Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
nicagrace, I just wanted to address your perception that Chapel Hill has a "pretentious, snooty vibe", as you described it. Not sure where that's coming from, but Chapel Hill is very much a university town. Most everything centers around the school and students, and other than students the population largely consists of those who work at the school or work at businesses that are patronized by students/faculty. The students (and faculty) come from all walks of life, and diversity has always been a key element. You will be exposed to people, ideas, and experiences representing a wide range of cultures, attitudes, and beliefs. And while this may be true at most any school, at UNC it has always been part of the mission moreso than most others. That, IMO, is what makes Chapel Hill the special place that it is. I don't see how anyone could interpret that as "snooty".
To address this (and bear in mind that I am a double UNC alumnus, so I know what a great school it is and wear Carolina Blue proudly), there is definitely a "snooty" vibe in parts of Chapel Hill that has more to do with retirees than the university. I used to work in a mall bookstore there, and worked in the same store in every mall in the Triangle over the years, and nowhere in the area are the customers more "entitled" (if not "pretentious") than the elderly retirees in Chapel Hill. And let's face it, CH has the highest cost of living in the state, or one of them, and thus you're going to get more of the "let me impress you with how much money I have" types than you would somewhere else. Throw in a large number of professors (not exactly known for small egos) and the hipster population around Carrboro, and there is definitely an explanation why Chapel Hill can seem to be "snooty" in many instances.

I would not cite this as a reason not to go to school there, but it is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
^ Well yes, I suppose you can encounter snooty types just about anywhere. I think the point here, though, is that students would rarely interact with the people you're describing, right?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Well yes, I suppose you can encounter snooty types just about anywhere. I think the point here, though, is that students would rarely interact with the people you're describing, right?
Yes, that is true--which I mentioned to her in an earlier post when I said she's mostly going to be hanging out with the folks in her department no matter where she is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina