U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 PM

427 posts, read 679,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
These facts are why I said that southern (ie, southeastern US) is geography moreso than it is a "way of life" or a mentality. FWIW, many would not associate open homosexuality or open interacial dating with the "traditional southern way of life".
I have to say, though, the north and west also went thru a process of becoming open-minded to these issues. Whose to say the south isn't/won't go thru the same process? As someone who grew up in the south, I would ask why narrow-mindedness should be considered inherently "southern"?

Perhaps one factor is the north started out with a different religious base (mainstream protestant and catholic), the south more evangelical/fundamental ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM

62 posts, read 56,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
Nobody said nuthin' 'bout 'baccer, just farms ... yep, NY is pretty much fruit, cows, woods, some corn and grains, etc.

But yes, NC is the tobacco belt, not the cotton belt ... cotton's more the gulf coast, isn't it?

it is indeed in the cotton belt, which stretches as far north as VA

Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM

68 posts, read 68,883 times
I'm guilty of starting a thread myself but NC is without a doubt culturally historically and geographically 200% southern!! Like previously stated I think the problem is people have spent to much time in pockets in around Raleigh and Charlotte. But with that said there is so much more to NC than those areas. Outside of that NC is extremely southern & to the urbancharlotte no offense but that map of the election doesn't prove anything. Not only did Obama win NC by like 1% but the areas in Eastern NC are dominated by African Americans which characterize the coastal plains of the south and Clinton actually won GA and he didn't win NC. Colors of the state are a bit overated especially when considering a 1% defeat & Obama was pretty close to taking GA. But yeah NC= Southern/Southeast.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM

37 posts, read 28,223 times
Southbound Southbound. Wow wow and more wow. Where do you think I lived when I was in NC??? Shelby. First of all I have family in Salisbury. Half of my family is in NC and the other half is in Alabama. Do you know why because first of all a lot of people from the Carolinas and VA settled here. There are many of people with family from the western side of NC who live in Bama. Second of all they are southeners! They act just like southeners and they would take offense to you calling them Mid-Atlantic. I'm from North Alabama where you wan't find that gone with the wind style south you wan't find alligators or any of that stereotypical southern stuff. You will find the south of course but it will seem fairly similar to the piedmont of NC. Same as North Georgia. Now whoever taught you geography lessons is actually quite idiotic or mis-informed. In class when they taught us Mid Atlantic it was NY DE PA and NJ and not to mention but this is coming from teachers who actually live in the south. A matter of fact pick up an old World Encyclopedia I got one that goes back to the 50's and you will see that NC nor VA is included. Salisbury is home of Cheerwine Soda the legendnary southern drink and these people are serious about there southern pride more than people in North Bama to be honest. I live in rural Maryland and to say it feels anything like Shelby or Salisbury would be weird.
Salisbury, NC Historic Town - YouTube

Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 PM

13,177 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre2290 View Post
Southbound Southbound. Wow wow and more wow. Where do you think I lived when I was in NC??? Shelby. First of all I have family in Salisbury. Half of my family is in NC and the other half is in Alabama. Do you know why because first of all a lot of people from the Carolinas and VA settled here. There are many of people with family from the western side of NC who live in Bama. Second of all they are southeners! They act just like southeners and they would take offense to you calling them Mid-Atlantic. I'm from North Alabama where you wan't find that gone with the wind style south you wan't find alligators or any of that stereotypical southern stuff. You will find the south of course but it will seem fairly similar to the piedmont of NC. Same as North Georgia. Now whoever taught you geography lessons is actually quite idiotic or mis-informed. In class when they taught us Mid Atlantic it was NY DE PA and NJ and not to mention but this is coming from teachers who actually live in the south. A matter of fact pick up an old World Encyclopedia I got one that goes back to the 50's and you will see that NC nor VA is included. Salisbury is home of Cheerwine Soda the legendnary southern drink and these people are serious about there southern pride more than people in North Bama to be honest. I live in rural Maryland and to say it feels anything like Shelby or Salisbury would be weird.
Salisbury, NC Historic Town - YouTube
Well, since I never said that NC was not the South, I guess that you still need to prove me wrong. I suggest a trip to Woodstown & Bivalve in South Jersey. Get back to me then.

Woodstown NJ Annual 4th of July Celebration - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 AM

Umm once again you miss the point! This is what you're saying Southbound. You're saying that this extremely small portion of NEW JERSEY is pretty much like piedmont NC. Then you said your people went to Gainsville GA which is in North GA and you said they found a difference. How is that possible when North GA and North Bama are in fact southern Appalachain and piedmont south in look and feel?? Where is the difference? If I say that your argument is valid then I guess North Bama is mid atlantic and south?? In your video i didn't see any cheerwine drinking confederate flag waving southerners. All I saw was some New Jersey hicks with some tractors & some fireworks. So What? What are you trying to prove? & a matter of fact tell me this what did they see in Gainsville GA that made them more southern & please don't tell me it's because they didn't eat livermush because my friend in spooky deep south SC (sacrcastic) certainly introduced me to it. Actually showing that video proved the differences. NC is south only.

Last edited by tre2290; 11-16-2011 at 01:38 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 AM

3,271 posts, read 968,015 times
Heh, this thread reminds me of this book which came out a couple months ago about a similar topic:

Amazon.com: American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America (9780670022960): Colin Woodard: Books

The author's claim, which is similar to ones I remember hearing ages ago, is that the US is a series of culturally, politically, and often ethnically distinct subregions which create mini-nations similar to Europe, and which don't conform to state boundaries. The cover map shows NC existing in three regions- Tidewater, Greater Appalachia, and the Deep South. Even from that rough outline in my experience it's pretty much right on the money.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 AM

13,177 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre2290 View Post
Umm once again you miss the point! This is what you're saying Southbound. You're saying that this extremely small portion of NEW JERSEY is pretty much like piedmont NC. Then you said your people went to Gainsville GA which is in North GA and you said they found a difference. How is that possible when North GA and North Bama are in fact southern Appalachain and piedmont south in look and feel?? Where is the difference? If I say that your argument is valid then I guess North Bama is mid atlantic and south?? In your video i didn't see any cheerwine drinking confederate flag waving southerners. All I saw was some New Jersey hicks with some tractors & some fireworks. So What? What are you trying to prove? & a matter of fact tell me this what did they see in Gainsville GA that made them more southern & please don't tell me it's because they didn't eat livermush because my friend in spooky deep south SC (sacrcastic) certainly introduced me to it. Actually showing that video proved the differences. NC is south only.
No, you still don't get it. I said that it all depends on where you're from & where you go as to what your take is. I picked 2 towns but didn't put the video for the parade in Bivalve up because, well, it made the Woodstown parade look like a big city.

Of course you didn't see the Stars & Bars. It was a 4th of July parade, but drive around in South Jersey & you will see it. Heck, I had a neighbor in the suburbs of Philly who flew the Stars & Stripes & the Stars & Bars for every holiday, except the 4th of July.

I didn't quiz my sister & brother-in-law. I accepted their opinion as just that - their opinion. However, my brother-in-law was delighted to see livermush on menus. His (immigrant) grandmother in Philadelphia used to make it.

I'm not going to argue back & forth with you or anyone else. Again, it all depends on where you're from & where you go.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM

What made Gainsville GA more southern??????????

Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 5,584,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
I'm guilty of starting a thread myself but NC is without a doubt culturally historically and geographically 200% southern!! Like previously stated I think the problem is people have spent to much time in pockets in around Raleigh and Charlotte. But with that said there is so much more to NC than those areas. Outside of that NC is extremely southern & to the urbancharlotte no offense but that map of the election doesn't prove anything. Not only did Obama win NC by like 1% but the areas in Eastern NC are dominated by African Americans which characterize the coastal plains of the south and Clinton actually won GA and he didn't win NC. Colors of the state are a bit overated especially when considering a 1% defeat & Obama was pretty close to taking GA. But yeah NC= Southern/Southeast.
The real issue here is: "What is one's definition of Southern" and "Why would one care"? IMO, NC is southern. However, if someone said to me that NC is "not Southern" it would not make me angry. I've noticed that some folks get offended when NC's "southerness" is questioned. Why is that? Obviously, "southern" is a code word for something more than just a geographic location. I'd like to know exactly what that "something more" is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina