Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

I graduate from college 8 months ago and am still looking for a job in the IT industry, which i believe was suppose to be the widest or most needed degree. I graduated with with a BA in programming and minor in Business Administrative. I had applied over 500+ jobs a lot of interview and phone calls, but nothing. Help would be awesome. I have tried careerbuilder, monster, and thousand of other site. Let me know if any other site would be awesome thanks or any job opening of programming, web developer, or it related let me know thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM

525 posts, read 1,295,097 times
Default located where?

What town are you looking in?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,076,602 times
I truly sympathize with recent college graduates, especially those in areas like IT. The "experts" were forecasting that it would be a high-demand profession, however I'm not sure anyone accurately predicted the massive offshoring of jobs to less mature economies like China, India, etc... The area that's been hardest hit is IT, and particularly the lower-level IT jobs. That's certainly where my company started its offshoring (they like to call it global sourcing), however its now bleeding into many other areas. I myself am a management level employee with over 10 years of experience in my industry and am one of just a few experts in my area at my company, however I've just been displaced from my job due to offshoring to India. They're paying these folks in India anywhere from $10-13k per year to do jobs (or at least the routine parts of jobs) that they were paying folks in the USA anywhere from $50-125k.

I have heard of instances where recent grads in the US are being hired by these companies in India and they go over there for a few years and live the good life...even $13k will let you live pretty large there. Then they come back to the States with great international experience under their belt and are well-positioned to lead a company's offshoring efforts here.

While I'm quite opposed to offshoring of jobs to India, etc... if I were a recent college grad in your position I'd certainly be giving something like this a look. But alas, I'm in my mid-30s with a child nearing school age and a wife with a good job, so there's no way I'd do something like that now.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 95,618 times
Have u tried the "temp to perm" positions with temp companies? More and more employers are hiring through temp agencies. They test drive the employee while on temp status and if they like, they hire on a permanent basis.

If you haven't done this, I would start immediately. Place yourself with a couple of different agencies and take the first promising temp assignment that comes along. It's a big foot in the door and if you are competent, you likely will be hired on a permanent basis.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Sorry it took me so long in replying, i got lost of this site since it didn't sent me anything to my email to tell me i was a member. Anyways yeah i'm still, one company was gonna hired me but then backed off at the last minute. I tried looking as you said temp to perm. Over sea is not good for me since i have a family to take care off. We are barely passing by, I look job from Wisconsin to North Carolina and willing to move or live with relatives near there. I hope anyone who can help please shout me a message or comment. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,033,484 times
29c3, I hope you don't mind my asking, but is English your second language? I ask because of some of the grammatical errors in your posts. This may be what is scaring off your potential employers. I think you should take some additional English classes just to help you get a little more familiar with the language. I know this may sound discouraging. Afterall, you're really doing quite well! But communication skills are very important so if you can improve, it will certainly help in the long run. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Yes, english is my second language. Actually i went to college and took all those english classes, which i can speak it no problem at all and fluently. Writing it or in this case typing it I have problem with grammars and all those (who made up those) rules... I don't believe that the problem at all, since i know that the problem was experience to start with. What a waste of my 4 years of college and a waste of money.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 PM

586 posts, read 1,965,845 times
Google is looking for people in Lenoir . . . try this link for Job Searching:

The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

Old 03-30-2008, 03:56 AM

6 posts, read 18,703 times
My son is a native English speaker who has a BA in IT and it took him 6 months to find a job and he had several years experience with a company who sold his division. He finally had to take a pay cut..check out the universities! its not great pay but they do generally have pretty good sized IT departments! Good luck and I would brush up on my grammer

Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,733,426 times
In NC, your best bets for programming jobs are going to be in RTP (Raleigh area) or Charlotte. Both have lots of Fortune 500 type companies. In addition to the normal job websites, craigslist usually has a lot of openings posted.

You mention lack of experience. I think that is the key. Co-op jobs are extremely important in the programming field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: