Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 12,630 times

Advertisements

Hi all; I'm considering moving to NC in the future. However, I can't sell until the market comes back. Meaning, if I sold now I would chance to lose $75K. Living in NJ is like a slow, painful death. I would like to take a trip down to NC and visit potential locations that would a) have good business with plenty of jobs, b) have good schools, c) homes built with quality, d) nice scenic views; sprawling hills, mountain views etc..., e) peaceful neighborhoods.Any suggestions? Give me any and all feedback-positive as well as the negative.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 AM

42 posts, read 92,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas6 View Post
Hi all; I'm considering moving to NC in the future. However, I can't sell until the market comes back. Meaning, if I sold now I would chance to lose $75K. Living in NJ is like a slow, painful death. I would like to take a trip down to NC and visit potential locations that would a) have good business with plenty of jobs, b) have good schools, c) homes built with quality, d) nice scenic views; sprawling hills, mountain views etc..., e) peaceful neighborhoods.Any suggestions? Give me any and all feedback-positive as well as the negative.
Thanks
I've lived in the piedmont most of my life, I love it here, it's home to me. NC, like everywhere else has been hit hard by the bad economy and I'm not sure when things will get better. In general, the big cities in the piedmont would have more jobs. Cities such as: Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raliegh. As far as schools go, for the most part the county schools tend to be better than the city schools. There are also a lot of private and Christian schools around the piedmont. The scenery around here is some of the best in the world. We have rolling hills, small farms, hardwoods and pines, rivers, and lakes. There's not any huge mountains around here but we do have some foothills. Take a drive down HWY 109 through the Uwharrie Mountains, it's beautiful! Neighborhoods are for the most part peacful and safe, however, most cities have a "rough section of town".

PS- I realize that no matter what, northerners are gonna move down here. To tell you the truth I don't think it's a good thing because with outsiders moving in a lot of things change for the worst. That being said, when you come down to visit be sure to be repectful. Remember, when your in our state you're the one with the accent, not us. A lot of northerners that come here are very liberal, while that viewpoint is accepted a lot in the cities, it's sometime resented in the rural areas. The majority of people in NC are Fundamentalist, Protestant, Christians and if that's not your view you still need to respect it. Finally, you will most likely hear the word or even be called a "yankee" at some point while you're down here, don't take it too personally.

PSS- I didn't mean to say that you're gonna be disrespectful when you're in NC. It's just that a lot of outsiders that come here have no respect or regard for our traditions and culture. If you got any more questions for me just ask. Good luck!!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM

373 posts, read 710,296 times
You arent going to find "plenty of jobs" here my man. Bring your job with you...gezz

Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Nothing is "perfect"...
but the Piedmont is surely a reasonable compromise.

Quote:
I would like to take a trip down to NC and visit...
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway
Quote:
a) have good business with plenty of jobs <--what do you do?
b) have good schools <-- most of the cities have mostly good schools
c) homes built with quality <-- relative to price you bet
d) nice scenic views; sprawling hills, mountain views <-- in reasonable proximity
e) peaceful neighborhoods <-- peaceful is as peaceful does

Any suggestions?
Block time for several longish visits... not a hit & run.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Second, you didn't say what field you would be looking for jobs in, but you shouldn't move anywhere without doing your own research in your specific field and preferably having a job lined up already.

NC has a very high unemployment rate in general, but until you mention what field you're asking about, and do your own job searching for your kinds of jobs, nobody can answer your question.

If you want "mountain views", you don't want the Piedmont, which is the middle of the state. You would want somewhere in the mountains. Do you know anything about the terrain in NC? It's a large state with both mountains and beaches. Yes, you need to take a visit down and visit the Western part of the state, look for jobs in your field, and then once you find job prospects in your area, then ask about things such as schools. It doesn't matter where the schools are if you can't find work to live there, no?

If a good job market is what you're looking for, look in Texas or the DC area, right now. But it depends on your field

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: i edited title

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM

42 posts, read 92,807 times
Do you know you have four replies on your original post?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I can't think of anywhere in NC with plenty of jobs right now, although the unemployment rate in Asheville has declined. As far as hilly views go, Hickory and Morganton and further west will give you that. For increases in jobs, check through the forum for SunnyKayak posts. The job increases were mostly manufacturing and food processing.

You don't say what kind of jobs. If you were a Java or C++ programmer, you should look in Raleigh and Durham, and forget about the scenic views.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Thanks
We lost a lot more than the 75K you are afraid of losing in NJ because we waited for the market to come back.

Remember homes are cheaper in NC and while they may lose the same % wise as NJ they lose less in actual dollars.

I am retired so jobs are of no concern to me but we moved to the sandhills and love the area.

Sandhills NC - Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Seven Lakes, Whispering Pines, Carthage and Aberdeen

Old 01-15-2012, 10:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Thanks
I responded to your post on the Charlotte board.

I see that you are in South Jersey. I came down from Cherry Hill. Which town are you in? My guess is that you could be in Gloucester County.

We need to know what type of job you would be looking for. There is no abundance of any type of job here.

Kings Mountain gives you enough of what you're looking for as far as schools & scenery. It's still the Piedmont & 30 miles from Charlotte. You need to be on the Cleveland County side (It straddles 2 counties) for schools, though.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Unemployment Rates

http://www.ncesc1.com/pmi/rates/Pres...untyRate_M.pdf

The next report will be issued on January 24th.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-15-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina