Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times

Advertisements

I'm going to guess that they were there first, and you moved into the area. Oh well

Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM

873 posts, read 1,795,946 times
I couldn't rep you enough for this so I decided to post to thank you for yours!!! Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Why would you try to stop somebody enjoying a legal activity on their private property? It's really none of your business.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

249 posts, read 511,873 times
Figures. Another "unhappy" transplant complaining about something they're not used to.

Perhaps you should have researched the area better before you moved in. Now it's too late and you're complaining ?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,307,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
Figures. Another "unhappy" transplant complaining about something they're not used to.

Perhaps you should have researched the area better before you moved in. Now it's too late and you're complaining ?
You are correct, they should have researched the area before moving in. Unfortunately there are no signs to let you know of the neighborhood hazards like, "deer crossing","farm machinery on roads" or "beware of rednecks shooting machine guns"

Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It disturbed my peace-and-quiet on a Sunday. We live with Marines at Camp Lejeune firing heavy weapons, but I don't like private citizens owning automatic weapons. My husband was in the Army, and he was sure it was a fully-automatic weapon.
And he was in the Army to defend the freedoms we enjoy in this country. Your right to complain being one of them, their right to own firearms is another one.

It's not all about anyone of us, but all of us, and that is the perspective you need to keep in mind.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM

606 posts, read 725,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My husband was startled this afternoon to hear machine gun fire a few thousand yards away. After we also hear pistol and rifle shots, he called the sheriff's office. They answered that there is a landowner with a rifle range, and said they would send someone to check it out.

Apparently it is up to the discretion of the sheriff to allow the machine gun. There is also a 1997 NC law which grandfathers-in existing private shooting ranges and exempts them from local noise ordinances.

I am distressed at learning this is apparently legal in a suburban neighborhood (in Onslow County). Is there is any way of combating the situation?
You'd think they would have the common decency to use a silencer!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM

58 posts, read 230,918 times
OP, do yourself and everyone else a favor and move back to DC and/or Baltimore where you came from. Then you can more easily point your fingers at people who have guns and say, look there's the bad guy.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 PM

13,338 posts, read 26,813,142 times
OK folks, I did not want to open this up again, but I need to clarify my original report. The rest of the story is that people are *trespassing* on the property, and they have set up some targets to shoot at. The property is a failed development, possibly bank-owned. It is not posted, and the sheriff says they cannot do anything about it since it is not posted.

It is an occassional nuisance, but I have to live with it. Since I do not own the land, I have no standing to charge them with trespassing.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-07-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM

310 posts, read 669,648 times
Heavens to Betsy NO! You have no standing to charge them with a completely unrelated crime to your original post/complaint with which to force them to stop doing something you don't like! It's a travesty I tell you! If it's not posted, they can be there and there's nothing you or Lawman can do about it, and I like it that way. Where is this nice piece of land without trespassing signs located? I need somewhere to go shoot that doesn't charge me out the nose in range fees!

Yeah, I got a little sarcastic and snarky there, but only because of the last part of the OP's post that was basically sad that they couldn't bring down the Lawman on someone in order to stop them from doing something they don't like. That's not cool at all and that is NOT how we do things around here. Well, it wasn't how we did things around here. Then the invasion started...

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

13,338 posts, read 26,813,142 times
[quote=Mattman704;22448383] Where is this nice piece of land without trespassing signs located? QUOTE]

Let's just say it's on the coast, where the developers bought up 300 acres thinking they could sell it to rich retirees. There are also lots of trails thru the property where you can ride your ATV or dirt bike and make all the noise you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina