U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times

Advertisements

I'm proposing a North Carolina trivia game. Similar type threads were done in other states forums. This thread will be fun and educational for everyone.

Rules: The North Carolina Trivia question should be about North Carolina history, people, places, facts, activities or events, etc. The answer should be something that can be found on-line so every one has a chance at finding it if they search. i.e. it should not be something so obscure that it can only be found in a rare book that very few people have access to.

One question at a time. One person asks a question. Whoever first answers it correctly gets to ask the next question. Answers should be substantiated with a link to a web site or two that documents it. The person asking the question should confirm if the answer is correct. If no one seems to be able to find the correct answer after a day or so the person who asked the question can provide hints or provide the answer with substantiation and then ask a new question.

Here is the first question: Where does the name North Carolina come from and what does it mean?

Tip: when searching for an answer, keep in mind what future questions you might want to ask. You can find lots of interesting new questions while searching for an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM

45 posts, read 83,075 times
The word Carolina comes from the Latin word for Charles and was used in honor of King Charles I. It became North Carolina in 1729 when the Carolina colony was divided in two.

My trivia question is: What year did NC officially become a state?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times
Nov 21. 1789

Which is neither of the dates on the state flag. What are the two dates and what do they refer to?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Nov 21. 1789

Which is neither of the dates on the state flag. What are the two dates and what do they refer to?
May 20th, 1775 for the Mecklenburg Declaration

and

April 12th, 1776 for the Halifax Resolves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was the name of the anti-Confederate group which originated in NC & later spread to other states?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
May 20th, 1775 for the Mecklenburg Declaration

and

April 12th, 1776 for the Halifax Resolves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was the name of the anti-Confederate group which originated in NC & later spread to other states?
OK, it's been almost 24 hours. The answer is in this month's edition of Our State Magazine. You can read it online, if you don't have the actual magazine.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

The Heroes of America. That's interesting to me because I live in Randolph County where this group started.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,637,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNCBoy View Post
The Heroes of America. That's interesting to me because I live in Randolph County where this group started.
Good job The rules of game state whoever first answer corrects get to ask the next question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I'm proposing a North Carolina trivia game. Similar type threads were done in other states forums. This thread will be fun and educational for everyone.

Rules:
One question at a time. One person asks a question. Whoever first answers it correctly gets to ask the next question. Answers should be substantiated with a link to a web site or two that documents it. The person asking the question should confirm if the answer is correct. If no one seems to be able to find the correct answer after a day or so the person who asked the question can provide hints or provide the answer with substantiation and then ask a new question.

Here is the first question: Where does the name North Carolina come from and what does it mean?

Tip: when searching for an answer, keep in mind what future questions you might want to ask. You can find lots of interesting new questions while searching for an answer.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM

What was the name of the first governor of NC?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,658,351 times
Edward B. Dudley became the first governor elected by the people in 1836.

What did Conrad Reed's family use the first NC (US first as well) found gold nugget for?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:15 PM

They used it to hold the door open.

Name all of the sounds on the NC coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or