Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have seen the sticky of jobs that are posted in media that I share link of thread where in the state the jobs are coming in 2011.
15,984 new jobs being created in North Carolina

Do you want me to do similar thread in 2012? If so what would you like added if that info is provided and how can I make it better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Do you want me to do similar thread in 2012? If so what would you like added if that info is provided and how can I make it better?
Since there are many people now asking about jobs in NC, It would be good to have the sticky thread. If you could add a web site for the company also, it would be helpful. Many thanks for your excellent work. You deserve a medal.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Aw shucks, I am just trying to be helpful. Ill try to link to the company site or their career page.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Can we add how many of these jobs are filled on a monthly, quarterly basis so folks know what time line they may be looking at?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM

I do not know how to find that information.

I only seen postings listing they are going to hire now, next few months, or few years.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM

279 posts, read 533,712 times
I think you might be giving people who have who read articles about NC being a "best place" in the '90s false hope about their prospects here. 3 Years ago, Ms. Yuck and I had 3 art supply stores across the state. We're going to be down to the strong one at year's end. During that time period, we've had to deal with approximately 8000 unsolicited applications.

It was too much. We can't spend the time replying to all of them. Things are bad here. I hired one person during that time period and had to suffer the wrath of at least a dozen desperate people who'd applied.

I'm not taking you to task. You are a font of optimism and you do a good job on Citi-Data.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Im not giving any one hope nor stating my job posting this is a best place.. those are your words and regardless it may not be best for you but it is best place for some others.
My job postings is informing them various places around the state that have new hires and I want to be able to make those looking for work or proud their city has new work to be notified.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:59 PM

279 posts, read 533,712 times
Sunny,

It is the best place for me. I've lived in Chicago, DC, Apex and Asheville. Asheville takes the cake.

I'm in retail, Consumer High Holiday is nigh, I'm stressed, and I may not be communicating at my best.

I think that many people across the country are at the end of their rope. They come to forums like this and see a sticky about jobs being created and they start inquiring. Of course they do.

I did that in '96, when the Triangle was on all the lists and buying a home in the DC suburbs was unattainable for me. That was the last best time to come here, and now there are thousands looking for somewhere better than where they are.

I do not doubt your intentions, but I think you misunderstand the effects of a thread like this.

If I've offended you, we can probably work this out via DM or e-mail.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM

And this a bad thing how.
Im just regurgitating what is already available to the media, you cant take it or leave it but its information that already out there.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
When the media says "1,000 jobs added," their information is based on government reports, which take into consideration all the jobs that were added and all the ones that were taken away, say through layoffs. The end result after that calculation is the 1,000, which would indicate that the number of jobs in NC is increasing, which is great news.

If you say, "1,000 jobs are added," and it is based only on general media reports saying a specific company is adding 1,000 (or whatever) jobs, then the impression you leave is that the number of jobs in NC is increasing, while the reality may be that other companies had 3,000 layoffs, so there really are "negative 2,000" jobs, which means things aren't so hot here.

Sharing job news is great. But perhaps a note at the bottom with some kind of short explanation would be useful in avoiding leaving a false impression that there are LOTS of jobs in NC -- when there aren't. Maybe, "Note: Keep in mind that the unemployment rate in NC is still more than 10%, and layoffs are not always publicized."

Or something. Otherwise, by giving people hope with only the job news (which may be confusing when someone reads about "increases in jobs,") you are inadvertently giving them false hope, and I don't think that is your intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina