Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,588,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Like the horsefly, but it was much bigger than that one.
How big are we talking Scorp.........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,028,822 times
OK, glad I was able to help. They just recently came out of the ground so they are flying around right now. There are many different types of cicadas, so the one you saw may have a looked a tad different. They're big clumsy bugs and make a lot of noise, but they're harmless.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
That's a beautiful shot of the dragonfly! Thank you for that. I think dragonflies are my favorite bugs - or, maybe, butterflies - they're both right up there.

Saw a wonderful documentary last night on Public TV about NC butterflies and dragonflies - what a beautiful variety in NC.

They didn't mention anything about mouse size flies, though. For bugs, try the Museum of Natural History in Raleigh - great place to visit!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,935,253 times
LOL!!!!

See, he saw one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
How big are we talking Scorp.........

Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM

125 posts, read 529,035 times
Okay, the ones we have here ... take that pic of the horsefly, paint it jet black and triple its size, no kidding.... they are about as long as my thumb and the width of both of my index fingers put together!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 9,557 times
Default kay8 to scorp - giant fly ?

The pic posted of a giant fly with wings much longer than it's body...do you know it's name? This is exactly like the one I have, I am in Melbourne Australia (it is now dead in a container) don't have a pic but it's measurements and description are:
22mm body length - 60mm wing span - large fly type eyes - OrangelBlack striped under body - when flying makes loud buzzing sound.....hope you can help me with identification...or anyone else that can assist...
Thanks Kay8

Old 12-08-2007, 07:24 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,102,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
CICADA!

Except I could swear it had the head of a fly.

I think if I had let it remain in my apartment, it would have turned into Jeff Goldblum.

Hey, I like Jeff Goldblum!

Aha, here it is - mystery solved - Thanks!:

Scorp200: When we see any insect for the first time we yank out the flying insect/wasp/hornet spray. We kill the invader(s) and then spray the deck rails where they like to land. Best defense is a good offense so we tend to overreact...but it leaves us rather insect free.

In a different post that Catrick started about flies I heard about cicadas for the first time!! They sound like illegal immigrant flies to me. Maybe she will pick up on this post and add to the mix.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-08-2007 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling of poster's ID

Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,630,630 times
Haven't seen any horseflies (yet). But I am amazed that after four nights of freesing weather that included snow flurries, these Tar Heel flies are still around. Apparently they heard it was going to warm up and wanted to stay around. They are hearty bugs.

Actually I think I saw horseflies in the summer. And since it is summer in Australia, it could be your time for them. As far as the name of the fly, I don't know. Actually, mm34b would be the one to know this answer.

Mikey, I am ready to give up on these flies. I just wave hi now and tell them to buzz off.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,102,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Haven't seen any horseflies (yet). But I am amazed that after four nights of freesing weather that included snow flurries, these Tar Heel flies are still around. Apparently they heard it was going to warm up and wanted to stay around. They are hearty bugs.

Actually I think I saw horseflies in the summer. And since it is summer in Australia, it could be your time for them. As far as the name of the fly, I don't know. Actually, mm34b would be the one to know this answer.

Mikey, I am ready to give up on these flies. I just wave hi now and tell them to buzz off.
Good to read your posts again, and as usual your reply was to the point. I agree that mm34b would know the answer. I am still using vinegar (watch the stock value soar) and the flies are now few and far between and those that are here are about as fast as a snail and easy pickins

Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,917,023 times
Does it look like this? Click on photo to enlarge.

Species Tabanus atratus - Black Horse Fly - BugGuide.Net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina