U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2006, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 14,139 times

Advertisements

What a great forum!... and not so surprising to see so many Massachusetts/New England residents considering relocating to NC. We as well have felt the spiraling costs of New England; we’ve decided to take a harder look at relocating to North Carolina.

As the title says, we’re looking for employment opportunity, and have strongly considered the Raleigh area, however, it looks like most anywhere in that north-south corridor could be very appealing. My wife and I are both educated professionals with solid transferable skills… my wife is a VP of Marketing in commercial Real Estate, I was a Division Sales/Business Development Manager for a specialty manufacturer selling capitol goods into the Bio/Life Science (Microscopy related), Semiconductor, Metrology & Photonics industries. I also have extensive experience selling specialized product direct to DoD/DoE/NASA and DoD/Aerospace contractors. Previous to this experience, I had a sales and management career in the electrical supply industry (Graybar, Westinghouse Electric Supply Corp…).

We have both been browsing the usual fare such as Monster & Hot Jobs, but there seems to be very little opportunity in the professional fields… so a question for you, where are folks looking and finding executive positions in NC?

[moderator cut]

Cheers!

Last edited by Marka; 03-18-2006 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2006, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,192 times
My advice would be to move to Mexico, as that is were all the N.C. jobs have gone. Sorry, but thats the plain truth. Bill

Old 03-23-2006, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,188 times
Default nc is great

hi. I am one of the new englanders living in nc. I was born and raised in mass and I have been living in Nc for almost 6 years now. As said before jobs are hard to find in nc but not if you know where to look. A good site is www.ncesc.com. that is the state employment security commision. Lets you search by county and job criteria. Hope your searching is successsful!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,189 times
hi - Are job prospects difficult to find in areas of finance and technology? I would think that certain types of jobs would be more difficult to find than others, but I have no insight into this. Any job recruiter would probably tell me that the NC market is great regardless of its economic state.

Most of my background is in info tech and my wife's is in tax accounting. We live in New Jersey and work in PA and NJ, but are looking for a better quality of life for our 2 children.

Also how is traffic to/from the major cities (Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte)?
I am guessing that it is better than Atlanta?

Commute time is an important factor to me and my wife in choosing the right jobs. Less time on the road is worth its "wait" in gold.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 AM

23 posts, read 95,806 times
Default job searching

I would go to www.trianglejobs.com if you are looking to move in the Raleigh-Durham area. Also, quite a few of the businesses in this area have web sites that you can search for a job on.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 47,356 times
not to discourage, but the Triangle is the fastest growing biotech/hightech area in the world; unfortunately it also has the highest PhD per capita in the world and the firms relocating to the region rely on poaching on unemployed or underemployed professionals (IT/BioTech). Half of Silicon Valley has moved here, plus most of the subsidiaries out of Philly. There is INCREDIBLE competition for PhD or similar positions in research - though demand will grow. To get a job around here you will need a connection. There are more executives (former execs) working for 50K as cost accountants and temps so while the overall unemployment rate is very low, the professional fields >6%...sorry for the bum news, but the cost of living here is not low either - housing is on a par with Philly suburbs - 400K+ for new places - everyone has to have their own golf course, you build the house for 400K and then pay anywhere up to 100K for the land as a premium...you need to find someone you know down here to set you up - avg unemployment is 18+ months for senior management....nursing and healthcare is praying for people tho.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 47,356 times
If you can find a job (most companies down here hire through agencies so as to avoid benefits etcs - the state itself just got busted on it's 11mo. program). Traffic is not a problem because you can find good housing and neighborhoods close to any job around the area. The airport is central to Raleigh Durhan & CH - no more than 15 minutes from any of the three downtowns. All are small in terms of size, traffic, Raleigh is government and education, Chapel Hill is education and research, as is Durham, but they all have totally different flavors. You have to visit and find out what environment suits you best. Atlanta is total gridlock like DC. At least here the maintenance and so forth is done at night not like PennDot which insists on backing up freeways for entire days cuz the unions won't work night. People talk to you here as well. They're not afraid and run to their cars, tho alot of yankees are moving here...

Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 PM

110 posts, read 126,315 times
I too will be looking for a job in the Raleigh area! But won't be moving to the area until August... I am a Loan Processing Supervisor at a bank in Orlando... If anyone comes across a position that involves loan documentation/originating/closing/consulting let me know!!! I will keep my eyes open to the websites, but I have found that the best positions are found by word of mouth. With all of the new mortgages in the Raleigh area, I shouldn't have any problems!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,107 times
How about jobs in home remodeling/building trades?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:25 AM

58 posts, read 318,066 times
Default Have you looked into Kannapolis?

I don't know how long you are planning to wait before moving, but they are building a huge bioresearch facility in Kannapolis. This is a town that was started by the textile mill, this mill has just been demolished and is going to be made into a research center. Real Estate market is HOT down here as you can see just by looking at these posts. There are many jobs avaliable in Charlotte try looking into charlottehelpwanted.com or ncesc not sure if it's .com or .org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or