Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbliz View Post
Thanks for all the great information, is it true that the schools can spank your children? In NJ if a teacher spanks children they would probably be put in jail, Parents arent even allowed to spank their own kids with out DYFS being called, let alone a teacher, this makes me feel so uncomftorable.
The City-Data.com moderators have requested the topic not be disscussed here. However, you may wish to contact forum member, PegMomof4, off-line for additional information.

Contact Information:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...action=getinfo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 12:09 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsmom View Post

Maybe someone else on this board will have first hand knowledge of what it's like in Gaston county? I have heard from some acquaintances in the medical field that Gastonia has an amazing medical facility. I would think it would be more rural/small town and yet still close access to Charlotte.

I've been using a site (just4kids.org) along with the state DOE's to check schools in VA (where we'll probably be moving- not too happy about it, I might add- nothing against VA, I'm just very comfortable where we are now!). I browsed the NC portion and it gives some pretty good info. You can look at a list of high performing schools or browse individual schools or school systems to see how they compare.

Good luck with your research!
Gastonia has a hospital, but I would reccomend buying in one of the neighboring towns. Much of Gastonia is nice but its terrible having to be on the lookout for bad areas because Gastonia's high crime rate reflects the reality that there must be some quite bad areas to live in.
Living in Stanley would put you just above Gastonia and has a rural feel, but Mt. Holly or Belmont in Gaston county would put you directly between Charlotte and Gastonia (of I-85) making employment at either very possible. Mt Holly is also building a new hospital type facility (not sure on specifics) right off 85 so thats a possibility for later on too.
Belmont is becoming quite popular as people discover its there. Some long-time locals I know bemoan the fact that some larger, older homes are selling for as high as 170 to 180K. It is on the way up, and it was already nice to begin with. I think 120K might get you a nice 3/1 or maybe a decent 3/2 in Belmont, and I'm pretty sure it could get you a 3/1 or 3/2 in Mt. Holly in good areas. My wife spotted a very nice, older 3/1 with a basement near downtown Mt. Holly for only 108K!! Schools are ok I guess because no one seems to really complain about them. I'd probably pick them over most of Charlottes schools. The main draw of these areas to me is just the people- you will find the most genuinely friendly people in those towns that Charlotte just doesn't have. People have no heirs about them either, just downright friendly.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,129 times
Thanks for referring Kim to me, mm34b, we have had emails about this topic.
I'm informed, google the topic, and you will be surprised to see what is going on in North Carolina. Email me and I will send you links.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:16 PM

311 posts, read 618,384 times
Peg,
Has the article been published yet? Please let us know and a link where we might read it. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:14 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,744 times
Have you considered Greenville....great hospital, housing is more in your range in town or the outlying counties.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:49 PM

57 posts, read 160,340 times
then stay in new jersey! or move to new york.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:09 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbliz View Post
Thanks for all the great information, is it true that the schools can spank your children? In NJ if a teacher spanks children they would probably be put in jail, Parents arent even allowed to spank their own kids with out DYFS being called, let alone a teacher, this makes me feel so uncomftorable.
It was true about 20 years ago, I had felt the sting of many a custom paddle in my time. I think now the kids spank the teachers, wife is a teacher and kids have changed, lots more disipline problems lack of respect,talk back ,some got money over night from the past housing differences and no class to deal with it. The other day driving my son to Green hope school car full of sixteen year olds with their bottoms hanging out of a new Volvo, Jersey Plates. Maybe time out will fix it, right. Before anyone gets defensive im not sterotyping just stating this occurrance. also alot of young kids here driving cars they have no bussiness being in, Mustangs and sports cars, the rate of deaths is alarming recently. drinking driving fast apex and wake forest have suffered several losses this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina