U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Didn't the Metrolina close? Or has it reopened?
I just called to make sure and yes they are open. The lady stated the best time to visit is in the mornings during this summer the animals are more out.

It also is not far from Lazy 5 ranch and you have option for wagon ride or drive your car thru the park but hang on to the feed buckets or the emu's will take the whole bucket with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 55,821 times
I think the zoo is worth the trip just bring a stroller or wagon to pull the kids in if they're young. I would definitely recommend going in the cooler weather say Oct. Nov. The animals seem a lot more active in cooler weather.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 PM

4,967 posts, read 11,003,255 times
I love the NC zoo and we take the kids at least once a year....

Yes it is a lot of walking, my family walks and runs regularly so I don't mind it. I've been to the San Diego Zoo several times and I think the NC Zoo is just as nice.

Definitely better to go in the Fall or Spring though. You can park at either end, the Americas or African end, although at certain times you are told which end to park.

Plan to stay the day, it takes that long to see everything. Also when you park you might consider taking the shuttle to the far end of the park and just work your way back to where you park, otherwise you'll be in a long line at the end of the day.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:29 AM

847 posts, read 3,222,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I just called to make sure and yes they are open. The lady stated the best time to visit is in the mornings during this summer the animals are more out.

It also is not far from Lazy 5 ranch and you have option for wagon ride or drive your car thru the park but hang on to the feed buckets or the emu's will take the whole bucket with them.
Oh, thanks! I'm glad it is not what I had heard. We will check out this ranch, too.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,952,055 times
I plan on going in the fall when my oldest is tracked out of school. I did go to the National Zoo in Dc this past July. It will be tough to compete with that. But anything is better than the zoo in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina