U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM

40 posts, read 51,483 times
Default Is it illegal to carry a unloaded shotgun in your vehicle?

My 16 year old son is wanting to take his shotgun down to his moms house in Duncan South carolina from Cleveland county NC.

Is it legal for him to have his shotgun shells and shotgun in his truck if the shotgun is not loaded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM

572 posts, read 725,559 times
He can carry it loaded, unloaded, partially loaded or any other way he wants as long as it's not concealed from view. The exception to the concealment law is to have a permit, or the weapon must be in a locked container like a gun case, the trunk of the car or locked in a glove box but there is no law against it being loaded. That applies to NC. I have no idea what SC gun laws are.

Unread 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

40 posts, read 51,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
He can carry it loaded, unloaded, partially loaded or any other way he wants as long as it's not concealed from view. The exception to the concealment law is to have a permit, or the weapon must be in a locked container like a gun case, the trunk of the car or locked in a glove box but there is no law against it being loaded. That applies to NC. I have no idea what SC gun laws are.
How sure are you about this?

Because the last thing i want is for my son to get arrested lol

Unread 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,301,525 times
I'm not sure about the legality of having an unsupervised minor be in possession of a firearm of any type. Maybe call the local DA's office and ask. They will most likely know the answer.

Unread 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,568,204 times
an excerpt to state laws....

NC Firearms Law

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:41 PM

7,321 posts, read 5,615,321 times
How old is your son?

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:43 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,775,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
My 16 year old son is wanting to take his shotgun down to his moms house in Duncan South carolina from Cleveland county NC.

Is it legal for him to have his shotgun shells and shotgun in his truck if the shotgun is not loaded?
Also ask on the Greenville/Spartanburg board. I've heard from a couple of people that the law changes when you cross the state line.

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:46 PM

7,321 posts, read 5,615,321 times
Just re-read your post.....
Your son is 16 he is not of legal age to own a shotgun.

Unread 09-17-2011, 05:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,495,797 times
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread. NC's gun laws are surprisingly lax, but that's because of its rural heritage.

First, no one under 18 may possess a handgun, unless supervised by an adult who is "present" (whatever that means). There are also exceptions for military and emancipated minors.

For shotguns and rifles, no one under age 12 is allowed to possess or use unless under the direct supervision of a parent/guardian. That means it is lawful for your 16 year old (or anyone else 12 or older) to possess a shotgun. Transport laws require that it not be concealed (defined as hidden and within reach of a vehicle occupant). It's recommended that shotguns/rifles be unloaded and locked in the trunk. But if it's in a locked gun rack or case, it can be carried in the passenger compartment.

Your son should be aware that he can't transport it onto school property. Also, if he does happen to get pulled over for any reason, he should immediately inform the cop that he has a weapon to avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

Don't know SC laws, but I'd guess they are similar.

Things have changed, though. When I was in high school, it was quite acceptable to bring our shotguns to school so we could go hunting afterwards. As long as you left them in your vehicle it was no problem. Seems crazy these days, but that's the way it was. Lots of kids went hunting, so it was no big deal.

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM

3,086 posts, read 3,182,595 times
Unload the shotgun, put it in the trunk and he's good to go. No problem as long as he's not a felon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina