Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM

577 posts, read 1,895,805 times

Advertisements

State Road Money Shrinking as Congestion Increases :: WRAL.com I always hear how NC traffic is no where as bad as up North, maybe that is not so true. Welcome to the new south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM

29 posts, read 45,030 times
Default Don't worry

From what I've seen, the housing market has stopped the mass migration to NC.

Now you'll be able to spend less time in the car and more time in that house of yours that's depreciating as we speak.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:15 PM

577 posts, read 1,895,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm112233 View Post
From what I've seen, the housing market has stopped the mass migration to NC.

Now you'll be able to spend less time in the car and more time in that house of yours that's depreciating as we speak.
Ya very true and my tax bill will be much less also, oh and since I bought way back I dont think Ill be having any depreciation issues but not really a concern anyway. If over inflated house values were that important every one would be flocking to NY and NJ. No Id rather stay at home here with a correctly valued home, but thanks anyway.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM

648 posts, read 2,971,322 times
Too many cars driving too many miles. Take a bus, or even get out and walk or bike!!

More roads leads to more cars leads to more roads etc. etc. etc...

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,633,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Too many cars driving too many miles. Take a bus, or even get out and walk or bike!!

More roads leads to more cars leads to more roads etc. etc. etc...
Please do a search on the many threads about bus service in the forum. It's just a fact of life that other then Chapel Hill (for Chapel Hill only) bus service is rather sub par.

Communtes into RTP also are rather long...don't know many folks that can ride a bike over 20 miles before work and turn it around and ride it home.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,070,401 times
Let me tell you, the driving around NYC/NJ/Boston would make a Nascar driver from NC shake....whenever we're in those areas, I pray more than in a month of Sundays....my hubbie is an exceptional driver and even HE gets a little unnerved at times. That feeling of going 75-80 MPH with inches between bumpers is highway russian roulette IMO....and heaven forbid you go anywhere near the speed limit! You're practically bumper-carred (my own new word ) off the road!!!!!

I have a son who lives 20 minutes outside Manhattan and he traverses those roads everyday ........gives mom one more thing to worry about!

Enjoy your relatively mild traffic compared to the northeast; with the most aggressive growth, I can't imagine the traffic in Raleigh and area ever coming close to a Holland Tunnel ,Tappan Zee Bridge or Boston's Big Dig experience at 5 pm on a Friday which is in NC's favor for sure!!!!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 08-22-2007 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 AM

648 posts, read 2,971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Please do a search on the many threads about bus service in the forum. It's just a fact of life that other then Chapel Hill (for Chapel Hill only) bus service is rather sub par.

Communtes into RTP also are rather long...don't know many folks that can ride a bike over 20 miles before work and turn it around and ride it home.
No need: I have contributed to many such threads. The bus service won't get better until there is more demand, which may come as a result of the road conditions. There would be more routes, more often. There is demand in Chapel Hill, and as a result, they have a good service.

Obviously not everyone has chosen to live close to work. However, infill and more jobs in downtown Raleigh and Durham have led to more opportunities to live close to work, and to consider cycling as the primary commuting method. As with buses, as more cyclists appear, more greenways and bike lanes will appear.

We can hope that as the traffic situation and roads get worse, more people will turn to cycling, walking and bus (and even *gasp* rail). Or we could just keep dumping money into more pavement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina