U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 42,763 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Ohio where floods are the biggest natural disaster we have to worry about, but I am extremely tired of the cold and constant rain and gray skies. I want to relocate down south, particularly to NC and I was curious about what areas are least prone to natural disasters. I'm willing to move anywhere in the state as long as I can find a house on at least an acre of treed land. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times
Tornadoes, sheer winds, flooding, Torrential rain (sometimes) and of course hurricanes closer to the coast. The major difference for you might be the HEAT and HUMIDTY that hangs around from July through August...and of course very little snow east of I 85 compared to Ohio.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:51 AM

That's quite a list zthatzmanz, is the entire state prone to some sort of disaster? And do the coastal cities catch the brunt of it?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM

351 posts, read 552,088 times
Tornadoes can be anywhere, just like Ohio. Seems the mountains help keep them down in the western part of the state.

Hurricanes are generally an eastern thing but at times, they effect the west. Hugo, I believe, wreaked havoc on Charlotte. Once in a while, one will come in through the gulf which can cause problems such as severe flooding for the mountain folks.

Heck, we even had an earthquake in Va. this year that was felt throughout the state.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Tornadoes can be anywhere, just like Ohio. Seems the mountains help keep them down in the western part of the state.
Yes, tornadoes went through the central part of the state in the summer destroying crops and wrecking the Walmart in Sanford.

I think if you looked at the area east of Raleigh and west of I-95 you would be fairly safe, fairly snow-free, and you could find an acre of treed land at a reasonable price. But no place is perfect.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
I would add that natural disasters should probably not be such an important criteria for you. They happen, but they are statistically very rare. With the exception of tornadoes (which can happen anywhere), you'll have plenty of warning to evacuate if they do occur. While flooding is probably the most common, it's pretty easy to avoid places that are subject to frequent floods. Seems you'd want to focus more on the things that would affect you daily, like climate, job opportunities, amenities, etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
But no place is perfect.
That's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc
While flooding is probably the most common, it's pretty easy to avoid places that are subject to frequent floods. Seems you'd want to focus more on the things that would affect you daily, like climate, job opportunities, amenities, etc.
I was wondering something, it seems the most common type of housing in NC is ranches or one level housing similar to this: 6409 S Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28217 MLS# 2052025 - Zillow. Does it have to do with floods or hurricanes? I was just really curious about this. And thank you everyone who has replied.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Grazia View Post
That's quite a list zthatzmanz, is the entire state prone to some sort of disaster? And do the coastal cities catch the brunt of it?
The winds are generally along 95 and can reach 20 miles or so either way. Not always an everyday event, but seem to be happening more? The snow is in the mountain areas. The coast can get beat up the hurricanes, but the effect has come inland 50-100 miles or more when it is a bad one.
More often than not the days are clear and sunny. When they are, it can be HOT and HUMID. When the clouds come in, the temperature can drop.
It is all seasonal, though tornades are spring and early fall events.
So if you want sunnier months and have the means to finance the lifestyle, it is probably a step up or 3 from the Ohio weather.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Grazia View Post
Does it have to do with floods or hurricanes?
No, but that rancher is the most common type of low-budget housing. A lot of brick is made in central NC, so brick was inexpensive. I think it's just a coincidence that it's harder to destroy in a hurricane.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
I really think picking a place to live in NC based on fear of natural disasters is wasting your energy. Other than the coast, which is in danger of hurrcanes every year (though in practice, really destructive ones are pretty rare), it's no different than anywhere as far as what weather phenomena can blow up. Tornadoes do happen in the central part of the state, but--as you know from Ohio--are very localized and completely unpredictable. It's not as if there is a "tornado alley" in the state.

The mountains are probably the best bet to avoid tornados, although there has been a hurricane that crossed throguh SC and went into the NC mountains before (Opal). However, anywhere on the east coast will have a >0 chance of EVER getting a hurrcane; it's just a probability issue. Of course in the mountains, you might have rockslides, but all of the events being mentioned are rare enoguh that I don't think any should be of concern to someone looking for a place to live. Base your relocation on job status, weather, and other amenities, not weather conditions. To avoid floods, mostly just don't live at the bottom of a hill or in a flood plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina