Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM

33 posts, read 118,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Our subdivision was built on farmland (my neighbors family owned all of the land for years and years). Anyhow, we have a community well and individual septic tanks. Although the developer digs a well and sets it up and passes it through standards set by the state of nc (1/2 gallon pumping per minute per household) plus contaminate standards, the developer basically sells the well and land surrounding it to a utility comnpany (our is aqua NC which used to be heater utilities). Basically, they are required to provide the soil testing results to you, and they don't seem to have a problem doing it.

Anyhow, aqua is a large company and has more than 700 wells all over nc, primarily in the triangle and charlotte. You just need to figure out who own the well for the development and go to that company (or if it is city water, then you need to ask them).

Leigh
Thanks Leigbhe -- that's good to know too. Is it common for the water to come from a well on the sub-division property? or is it more common for it to come from another source off of the property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by li23 View Post
Thank you Cassie and Clodhopper. As you may already know, it's not just the drinking water. Homeowners with a basement need to understand that soil vapors can seep into your home from contaminated groundwater and soil through an improperly sealed basement.

I am just not sure how to go about having a test done on property that you don't own, but are interested in buying, especially in a new sub-division. I am sure that a developer would feel it would be worth losing my business if I insisted on it before buying.
I'm unclear as to what you mean by soil vapors from contaminated groundwater. Like arsenic from a former apple orchard?

What we ran into is that houses with basements here (at least the ones we looked at ) were *not* properly sealed. IOW's, they didn't have weepholes under the slab around the perimeter every 8 feet apart, no protective tar spray on the outside of the foundation wall. No gravel, then draintile on the outside of the foundation wall, another layer of gravel on top of the draintile, and then a fabric that is laid on top of the gravel. It's also highly recommended to put in a sump pump.

We passed on every house with a basement that we looked at. There was obvious leachage in every one we saw that had any block wall. It may not be evident yet in brand spanking spanking new houses but if the protection isn't there, it will be later.

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-07-2006 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I'm unclear as to what you mean by soil vapors from contaminated groundwater. Like arsenic from a former apple orchard?

What we ran into is that houses with basements here (at least the ones we looked at ) were *not* properly sealed. IOW's, they didn't have weepholes under the slab around the perimeter every 8 feet apart, no protective tar spray on the outside of the foundation wall. No gravel, then draintile on the outside of the foundation wall, another layer of gravel on top of the draintile, and then a fabric that is laid on top of the gravel. It's also highly recommended to put in a sump pump.

We passed on every house with a basement that we looked at. There was obvious leachage in every one we saw that had any block wall. It may not be evident yet in brand spanking spanking new houses but if the protection isn't there, it will be later.

Cassie
Wow you really do your homework!

Where I live now, there is a former Manufactured Gas Plant not too far away and the underground storage tanks corroded and leaked the sludge from coal tar into the ground. If the water is contaminated, the vapors can get trapped in the soil and cause a problem along with the contaminated water. Vapors from the contaminated groundwater plume can rise and enter into the house through the basement.
What can you tell me about the arsenic from apple orchards?
I don't like having to think about this in buying a new house, but having the experience already, we don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Quote:
Wow you really do your homework!.
LOL. Wish I could take the credit but my husband gets that for knowing how to build a basement. He makes me look smart.

Quote:
Where I live now, there is a former Manufactured Gas Plant not too far away and the underground storage tanks corroded and leaked the sludge from coal tar into the ground. If the water is contaminated, the vapors can get trapped in the soil and cause a problem along with the contaminated water. Vapors from the contaminated groundwater plume can rise and enter into the house through the basement. !.
Okay, gotcha.

Quote:
What can you tell me about the arsenic from apple orchards? I don't like having to think about this in buying a new house, but having the experience already, we don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire
The problem seems to be with the arsenic based chemicals that were used. Apparently they have an extremely long half-life. Of course there are varying opinions about the danger, what should be done about it etc. Here's a URL with some information.

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2006/114-8/focus.html (broken link)

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-08-2006 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: trying to fix the 3rd quote

Old 09-08-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
LOL. Wish I could take the credit but my husband gets that for knowing how to build a basement. He makes me look smart.

Okay, gotcha.

The problem seems to be with the arsenic based chemicals that were used. Apparently they have an extremely long half-life. Of course there are varying opinions about the danger, what should be done about it etc. Here's a URL with some information.

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2006/114-8/focus.html (broken link)

Regards,

Cassie
thank you Cassie -- you've been a great help.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 35,603 times
Default A number of sources exist

Quote:
It seems as though a lot of the new sub-divisions are built on retired farmland. Does anyone know if there are tests made available to the public on the water and soil quality on these properties?
Yes, there are a number of sources available to get this information including county extension offices, private soil scientists and water quality labs.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-12-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
When buying old farm land / acreage, treat it as though you are buying industrial land. That's really what it is. If you are purchasing a lot in a larger platted subdivision, I wouldn't be as concerned, because typically any bank financing the development will require a full environmental phase I, or if there are any concerns about the property a phase II. A phase II environmental consists of analyzing soil borings and testing groundwater among other things.

Burried fuel tanks aren't the only hazard on old farms. Be aware of "cow dips" - large pits in the ground where farmers used to mix water and arsenic to dip cows in to keep fleas under control. Also, people used to dump old motor oil, pesticides, and other toxic chemicals on farm land, not to mention old manure pits and covered over dumps.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,330 times
Default NC State Utilities Commission

The NC State Utilities commission has control over all community well systems that serve more that approx. 25 people. That is people not houses. They require monthly testing for e coli and other bacteria. They also require other periodic test for contaminants and lead. Should a community well test positive for any bacteria or contaminants, all customers are required to be notified. Any customer on a community well should receive an annual report showing what testing was done and the results. This is required by the state.

All newly drilled wells are required to be tested for water quality and contaminants before being put into use.

I am not that smart either. My husband drilled wells for a living for most of his life.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
My girlfriend's parent's property has a tank under a shed. It probably held diesel at one time. The concern is that the three caps seem to be pretty sealed shut. Is there a way to safely open them or get in the tank to determine if there is something in it. Her father who passed away had a penchant for hiding things. She wonders if he might not have hidden some valuables in the tank. Any insight in this matter is welcomed.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Does anyone know of any information or website that has any information in Irredel county as to how many junk/abandoned cars a person can have?
In back of my property and really visable since the leaves have dropped, on this rather large piece of land, this person has dozens of buses and cars all rotting away.He seems to work on vehicles as a job on his property.
What concerns me is i am on a well and who knows what still lurks in those rotten, rusty old things!! Fuel, coolent seeping in the soil or something??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina