about any school in the county. I wish one would come open. There are several jobs for the high school and the middle school. Just no regular ed jobs in elementary school.

Where do you live?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
No openings in elementary schools at this time. I will teach in just about any school in the county. I wish one would come open. There are several jobs for the high school and the middle school. Just no regular ed jobs in elementary school.

Where do you live?
I'm in Charlotte but pass thru Morganton frequently - it's a nice little place
What about teaching in a neighboring county, or would that just be too far? I was thinking of Catawba.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
I think there is also a school for the deaf in Wilson... at least there used to be. You may want to check that area as well. Wilson is more on the eastern side of the state... may be more prospects for you as well.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:28 PM
ASL

1 posts, read 2,856 times
The schools for the Deaf are in Wilson and Morganton, about 1 hour from Asheville. However, Raleigh has a high percentage of deaf population and they even have social events for the older deaf to join. I myself am studing sign language and want to be a teacher's assistant in a deaf/HH classroom. There are only 3 schools in NC that have the interpreters program -- Wilson, Charlotte, and Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina