Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,265 times

Advertisements

We want to relocate to NC from Florida, have already sold our home. We want to be near a good catholic school and found a blue ribbon school in Burlington. I can't find anything good or bad about it. We have two small kids, tend to be on the liberal side and are of hispanic descent (born here). Not sure how well we'll adjust but really want less stress and different lifestyle. The home prices seem to be what we're looking for (under $200k). We also saw some homes in Elon which is close by. There appears to be a good college/university there. I need to be close to a veg market and I know Greensboro has an Earthfare. We would love to have some decent restaurants and things for the kids to do. Other than that we're homebodies. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times
Burlington is a nice, small town, within a short drive to Greensboro. Chapel Hill and Durham are just 30 minutes the other way, with Raleigh just a little bit further, so restaurants and activities for your kids are close by. The people there are very friendly - it's growing but still has that small town feel. You should find good neighbors there.

Cheri

Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM

57 posts, read 337,186 times
Our family is moving from Florida to the Carolinas as well. Have you considered Rock Hill South Carolina which about 15 minutes from Charlotte North Carolina. My husband is hispanic and we are also worrying about adjusting.

I have a friends who also moved from Florida to Boone North Carolina, and one of my teenage daughters friend has just moved to Cary North Carolina and loves it there. He said he would never want to return to Florida. Cary is just 15 minutes from Raleigh.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:26 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
My knowledge of Burlington consist of knowing about the Burlington Coat Outlet and convicted murderer, Blanche Taylor Moore that is on death row in North Carolina lived there. She has been sitting on death row since about 1990 or so and at the rate they are getting around to doing whatever they are doing to do to her which they say is lethal injection, she is going to die of old age first. I believe she is well into her 70's by now.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizette810
We want to relocate to NC from Florida, have already sold our home. We want to be near a good catholic school and found a blue ribbon school in Burlington. I can't find anything good or bad about it.
Burlington has the nickname "Bore-lington". It is a blase' town in between the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) and the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point). I'm not sure of the population, but it really is known for there being "nothing of interest" there. I think the school systems are pretty good, considering how little else "cosmopolitan' is there--at least I knew a LOT of smart kids from Burlington when I was in college

It's near the town of Elon which has Elon University, a nice little private college, and probably a lot of the professors' kids are in the schools in Burnlington, which would help. But my experience with the town (admittedly I have not spent a lot of time there) is that it's just a small city off the Interstate with nothing much to distinguish it. That may be exactly what you want, of course! You might consider Elon itself, however, which is definitely a "small town" with a college. It's right beside Burlington and more charming.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizette810
We want to relocate to NC from Florida, have already sold our home. We want to be near a good catholic school and found a blue ribbon school in Burlington. I can't find anything good or bad about it. We have two small kids, tend to be on the liberal side and are of hispanic descent (born here). Not sure how well we'll adjust but really want less stress and different lifestyle. The home prices seem to be what we're looking for (under $200k). We also saw some homes in Elon which is close by. There appears to be a good college/university there. I need to be close to a veg market and I know Greensboro has an Earthfare. We would love to have some decent restaurants and things for the kids to do. Other than that we're homebodies. Thanks for any info.
===

Burlington is a nice town with some cultural diversity. I don't think you'll be uncomfortable there. It's more laid back than Florida. Try the Wholly Guacamole for Mexican food. Great food, great service, great specials. The Cracker Barrel is also surprisingly good. Yes, Elon College is close by. I've always liked it.

Sorry, we don't have kids, so no recommendations for their activities, you might want to check into that.

I prefer Fresh Market in Greensboro over Earth Fare but each store seems to have something that the other doesn't.

Best wishes to you!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 22,204 times
I grew up in Alamance County where Burlington and Elon are located and I'm still here. :-) Quite a few restaurants and more stores coming in every year it seems. Interstates 85 and 40 run through the county so it's a fairly fast trip to Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill if you want things to do (museums, etc.) As for Burlington itself, they do have a cute city park that the kids seem to like. I took my 4 y.o. nephew just today and he rode the carousel, train, airplanes, etc. LOTS of hispanics here now -- in fact my brother in law from Venezuela though he graduated from Florida State High School in Tallahassee. :-) My sister in law moved up from Tampa a year or so before she and my brother married. She made me laugh talking about how "hilly" it was here because I don't consider Alamance County to be all that hilly, but I guess it is compared to FL. I enjoy our location because you can be at the beach or mountains (love 'em both!) within a couple hours or so. Burlington has rec leagues, the Burlington Indians baseball team (if you're into that sort of thing) and many parks, Greensboro has a water park (Emerald Pointe) and Durham has Duke University which has a nice garden, UNC is in Chapel Hill (mighty good basketball!) . . . so there is always something to do -- closeby anyway. ;-)

Old 08-11-2006, 07:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
My significant other grew up just outside of Burlington near Swepsonville.
If asked "What's the best thing living there?", the reply is usually something like "It's halfway between Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Greensboro. Oh and there's outlet shopping. That's about it."
So...make of that what you will....lol.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,852 times
Yes, Greensboro has an Earth Fare Market & Cafe. If you do end up moving to Burlington, it's about a 30 minute drive to get to. Many people live in Burlington/work in Greensboro.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
My wife grew up in Burlington, in-laws still live there. It's a nice town, but not much to do. Yes, you can live in Elon, but it'll cost ya. Good housing's a little high there. It's got good access to Greensboro, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina