U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM
RDU

40 posts, read 95,754 times

Advertisements

as a 20 something I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,639,895 times
RentingCouple, you sound a lot like me and my husband! We live in Durham, but unfortunately, I've never been to Charlotte so I cannot give you any personal experience comparing the two. I can tell you, though, that there is much more to this area than just Raleigh. There's also Durham and Chapel Hill - the other two points of the Triangle - and other surrounding communities like Cary. There are a lot of monthly gallery crawls in various communities within the Triangle, as well as plenty of indoor and outdoor theatre offerings. If you're interested in Broadway productions, the same tours that go through Charlotte also visit the Triangle so that shouldn't be a concern. To find out what's going on in arts & entertainment in the Triangle, you chould check out our local free-press paper, The Indy.
Independent Weekly
If you're foodies, you be happy to know that there are multiple farmers markets sprinkled throughout the Triangle. Also, there are some well respected restaurants in the area - especially in Durham and Chapel Hill - that have been mentioned in publications like Gourmet Magazine. And don't get me started on A Southern Season in Chapel Hill! It's pure heaven for foodies.

Here are some older threads that tackle the Triangle vs Charlotte debate.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...charlotte.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...e-raleigh.html

Relocatees, why did u choose Triange over Charlotte areas?

Last edited by MrsSteel; 08-30-2007 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 PM

And just to complicate matters, you might also consider Asheville. It's smaller, but very artsy and quite beautiful, too.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM

10,419 posts, read 18,108,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
And just to complicate matters, you might also consider Asheville. It's smaller, but very artsy and quite beautiful, too.
MrsSteel, I'd be interested in your opinion of Asheville.

Hubby and I recently visited The Grove Park Inn. While there, I felt like people were somewhat snotty. Now for ME, I'll talk to anyone and everyone. Even hubby said that HE noticed people didn't TALK as much.

We noticed this in restaurants, as well. Which is very unusual for me, as I usually talk alot to the waitress...I'm friendly that way!

Back at the office, I made this comment to 2 agents that have houses in the Boone area. They said they have been TOLD that Asheville is snotty by people that LIVE THERE! One said her hairdresser moved from there because he couldn't stand the snottiness of the people that lived there.

I'm just curious as to what you thought.

Vicki

Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Vicki, I've only spent a few days in Asheville. However, I thought it was beautiful and I came across plenty of friendly people there. Also, one of my dear friends, a professional ballerina, took a job with a dance company in Asheville last summer & she positively fell in love with the place. Gorgeous scenery, plenty of like-minded artsy people, etc. She would love to live there once her career slows down & she spends more time on her writing. Granted, since she already had a job in the arts it was easy for her to find those like-minded people, but I got the impression that they were far from alone (lots of art galleries, etc.).

Moderator cut: The original poster is looking for comparison information on Raleigh vs.Charlotte?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-31-2007 at 05:28 AM..

Old 08-30-2007, 08:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 18,927,557 times
Thumbs up Both are good places ....I would check them both out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentingcouple View Post
My boyfriend and I were looking to move to Charlotte sometime within the next few months, as I had heard so much about it being not only one of the most hip, up-and-coming places for young people to live (especially moving from the Northeast, like us); but also one of the best places to find jobs in the country right now (and not just for banking; we're in the arts). I've been doing a lot of research and asking questions, but recently I've had random conversations with people from North Carolina who strongly prefer Raleigh....

I was previously under the impression that Raleigh is smaller, with less jobs and not-as-good schools and that there's not much night life. I've now been told by these Raleigh-lovers that Charlotte is the more conservative of the two (I'm not, but that detail doesn't bother me much) and that Charlotte's job market is really only full of opportunities for those in business/finance or education.

Can anyone weigh in on this conflicting info and set the record straight? I realize it's just a matter of opinion and preference, but I'd take the word of anyone who has lived or spent an ample amount of time in both cities. We just want to be somewhere with a lot of artsy people in their 20s and 30s, who love to go out to funky restaurants but also explore the outdoors; have an appreciation for theatre and music but also things like museums and historic architecture. We want a city that's big enough that we don't feel bored, but that there's still lots of trees, you know? Oh, and we want to be able to rent a condo or townhome for less than $1,000 a month.

So....Raleigh or Charlotte ?
I think you will get varying responses on this based on who you ask. People from Charlotte wil say it is better than Raleigh and vice versa. I think they are both excellent places to live. I live in Raleigh but visit friends in Charlotte often. The thing to keep in mind when talkign about Raleigh is that Raleigh is but one piece of the "Triangle" area made up of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Between these three cities you are bound to find what you are looking for. It seems to me that people that are into the arts gravitate more to Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro. Just like Charlotte there are lots of job opportunities here in the Triangle. It really depends on what you do though that may determine where the most opportunity is for you. In your search which area has had more opportunity in your field so far?

Charlotte has a nice downtown that is probably 10 years ahead of Raleigh development wise, but Raleigh and Durham are both catching up and have several Downtown revitalization innitiatives underway.

Both Charlotte and Raleigh have their fair share of suburban sprawl. I think Charlotte does also have some historic sections, but I am not very familiar with those. If anybody tries to tell you that Raleigh and Durham is just suburbia and don't have any Historic sections please refer them to picutres in the posts below.

If I were you I would visit both areas and see which feels like the Best Fit. In the end I think Job opportunites are the biggest deciding factor for most people.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Photos of historic Neighborhoods in Raleigh:

Pictures of Historic Oakwood Neighborhood in Downtown Raleigh

Pictures of Historic Mordecai Neighborhood

Pictures of Historic Boylan Heights ~ Downtown Raleigh

Photos of historic Neighborhoods in Durham:

Durham Photos: Watts-Hillandale/9th Street

Durham Photos: Trinity Park

Photos ~ Durham ~ University Dr, Roxboro St, Mangum St, Downtown, YMCA

Past Durham posts that may be helpful:

Downtown living, walkable neighborhoods in Durham

Durham rated #15 best city to live in out of over 400 cities

Recent Articles about Durham which you might find interesting:

Independent Weekly: Special Issues: Casa: Home & Garden: Edge city

newsobserver.com | Angst-free public art (http://www.newsobserver.com/716/story/477743.html - broken link)

Great Local Indy paper with Music and Art Happenings (A must read for those looking for things to do)
Independent Weekly

Artspace Downtown Raleigh Art Gallery
Artspace | Visual Art Center

First Friday's ~ For Art Lovers in the Triangle

Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Here are some more links to add to NRG's list.

Durham's Third Friday gallery crawl: Third Friday Durham - Welcome!
Durham's monthly Culture Crawl: Culture Crawl
Other local communities have similar offerings once a month. For instance, I think Hillsborough has a "last Friday" art & music thingamy in their quaint downtown area.

Durham's Carolina Theatre: Carolina Theatre
Home of the nine day North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival which is wrapping up this week.

Also, Durham is currently building a performing arts center in the downtown historic district. Durham, NC - City of Medicine

As NRG said, I think the only way you can really know which area is right for you is if you take the time to visit them. Both areas have much to offer.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 AM

296 posts, read 541,794 times
NRG and MrsSteel--good links. I love this forum. Very informative with people who care about their community

I think the Triangle and Charlotte are both tremendous areas, and I wish you luck with whichever you choose. I think Charlotte has the blessing of being a central city with one activity center. There are many projects underway, and light rail begins down there this fall...big plus in my opinion.

On the other hand, I do think the Triangle is more mid Atlantic in feel and generally a touch more cosmopolitan. The dining scene is better (especially when considering Durham and Chapel Hill), and it's a younger more liberal scene in general. Not sure if that's what you're looking for--but I don't think it's disputable. Universities always tend to add a lot of life and vitality to an area---the Triangle wins this hands down. While I like Charlotte's uptown area--it's really not that big, and I just felt there wasn't quite as much going on socially as the Triangle..that's just my opinion. Nice uptown area--but very corporate and I'd be bored after a short time I think. As mentioned, Raleigh's just beginning to take it's downtown seriously--and it's definitely on the rise right now. The upside to the Triangle as it begins to "urbanize" is huge--that's the difference maker to me. Check them both out though to see for yourself!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 AM

560 posts, read 1,959,621 times
Having spent the weekend in Charlotte a couple weeks back and coming from LI, NY I would say that Charlotte reminded me of LI more than Raleigh does. It is a bit older feeling and a bit more congested, where I was anyway. I like Raleigh better, but of course others may feel the opposite. Just my opinion.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 5,040,026 times
What does "deep south" mean? I'm not at all trying to be a jerk or anything. As a life-long resident, I just want to understand. Is it racism? Toothless rednecks? Our accent? I can understand a certain level of stress and discomfort when moving to another area and wanting to be in an area with a few others in the same boat. But I think what causes some natives to bristle at some of the newcomers is either not wanting to acclaimate to the natives (isolate themselves), complain, and/or not respect the area's culture/way of life. I realize the poster said they weren't knocking the "deep south", but isolating one's self from us southerners will not help in us melting together the way we should. AGAIN, this is not to "challenge" anyone, just want to understand what "deep south" means in the mind's of others and give an idea as to why some southerners (especially oldtimers like my dad) do have a problem with some who move to the area. I welcome anyone and will gladly do my part to help you feel welcome. Just do your part to mesh yourself in the community of southerners as well as newcomers. You'd be surprised how much good that would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina