U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you like N.C.
Yes 7 43.75%
Maybe 4 25.00%
ABSOULTLY NOT 4 25.00%
BEST PLACE ON EARTH! 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,233 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! My husband and our 3 children are looking to move...while I am the one who wants to move "more than anything" he is having 2nd thought. If we do move it will most deffinitly be North Carolina as I have always!! wanted to move there...The problem is we have jobs here in Fl and we will not have jobs up there....We are waiting until tax time of course to move but, we are not sure where the "jobs" are. I am looking fora good low crime rated town the other problem is I want a little snow and some mountains....My husband loves the water so we are butting heads on this one! Other problem...While I can mostly get a job anywhere since Im Administaritive....He is in the trades....So we need a place where he could find a job fast to supposrt us while we get our feet in the water. The place we live now is just not great in work, crime, and schools. I want a good wholesome family city... Any suggestions? I want to make sure he will want to move as we will be leaving everyone we know here (bron and raised in sarasota/bradenton fl ) It's scarey for him but, we need a change. I want to make sure when we leave it's not a mistake and we wont be back here in 5 months. I really have my heart set on N.C. I have always always wanted to move there so any suggestions of good small (is the key word) but rual to a good job booming city would be appreaciated.
Thank you soooo much!
The fenimores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

28,502 posts, read 62,199,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenimores5 View Post
...we have jobs here in Fl and we will not have jobs up there....
...we are not sure where the "jobs" are.
and you aren't likely to get past this reality.

Quote:
...looking for a good low crime rated town
...a little snow and some mountains... My husband loves the water
good small (is the key word) but rural to a good job booming city would be appreaciated.
It doesn't exist.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM

First of all Im looking for advise...I just want to know....since I have never moved before....No need to be rude in your answers....and yes I am sure there are jobs other places and I hate fl....So please all I am asking is for nice answers not rude one's please. It is our lives and Im looking for oppionions not mean answers....Don't even worry about it Please are so rude on here!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Sorry about the mis spelling the phone I use does it it's not me!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,171 times
If you're dead set on moving to NC, you should probably start by visiting areas. Just because people say they like an area doesn't mean you necessarily will. Also, don't assume you'll find a job. There are a lot of people in the state who might be just as qualified as you, but can't find anything. Find an area you like, apply for jobs, but don't rush up here without anything solid.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,526,379 times
If it's the Florida weather you hate, you would be better off close to the mountains rather than the coast. One area to consider is Morganton, a small town in the foothills with a lake nearby. However, there are also a lot of unemployed people. The situation is worse than the official figures, and the official numbers are bad enough. There are many other towns in NC with the same situation.

The crime rate in many of NC's smaller cities is above the national average. The bigger cities actually have pretty low crime rates. You can find that information on city-data's city pages.

If you are waiting for tax time, you are probably living from paycheck to paycheck, with your tax return being used for any extras. The best thing to do is to start saving money from your paycheck every month. Don't come to NC for a visit; don't go on any trips. Don't eat out or buy anything you don't need. If you use tobacco, quit and put your tobacco money in savings. If you have any debts, pay them off. If you drink soft drinks or beer, switch to water and put away the savings. If you use bottled water, quit. When you have $10,000 in savings (and no debt), get back to your research. Then, once at least one of you has a job, you'll be ready to move.

I know financial advice is not what you asked for, but if you rely on a tax return for anything, you are not ready to go from two jobs to one - or none.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
Quote:
The problem is we have jobs here in Fl and we will not have jobs up there
Don't move until at least one of you has a job. NC has the 8th highest unemployment in the US right now.

Quote:
First of all Im looking for advise...I just want to know....since I have never moved before....No need to be rude in your answers....and yes I am sure there are jobs other places and I hate fl....So please all I am asking is for nice answers not rude one's please. It is our lives and Im looking for oppionions not mean answers....Don't even worry about it Please are so rude on here!
You asked for opinions, but then you apparently only want certain kinds of opinions? Do you want the truth, or do you want people to tell you what you want to hear? It is not a good time, economy-wise, to give up two jobs as a trade-in for zero jobs. But, there are those who are bound and determined to do that....however, if you're going to do it one way or the other, then what was the point of posting your question? One person gave a very honest answer and you called him "rude", so it sounds like you do not, in fact, want advice. You want someone to confirm what you've already decided to do.

It's not "rude", it's "reality". But, go on, give up your income and move here. Maybe it will work out. Nobody is wishing ill on you, but reality is not always what we wish it were.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times
Jobs are just as difficult to come by here as most other places. What are you looking for? Just run of the mill general labor / skills jobs are near impossible. Construction is just about non-existant. Administrative jobs are few in many areas.
Both need to start looking for positions now and you will either have to accept a move to where you find employment or bring 12-18 months of salary with you to cover bills while pounding the pavement for employment.
On the other hand, I can say come on up to NC, it is beautiful and don't worry about finding a job..eventually you will find one.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,142,944 times
In this economy, stay where you have jobs. Absolutely.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,238,432 times
You should re-word your poll. It's not important if any of us like or dislike North Carolina. We are not in your situation. You really want to know:

"We each have jobs in FL. We want to move to NC without jobs. Is that a good idea?"

- YES
- NO

Then you would have an idea of whether you should move or not. That's the real issue. Most people like it here well enough because they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina