Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: job market for graphic design, affordable towns, reasonable taxes, environment, schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 AM

48 posts, read 153,635 times

Advertisements

Think before you move. lol. Moved down here from North Jersey/NYC area a year ago. Moving back to jersey in about a month. Take that for what you will. Some people love it in NC. I am not one of them. Life is to slow down here for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrartist View Post
Hello all,

BACKGROUND: I'm including details to help paint a vivid picture and provide an accurate comparison for others in their research:
Originally from outside of Harrisburg, PA, moved to NJ in 1993. I have a wife and one small child. My wife is a stay-at-home mom (which means she works 10 times harder than when she was a product manager at fortune 500 company), and we would prefer her to continue to do so for the time being.

I am Senior Graphic Designer at a Marketing/Design Firm located in northern Jersey. Earn approx. $55,000/yr not including freelance. We are now in a 2 BR apartment. Obviously want a house to call our own..who doesn't? Now starting to market myself for more freelance illustration and design work to supplement income so living near NYC is a potential bonus.

I like NJ. Lots of positives: proximity to beach; Lots to do; racially diverse (should have taken spanish in high school...); my desire to enter illustration market and continue graphic design is benefited by NYC and multitude of businesses in NJ. Seems great except....

COST OF LIVING IS HORRENDOUS. Property taxes are outrageous. Housing is astronomical. Heck, newspapers write stories about NJ. Everyone I know who is married w/kids with a house needs a double income to make it work. Is THAT a quality life? I'll work hard like any parent would, but I do want to see my kid grow up. That so unreasonable? Since I can't bear to send my kid to day care -- which is itself pricey...big shock -- to have double income, we need an alternative. If not for the above problems, we would stay.

The result?
We are considering a move to Philadelphia, Houston (wife has lived there before, seems like a viable option) or Dallas, or NC (apparantly a common choice - actually have friends who are relocating by end of month - but not sure of job market).

Main consideration are these:

1. Job market. Obviously very important. What is the job market for graphic design in NC or surrounding areas? Best city or vicinity for this career?

Obviously the importance of expanding my career/business involves a healthy economy and/or art community and businesses. Insights?

2. Housing. What are the affordable (under $200K reasonable?) and/or up-and- coming towns? Comments? Suggestions? insights?

3. Environment. You native residents..what do you enjoy? What are positives? any general comments? Any info or direction to get info is appreciated.

4. Schools. Obviously important.

I appreciate all your comments and input.

Houston? Over Charlotte?? Surely you jest LOL Seriously, I love Texas, and Dallas is actually a place I might live, but Houston? Since the hurricanes last year do you realize how many people and problems have relocated to Houston especially gang related problems? I would never recommend anymore move to that already overcrowded city. It's not even very attractive. Have you been to NC? This state is beautiful. Charlotte is particular is green and clean. Being the #2 banking center in the country, second only to NYC, there are jobs here - depending on what you are specifically looking for. If not Charlotte, then Raleigh/Durham can be an excellent choice for opportunity. For affordable housing you could try job hunting in the Greensboro area - cost of living would be better there than in the bigger cities. Give NC a serious look - this state has a lot going for it.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,775 times
i would not move to hendersonville nc or ashville been here 4 years and the crime is high for a little town and the housing are to much for what you get hate it here and the school are nothing to brag about.iam packing my bags and moving to wilmington.good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina