Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 20,822 times

Advertisements

I just registered on this site today and thought I would immediately ask for some advice. For the past 5 years, my wife(60) and I(62) have been residing in Sarasota, Florida. I in particular do not like the community we are living in. Besides being an unfriendly neighborhood, the fees in this gated environment are astonomically high. Since we are both retired teachers, this is becoming more of a concern.
The two of us are originally from New York State and I think we are starting to resent the "sameness" of the weather. Six months of the year it is gorgeous, however, the summers last for just as long. For all of the above reasons, we have decided to look into the Carolinas. I have two criteria that I am looking at: (1) Both of us want to be in an area where we can make friends easily and get involved in a variety of activities. This is why next month the two of us will be visiting Del Webb communities in Bluffton, S.C.in addition to the Webb locations in Charlotte and Cary. An active adult locale where there are people in our age group might be the answer. (2) We want to be near a metropolitan area to take full advantage of all the amenities it would offer.
Obviously, I am seeking a cheaper area to reside in. I really have no preconceived notions of the 3 areas I just mentioned. Hence the reason for this note. I woul like to know the pluses and minuses of Charlotte, Cary and Bluffton(Hilton Head). Specifically, any info about the weather in these 3 areas would be greatly appreciated. I am also concerned about the cost of living,the quality of medical facilities, and the lifestyle in each of these areas.In addition are there any active adult communities(not age restricted) where there would be a significant segment of younger retirees like my wife and I?
Any positive responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Orge 113
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
CHARLOTTE WSO ARPT, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

RALEIGH DURHAM WSFO AP, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

HILTON HEAD, SOUTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orge113 View Post
I just registered on this site today and thought I would immediately ask for some advice. For the past 5 years, my wife(60) and I(62) have been residing in Sarasota, Florida. I in particular do not like the community we are living in. Besides being an unfriendly neighborhood, the fees in this gated environment are astonomically high. Since we are both retired teachers, this is becoming more of a concern.
The two of us are originally from New York State and I think we are starting to resent the "sameness" of the weather. Six months of the year it is gorgeous, however, the summers last for just as long. For all of the above reasons, we have decided to look into the Carolinas. I have two criteria that I am looking at: (1) Both of us want to be in an area where we can make friends easily and get involved in a variety of activities. This is why next month the two of us will be visiting Del Webb communities in Bluffton, S.C.in addition to the Webb locations in Charlotte and Cary. An active adult locale where there are people in our age group might be the answer. (2) We want to be near a metropolitan area to take full advantage of all the amenities it would offer.
Obviously, I am seeking a cheaper area to reside in. I really have no preconceived notions of the 3 areas I just mentioned. Hence the reason for this note. I woul like to know the pluses and minuses of Charlotte, Cary and Bluffton(Hilton Head). Specifically, any info about the weather in these 3 areas would be greatly appreciated. I am also concerned about the cost of living,the quality of medical facilities, and the lifestyle in each of these areas.In addition are there any active adult communities(not age restricted) where there would be a significant segment of younger retirees like my wife and I?
Any positive responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Orge 113

Just my 2 cents, I'd scratch the Hilton Head area off the list. The area is getting over built and the road in, out and around is clogged with traffic. Not to mention, it is a tourist destination - do you really want to live in an area of tourists constantly coming and going? Not my cup of tea.

I do believe you will find things to like about both Cary and Charlotte. Medical care in either area will be top notch. I think the main difference is what size community you want to live in. Charlotte has a metro area of over 1.5 million now. In the city limits we have about 700,000. Cary on the other hand is a nice little community with its own quaint downtown, police force ect...Even though it is now a bedroom community for Raleigh and has its own traffic concerns, it is still nicely rural feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina