Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 40,797 times

Advertisements

I think arbyunc you are correct. Better to let this die and move on. It seems no one could get over my opinion of Asheville or understand my comment about Boone.

I also though zip-disks opinion was responsive and did try to address the Boone question.

I think I'll stick to information that I can glean from more objective sources as the emotional responses here are of little or no value. No one here seems to understand the need to ask a non-leading question.

If I ask a simple question like what are land prices like in the region, it will be ridiculed because it doesn't specify size, location or reference a comparison to South Carolina or what my price range is so it is impossible to provide an answer.

For example I can tell you where I live is a party town with a large Catholic population and an emphasis on tourism. Most people are unfriendly unless they know you and can be insulting in their casual conversations with strangers. I can also tell you that if you settle-in and get to know people you'll find them quite pleasant. Generally the cost of living here is higher than most of the lower 48. The road system is fairly good and the traffic congestion is typical for a large urban/suburban area. The public transportation is excellent. Access to culture and entertainment, dining are plentiful. Schools are generally good but do vary by district. There are adequate medical facilities. Most outdoor activities center around water. Indoor activity is generally unlimited. Of course this is just my opinion of the area others might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5290 View Post
I think arbyunc you are correct. Better to let this die and move on. It seems no one could get over my opinion of Asheville or understand my comment about Boone.

I also though zip-disks opinion was responsive and did try to address the Boone question.

I think I'll stick to information that I can glean from more objective sources as the emotional responses here are of little or no value. No one here seems to understand the need to ask a non-leading question.

If I ask a simple question like what are land prices like in the region, it will be ridiculed because it doesn't specify size, location or reference a comparison to South Carolina or what my price range is so it is impossible to provide an answer.

For example I can tell you where I live is a party town with a large Catholic population and an emphasis on tourism. Most people are unfriendly unless they know you and can be insulting in their casual conversations with strangers. I can also tell you that if you settle-in and get to know people you'll find them quite pleasant. Generally the cost of living here is higher than most of the lower 48. The road system is fairly good and the traffic congestion is typical for a large urban/suburban area. The public transportation is excellent. Access to culture and entertainment, dining are plentiful. Schools are generally good but do vary by district. There are adequate medical facilities. Most outdoor activities center around water. Indoor activity is generally unlimited. Of course this is just my opinion of the area others might disagree.
You did not ask a non-leading question.

If you're looking for Catholic churches, skew towards Charlotte.

Where I live, people are friendly, but they have set social circles. Have some patience & make some efforts to fit in & you will be included. It's that way in most places.

If you stay in the area from Charlotte to Asheville, land prices rise & fall as you enter & leave the areas influenced by Charlotte, Greenville-Spartanburg, & Asheville. Medical facilities are tied to Charlotte for a way out. If you go further north it's different.

How can you expect a straight answer when you throw out an opinion tied to a question but you don't want to give the basic piece of information that people give when they ask for assistance. They tell us what they want. Given that little piece of information, which you appear to think is none of our business, we can tell people which areas they are likely to find agreeable. You started out by saying that Asheville is too provincial for you. Most of what is between Charlotte & Asheville is smaller places. If Asheville is too provincial, why would we assume that a smaller place would be to your liking if you don't tell us what you want?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM

196 posts, read 576,073 times
Default We're moving to NC in a few years...

...for many reasons. One is the Bailey decision. Another is that, since our daughter attends college in NC we've spent more time there and grown to really like it.

We're from the Baltimore-Washington area and find North Carolina is generally friendlier, lower cost, people are less pretentious, and things move at a slightly slower pace. We bought a house on Topsail Island (hoping no issues with Irene) and our master plan would be to but a small condo in Asheville.

That would give us the best of both ends of NC. At Topsail we have the ocean and sound to walk, kayak, and a chance to explore the local history of the area all with a city like Wilmington close by.

We were taken with Asheville too. A beautiful smaller city with sidewalk cafes, Beer City USA, and outdoor activities like hiking and whitewater sports.

We're not "provincial" in that we visit someplace and compare it to where we come from. I look forward to discovering the local history and attractions and becoming a North Carolinian, not someone from Maryland.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
So this is more what you're looking for? I can do that.

Hickory is a small town with a large Baptist and Lutheran population and lots of unemployment. Most people are friendly with strangers but may not have room in their lives for new close friends. Generally the overall cost of living here is about average for the lower 48. The road system is fairly good and the traffic congestion is typical for a small urban/suburban area. The public transportation is not extensive. Access to culture and entertainment, dining are plenty for me. Schools are generally fair but do vary by district. There are several hospitals in the area, but people who want excellent care go to Charlotte or Winston-Salem. Outdoor activities are unpleasant from June through August. Others might disagree.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
:::laughs:::

Um, nooooo, most folks consider Asheville to be quite "unique".

NC is a diverse state. The mountain area isn't defined by Asheville just as that city isn't anything like Charlotte or Raleigh (two metros that have their own differences, for all that they are the largest populated areas in the state). Once you get east of Raleigh, you enter into a whole different kind of territory. Some of us don't want much to do with any of that and stick to the Winston-Salem area.

You're just going to have to get a sampling of each part and be specific about what you are looking for. Talking about historic and long-past residents doesn't help much in suggesting what you want out of the state today.

I think many people don't realize that NC is a big, diverse state. It is 52,669 sq mi (land area 48,843 sq mi). There are 100 counties. Most of the population is in the central piedmont region in the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte metros, about 30 or so counties. The entire state is not overpopulated and crowded. In fact there are some very small towns in NC (select tab).

Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i don't either. NC wasn't urbanizing much when daniel boone left, and it wouldn't for over 100 years.

how this relates to modern day North Carolina, or why someone would choose to move here or not, or the bailey act, is unclear.

The OP mentioned retirement and the Bailey Act. The Bailey Act if I have this correct, prevents the taxation of some Federal/Military Pensions by NC. Taxation is a very important part of a retirees criteria for where they retire.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Being a native son, do you feel that Daniel Boone was wrong when he left North Carolina saying it was too crowded?
Do you really think anything from Daniel Boone's time is relevant to 2011? Are you aware how much every state in the US, but NC in particular, has changed since then? NC was very agrarian then, but thanks to Research Triangle Park and banking, the Triangle and Charlotte are "new urban" places now bearing little resemblance to themselves even 75 years ago, let alone in Boone's time. and actually I think many states have lots of smaller cities vs one large one. Louisiana, Illinois, Georgia, and Nevada are the exceptions. Cities develop for certain reasons having little to do with which state's boundary they were placed in 2 centuries ago.

You should visit Charlotte if you want to see NC's version of "a big city". Actually from Raleigh to Charlotte is known as the "urban crescent" and while no one city (other than Charlotte) has a huge population, you will find plenty of "urbanity" (good and bad) in this area.

Quote:
Now that I've explained a little, do you feel that your response typifies that dislike of all things foreign or inconsistent with your perception? Is everything in your town perfect? Why does my impression of Asheville as provincial upset you?
It's the chip on your shoulder that irritated him, I suspect.

Instead of casting aspersions at NC, maybe if you laid out what specifically you are looking for and we could tell you whether you are likely to find it here, it would work better.

Last edited by Francois; 08-25-2011 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina