U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM

56 posts, read 226,936 times

Advertisements

Thanks NCSC. I have that teacher job link in my favorites file on my computer and have been checking it often.

Thanks NCgirl for the info on Cornelius and Davidson. That's what I was worried about as well.

I haven't spent much time checking out the area on the eastern part of the state because I don't want to be too close to the coast. My research online led me to believe that aligators inhabit as far up as the coast of N.C. and even a bit inland and at least once that I read have even been spotted on the bottom coast of Virginia in the warmer months when one wandered that far. I do not want to live where there are aligators. Plus the coastal areas get hit harder from bad weather which I'd like to avoid.

Since I won't move my children to a place that's not a good place to be, I'm looking for the towns I would be willing to live in and then looking for the teaching jobs. If a job doesn't open in one of those areas then we won't move. Since my husband is willing to drive a ways to work, that helps alot. There are several teacher job postings in the Hickory area and Pinehurst area right now.

Well once again I must thank everyone for their help and time. I can't tell you how much it's appreciated!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 16,517 times
Check out Sunset Lake located in Fuquay Varina. Fuquay is a small town that just got a Walmart a few years back! I grew up there and it truely is a good place to live. The closest mall is about 20 minutes away, Walmart is just down the road, and Sunset Lake is beautiful! Hope this helps!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Marcie

Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 PM

197 posts, read 874,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWBlondiiie View Post
Check out Sunset Lake located in Fuquay Varina. Fuquay is a small town that just got a Walmart a few years back! I grew up there and it truely is a good place to live. The closest mall is about 20 minutes away, Walmart is just down the road, and Sunset Lake is beautiful! Hope this helps!
Fuquay is nice, but very close to Raleigh. I think she said she didn't want to be within driving distance of a large city.

You know, I would never guessed the alligator factor!
It is so rare that they bother humans or animals here. They really avoid us, being truly wild alligators. Having a lake house in southeastern NC (Lake Waccamaw), I can vouch for the fact that they have never bothered us. You can sometimes spot them in a canal near the lake, but I've never seen them in the lake near our house. You hardly ever think about them. If you want to avoid them altogether while you enjoy the water, go to the ocean. They don't live there. You can live in lots of small towns within 30-45 mins. from the ocean or a lake and never see an alligator.

As for bad weather, Charlotte and mountainous areas have sometimes been harder hit than coastal areas (wind damage, flooding) when hurricanes come through. It all depends on where they hit. If you're right on the ocean, it's a much bigger risk, and sometimes you have to evacuate, but live 30 miles inland -- you can take day trips to beach and not worry so much about weather and insurance costs. When Hugo came through, people left the coast and went to Charlotte -- their homes back east didn't get touched, but some were stranded for a couple of days due to downed power lines, etc. Raleigh's been hit hard a couple of times, too. Hurricanes are hit and miss. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not. Anywhere in NC is susceptible. The worse weather I've lived through in NC was an ice storm in Raleigh. Really bad, a lot worse than snow.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM

I'm such a big chicken that even knowing an alligator might be lurking in the lake, I wouldn't even put my big toe in. As far as the ocean....well let me tell you how many things that live there that might get me as well. Just the thought gives me hives. Did I say chicken? lol.

I do appreciate the info on how the bad weather affects the areas inland. I hadn't thought about the fact that a lot of rain by the mountains could be just as bad or worse with the run off and problems that would cause. It's something to think about.

I'll take a look at some area closer to the coast.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Check this thread out you will see no part of this state is immune from possible weather phenomenon
North Carolina tops for weather disasters?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Thank you SunnyKayak. I appreciate the link. I didn't realize how bad the weather could be in N.C. or how much damage it could cause. It's something I need to seriously consider now.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,097,585 times
Anyone suggested Mooresville? Not sure on population but old downtown is being rejuvenated. Close to Lake Norman. Reasonable house prices. All the major stores just out of town. Good schools in iredell county.
We are in UK but bought a house in the area last year and are trying to move there. Lake Norman Vacation Rental - Mooresville, NC

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Yes, the Moorseville area was one of the areas I was looking into. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
Yes, the Moorseville area was one of the areas I was looking into. Thanks.
No offense to Mooresville, as it is a nice community - but I do not understand why you would look at it and just dismiss Belmont so easily. They are both bedroom communities to Charlotte, though Mooresville is a few miles further up the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or