Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:58 AM

14 posts, read 67,538 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member of this forum. I´m german and I´m living in northern germany.
For about 1,5 year I´m trying to get a visa for the US. After 9/11 it´s becoming more and more difficult to get a visa. But i´m working hard for it and I think I will make it. I was very happy to find this forum and I will try to find out and read everything about your great country.

Yours

american friend

Please apologize bad (school-)english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Your saying "your great country" makes you MY friend too.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Your English is fine. My family line is originally from the Heidelberg, Germany area by way of southeastern Pennsylvania over the past 275 years. North Carolina has many families of German ancestry. Good luck with your visa and willkommen.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-28-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Thanks for your welcome

Hi again

thanks very much for your welcome

fastfilm : Thank you very much. You are my first friend in The US. If I erver should manage it to live in your country, I will invite you to good german beer!!!

mm34b : Thank you very much too. I heard, that there are a lot of germans in north carolina. I tried to find out, if there is something like a german comunity in NC. Maybe you, or someone else, knows anything about it.

Yours

american friend

Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I have a friend that was adopted by a German family and their last name was Fraenzel. When she and her sister got married her father is like, "I raised you two with a fine German name like Fraenzel and what do you to do? One of you married a Jones and the other a Smith." Absolutely the most stubborn man I have ever seen in my life. Once when they were evacuating the coast for a hurricane, he refused to leave. The authority that was going house to house to enforce the evacuation as much as they could told him that if he wasn't going to leave to put this toe tag on his big toe so if worse came to worse by him staying, they would know who he was. That would have been enough for me. I would have been asking which way was out. Not him. He calmly asked them which foot and toe did they want the tag on. And he didn't leave and he is still alive and kicking and over 90 years old. He and his wife finally moved to Greensboro although I am not sure why. The wife died in a car accident some years ago.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Hi Bethanytedder,

I hope, you don´t think all germans are like the father of your friend. Many of them are really stubborn (new word for me, I had to look into the dictionary), conservative and really boring, these are some of the reason, why I´m hoping to live in your country as soon as possible.

american friend

Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Oh I know he was the exception to the rule. Nobody else could even come close to this man. I hope that you will be with us for a long time after you get here.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
I'm not aware of any current German communities in North Carolina, but I've read that most German immigrants settled in NC's Piedmont Region in 17th and 18th centuries. Many clustered in Gaston County. If you are looking for present-day Germans, they are probably students in the Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) area.

Location of Gaston County

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Map_of_North_Carolina_highlighting_Gaston_County.p ng (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 04-28-2006 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2006, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,661 times
Guten Tag, mein freund!

I lived in Germany for 3.5 years (stationed at the now-closed Hahn AFB). It remains one of my family's favorite places. If you get to this country, I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed yours.

Designingmama

Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Hallo american friend!

I moved to the USA over 20 years ago from Nuernberg. I lived in Wisconsin for many years. Milwaukee has a large German population. We just moved to North Carolina last month and we love it! Viel Glueck mit deinem versuch nach Amerika zu kommen! Ich hoffe das alles gut geht! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina