U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 19,916 times

Advertisements

As I Stated In My Last Question, I Am Thinking Of Moving To Nc. I Am A Lab Tech And Wanted To Know How The Hopitals And Clinics Are As Far As Salary Is Concerned. I Wanted To Know If I Could Make A Decent Living In Nc Or Should I Look At Other Areas. I Am African American, And A Northerner, I Was Just Curious To How "friendly" People Are In Nc. I Have Had To Deal With Prejudice All Of My Life Being A Northerner And Did Not Want To Move To Another State Not Knowing What I Am In Store For. I Also Have A Teenager, Which This Will Be A New Experience For As Well. Please Do Not Take This To Be Mean, I Am A Very Friendly Person, It Is Just That When You Deal With A Sensitive Subject Like This One, It Is Easy For People To Mistake Your Words. Help!!!!

Sincerely,
Confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,430,570 times
People in NC are friendly. There are a million threads debating the race issue, which frankly is no different here than anywhere else, despite the south's image as a hotbed for racism, which is not true.

There are plenty of work for lab techs. Maybe someone here can give you a better idea of the dollar amount.

Welcome--

Old 08-15-2007, 09:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,352,119 times
Quote:
I Am African American, And A Northerner, I Was Just Curious To How "friendly" People Are In Nc
Confused, I happen to live in a mixed race neighborhood. Very well kept...all the people in here are nice. None of us seem to care what the color of your skin is...or where you are from as long as you are friendly.

Two of my neighbors happen to be white, one happens to be black...one happens to own a motorcycle...one set are college kids renting the house from their parents while attending UNC-W. The noisiest...the danged motorcycle,

It's only sensitive if you make it sensitive. I tried to make sure that whatever prejudice *I* had toward blacks did not bleed over to my daughter. And I know I have some...I'm 53...but then I'm far more prejudice toward white trash. I had one of THOSE neighbors in my last house.

My daughter is far more tolerant than I am...even of the white trash.

Please try not to let your own feelings color those of your child.

And welcome to NC.

As far as salary in the hospitals/clinics...not sure but I have an idea where to find that info if you PM me. Liz

Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times
I think you might like Greeensboro it has a large mix population and strong pride in the African American history

You can find monuments, historical markers, and large cultural center in the downtown area.

Far as work greensboro has decent hospitals and if you cannot find work there there is always Winston Salem only 15 minutes away and same for High Point.

It a very accepting laid back city.

Far as pay cut so is the cost of living. You will get more home for your $$ than probably your current location and less taxes.

check this site out for local wage information
Moderator cut: link removed

here a photo of the Woolworth building being converted to a museum

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,385,558 times
You'll probably get a lower cost of living in the Greensboro/Winston Salem area. They have some good hospitals in both cities. You really shouldn't have any racial problems here. It's a great place and people get along well as long as you don't make it an issue. Welcome!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,122,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latwalk View Post
As I Stated In My Last Question, I Am Thinking Of Moving To Nc. I Am A Lab Tech And Wanted To Know How The Hopitals And Clinics Are As Far As Salary Is Concerned. I Wanted To Know If I Could Make A Decent Living In Nc Or Should I Look At Other Areas. I Am African American, And A Northerner, I Was Just Curious To How "friendly" People Are In Nc. I Have Had To Deal With Prejudice All Of My Life Being A Northerner And Did Not Want To Move To Another State Not Knowing What I Am In Store For. I Also Have A Teenager, Which This Will Be A New Experience For As Well. Please Do Not Take This To Be Mean, I Am A Very Friendly Person, It Is Just That When You Deal With A Sensitive Subject Like This One, It Is Easy For People To Mistake Your Words. Help!!!!

Sincerely,
Confused
Frankly, unless you're purple and come from Mars - then we'd be curious... or you put an unpainted truck tire in your yard - we could care less! As you well know, lab techs are in as high demand as are nurses - we're gettin' old and aging out of the workforce!!! If you've got ASCP certification you shouldn't have any trouble in most of the areas' hospitals and large clinics. Also, with a Master's, you could teach in a community college! Look here: NC.GOV - Home Check us out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina