Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,655 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are born and raised Vermonters, looking for a change (especially in temperature)! We've narrowed it down to the NC/SC region, and after a LOT of research, determined that NC might be the better choice (although we're still in the researching stage).

We're looking for an open, friendly, non judgmental place (as we are agnostic, open-minded, laid back people), and somewhere that is relatively close to water if possible. Since we're in our 20's, we'd like to be close to where the "fun" is, and affordable housing (we'll be renting) is a MUST!

My boyfriend majored in Sports Administration, so he would be looking for a job in that field, and I am a licensed Cosmetologist so I would be looking for a hair stylist job.

We're new to the forum posting scene, but are in serious need of advice from both native New Englanders who have made the move, and native Southerners who can help us as well! Any information or advice is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDemus View Post
My boyfriend majored in Sports Administration, so he would be looking for a job in that field, and I am a licensed Cosmetologist so I would be looking for a hair stylist job.
I imagine a cosmetologist could work nearly anywhere, but what kinds of cities would you need for Sports Administration? Being more specific would be helpful.

For example, in the Pinehurst and Wilmington areas, there are hundreds of golf courses. Do they require your BF's skills? There are minor league baseball and soccer teams in the Triangle and other areas. There are health clubs and college Phys Ed departments in many areas. Do any of these require your BF's skills? Could he be a sports writer for a newspaper?

I ask because I think getting good jobs is the first thing to think about. The fun part can come later. Do some reading through the boards and see what other people have said about various towns.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I are born and raised Vermonters, looking for a change (especially in temperature)! We've narrowed it down to the NC/SC region, and after a LOT of research, determined that NC might be the better choice (although we're still in the researching stage).

We're looking for an open, friendly, non judgmental place (as we are agnostic, open-minded, laid back people), and somewhere that is relatively close to water if possible. Since we're in our 20's, we'd like to be close to where the "fun" is, and affordable housing (we'll be renting) is a MUST!

We're new to the forum posting scene, but are in serious need of advice from both native New Englanders who have made the move, and native Southerners who can help us as well! Any information or advice is much appreciated
I also have no idea what kind of job your boyfriend would be looking for, but I agree, find him a job & deal with finding fun based on where the job is.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,726 times
If you are truly agnostic and open-minded, you might want to consider a different part of the country. NC is still Baptist and conservative in great pockets. The NW sounds like a better choice, such as Portland.

Charlotte, where you would most likely find a job, is a large geographical area where a car is a necessity. They have a light rail system, but it doesn't go everywhere.

If you don't mind the religion and politics of the Carolinas, check out the Triangle area, Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC. All have schools with athletic departments.

If you like driving, sprawl, mild winters, humid summers, air conditioning, big box stores, chain restaurants, prejudice, gun rights, some friendly people, people who keep to themselves, big garages and small houses, you'll love it.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 PM

I agree, finding my BF a job is definitely the first thing to focus on. He's interested in focusing on football or possibly basketball, with some sort of marketing.. I think at this point he's pretty open since he's relatively new to the field and will take what he can get.

I've read a fair amount about how conservative and prejudice NC/SC can be, so if anyone has any other suggestions of warmer states (hopefully in the South East) that would be better for our personality type, that would be super helpful! We won't be moving for at least 6 months and possible not for a few years if nothing pans out soon, so we're not in a rush, but just trying to start researching and looking into it because we are NOT cold weather people! 20+ years is enough for us lol.

So the new question:

What would be a good, warm state for open minded people such as ourselves to live in, and what cities/towns within those states (specifically ones with good work for someone in the sports/football field)?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 41,561 times
north carolina is a wonderful state to move to. You should checkout a town near cary. Also NC is not prejudice but there is always a few stupid people who are like that but NC is not as bad as the deep south states. North carolina is not conservative at all we are the only state in the south to have a democrat governor and the only state in the south that voted for obama, but there is always a conservative person somewhere, about as many in vermont. Another thing you don't want to do is to move to far south then you won't have four seasons,in north carolina you will have mild to cold winters yes there is snow every you but I love it not to much then it goes away in a few days, spring is mild to warm rainy but wonderful time of the year, and then there is summer with hot and humid but it could be worse, then you have fall warm to cool weather very nice time of the year too. I hope you move to north carolina I think it is the state for you we have everything.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Wow, thanks for your response snowdreamer, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I definitely want a warmer climate, but it sounds like the NC climate is perfect because I still love having seasons and nonstop extreme heat would be torture.

I was wondering which towns/cities within NC would be best? I've heard that Raleigh, Asheville, and Wilmington, along with Charleston, SC, are all good places for a new englander. Do you know what the pros/cons are for these different locations? Obviously we'd have to go where the jobs take us, but just out of curiosity.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
What would be a good, warm state for open minded people such as ourselves to live in, and what cities/towns within those states (specifically ones with good work for someone in the sports/football field)?
A friend from Vermont moved to Wilmington, Delaware, and she loves it. It is close to Philadelphia and the U. of Delaware at Newark. I also suggest Maryland if you need to be in a non-conservative area. Washington DC has major league sports teams and the U. of Maryland.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
i have a few friends in their 20s/30s working for various athletic departments at duke and unc. it might be something to consider- and chapel hill, durham and raleigh are more liberal than the rest of the state (esp around duke and unc)

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i have a few friends in their 20s/30s working for various athletic departments at duke and unc. it might be something to consider- and chapel hill, durham and raleigh are more liberal than the rest of the state (esp around duke and unc)
Good suggestion, but UNC also has a Sports Administration department, so there is competition for available jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina