U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2011, 10:48 PM

125 posts, read 160,501 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a used car in Wake County. Never bought a car before, so I'm not sure what all the legal steps are.

I know I should get a bill of sale, and I can get a sample form from the internet. And I know the seller and I need to sign the title in front of a notary public (or am I reading the requirement incorrectly and buyer and seller can just sign in each other's presence and that is sufficient?). As long as the paper title does not reflect a lien, can I be certain that there is no lien on the car?

And I also have to have the seller complete the Damage Disclosure Statement.

It seems like the next step is transferring title at the DMV and pay the title fee.

After that, what other fees are involved and when do they get charged? I guess sales tax will be charged when I try to register the car. What other fees are involved? Do I need an inspection certificate prior to registering?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM

335 posts, read 532,826 times
I sold my used car (15 year old car) and the only thing I gave the buyer was the signed, notarized title. I also bought an used van last month from TX. All I needed was notarized signed title. The van is 11 year old. So, I did not need all the odometer form etc. I paid my title/registration/license plate fee all at one time (about $170 total). They issued the registration and license plate immediately. Title came in the mail about a week ago. They have a standard tax (about $150 regardless of the vehicle value below certain value) for vehicles below certain value or on old vehicles. I did not have to get the vehicle inspected (may be because it's an out of state vehicle). My registration and inspection are extended until next year (12 months from registration date). I would need to pay property tax on it and the bill for which would arrive in the next 3 months.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

8,177 posts, read 10,795,785 times
I sold a car to someone and when we went to the bank to get his cashier's check, we just had them notarize the title while he and I both signed it. I took my plate and left; he had not gotten a plate yet, but headed to do so right afterwards. I don't know what his insurance situation was.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm facing an issue even before getting to registration and plates. See my vehicle titling thread.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 PM

251 posts, read 318,096 times
Jupiter~

You need to have him register the car and obtain title in his name for your own protection. There is most likely a reason he has not registered the car himself and it sounds like he is trying to pass the problem on to you. At best he is lazy...at worst he can't register the car himself, or he is illegally trying to avoid paying taxes on the original transaction. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Jupiter~

You need to have him register the car and obtain title in his name for your own protection. There is most likely a reason he has not registered the car himself and it sounds like he is trying to pass the problem on to you. At best he is lazy...at worst he can't register the car himself, or he is illegally trying to avoid paying taxes on the original transaction. Good luck.
He's got a valid NC driver's license (I've seen it), so he should be able to title it, so I'm guessing it's because he doesn't want to pay the taxes. Yes, by the letter of the law, this is illegal, but from the spirit of the law, it is not. He is not a genuine buyer of the vehicle - he only 'purchased' it to sell it on his friend's behalf.

I had a mechanic check out the car and it's in good condition.

I suppose if NC DMV won't accept the title without notarization, I could have this guy title it in his name, I'll pay the highway use tax for him (I'm getting a good deal on the car, and he can find someone else who will either pay the tax for him, or pay more for the car, which effectively does the same thing), wait until the new title is issued, and then transfer title from him to me, paying highway use tax again. This would take more time and be a windfall to the state, collecting tax twice for what is one genuine sale.

Last edited by jupiter; 10-21-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina