U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,274 times
Default Pinehurst people

My husband and I have been looking for a great place to bring up our two girls. I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin and loved the small conservative community, great schools, parks, low crime, etc.. The only problem I had was with some racial tension. My mom is white and my dad is asian. I lived there until 1997.. I moved out West to get away from that tension.

I really want to raise my kids in a place similar to where I grew up, and Pinehurst sounds so perfect. I know a lot has changed in ten years, and perhaps this is not a concern these days, but I want to see if anyone knows if that type of tension exists in Pinehurst.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 AM

120 posts, read 332,455 times
Tension in Pinehurst? Yes! Most definitely! This is a community that has traffic lights to allow golf carts to cross roads. The big tension now is whether to put in a "roundabout" for those entering/exiting the country club and whether some 60 longleaf pines should be torn down to make way for it.
Check out The Pilot (local newspaper). Read all about what is right/wrong in Pinehurst.
Seriously? Pinehurst is a nice, quiet, peaceful, and safe place to raise children. Look at Southern Pines, Aberdeen, and Seven Lakes, too.
Someone/somewhere is not going to like your, hairstyle, religion, color, eyemakeup, lipstick color, clothes, accent, smile, attitude, etc. Just take a look on this forum. But realize, it is a VERY small percentage.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,274 times
I am aching to live in a place where installing a roundabout for golf carts is an issue! Sounds like my hometown

Thank you for your response. I will check out the local paper. I will also check out those nearby cities.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM

40 posts, read 85,484 times
My Uncle lives in Pinehurst and has a daughter. They love it there. From what I hear schools are good too. My wife thinks it's more of a retirement community then for children. So she wants to move somewhere with more kids since our little one will be starting school in a year. I'm trying to convice her but it's hard. I thought Pinehurst was very quite and friendly.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM

Actually, its a "roundabout" for cars. But, some homes in Pinehurst have 2 and 1/2 car garages. The 1/2 is for their golf cart!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM

How about bringing your wife down for a visit to your uncle? Have her visit the schools on a school day. Check out the populations of the various schools in relation to the overall population. Younger families are moving into the area for its quietness, safety, and to be away from "city life".

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM

40 posts, read 85,484 times
My wife came down with me once. And we didn't see any kids playing in the neighborhoods. All she saw was Golfing. So she is afraid our son would be playing with the old golfer down the block who takes naps during the afternoon. How are the schools in Pinehurst. I see the Hospital is fairly new.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 PM

She's gotta come down during school year. Go to go-kart, mini-golf, batting cage. Go to the 10 theatre multiplex. Look at the new soccer fields, baseball fields, in-door/in-line skating rink. The towns are not building these things for seniors, that's for sure! 2 new high schools being planned, 3 middle schools, and 3 elementary schools. The old duffers are now being joined by the young tigers. By the way, hospital is state of the art and growing. Health Center has swimming lessons for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina