Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM

171 posts, read 447,998 times

Advertisements

For those signing up for EZ Pass accounts, which state do you sign up with?

Seems like VA EZ Pass doesn't want the extra business and only allows VA residents to sign up. And most of the other charge monthly fees, which reduce the appeal for someone who is only traveling up north a couple of times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Are you asking about using the EZ Pass on the new 540? Or just in general? We have the I-Pass from Illinois. I bought it when I was communting between Madison and Detroit. It works great on the WV I-77. Even works on the Ohio turnpike. No monthly charge. PAy $20 deposit for each transponder and they want you to have a minimum $40 account balance.
We just picked up a commercial unit for when we are towing the tandem axle trailer.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,056 times
I didn't know there were any toll roads in NC.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I didn't know there were any toll roads in NC.

The soon to be 540 toll road in the not so distant future. It appears the OP may be driving north through WV or around Maryland?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The soon to be 540 toll road in the not so distant future. It appears the OP may be driving north through WV or around Maryland?
Here's the word on the NC Quick pass for the new 540 toll road: https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml

It is *not* currently compatible with other states, although they are said to be working on it. It is only usable in NC now, and other state's transponders will not work in NC.

Just FYI, I think the Virginia one is not compatible with other states, but Maryland EZPass does work with other states.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
We kept our PA EZPass when we moved to SC. I changed my address, etc. on the site and so far they have not asked for it back. Although I'm not sure you can sign up for one if you are not a PA resident. There is a $6/year fee and if you put a credit card on file it will automatically add $35 when it gets down to $10 or lower. You also have the option to replenish manually with a check and as needed on a credit card. It does work in all the other states that we have tried to use it in up and down the east coast.

We keep it mainly because my husband goes back to PA once a month for work and it is easier for him to do that than to have to have money on hand. Plus there are some exits in the more rural areas of PA that are unmanned and they actually require exact change or EZPass.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Here is a map of where ez pass is accepted..

E-ZPass - Information (http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml - broken link)

Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM

171 posts, read 447,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It appears the OP may be driving north through WV or around Maryland?
Yes, driving to the northeast, and there are tons of tolls once you get north of DC.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,445 times
I have an NJ EZ-Pass account. I've used it all throughout the northeast and mid-Atlantic. And it's also compatible with Florida's SunPass. It would be great if NC can accept it since it's so widely accepted and well, it'd make the northeast/mid-Atlantic transplants happy. (not that we need to please them! )

Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 16,053 times
I live in Maryland, but I got my E-ZPass from Delaware. The DelDOT program does not have any monthly or annual account maintenance fees. Normally DelDOT charges $25.00 up front for each transponder, however right now through December 31 they are waiving the transponder fee. Even with the $25.00 fee up front, the Delaware program is still a better deal than Maryland. One thing to remember when opening an E-ZPass account with DelDOT, when you get to the page that asks you to "choose your state" always choose “Delaware” to avoid being redirected back to your home state’s agency. But don’t worry about having chosen Delaware, after getting around the redirect, you will get to real sign up page where you can enter your correct address and license plate information. This also holds true for avoiding the redirect on the websites of other E-ZPass agencies such as New York and Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina