Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Check out all the recurring congestion on I-95:

I-95 north/Rocky Mount vicinity
I-95 south/Fayetteville vicinity

Other areas
Pretty useful tool. Just proves further why NC should toll 95. Florida/Northeast commuters are the ones who complain about it the most so let them pay for it.

NC needs to put their money in the right places and upgrade the highways that NC residents use the most. Also note how most of Greensboro is congestion free but it has more freeways than both Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte is terrible, almost all of its highways on that map are in the red. (77 all the way up to Statesville, 85 all the way to the SC border, and 74 through to Monroe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiedoxie View Post
You all seem unaware of the very worst thing about toll roads. Back-ups, congestion and accidents.
How so? All of the new toll roads in NC are moden. Drivers do not stop at them. They either buy a transponder or get a bill on the mail. Seems very safe to me.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiedoxie View Post
You all seem unaware of the very worst thing about toll roads. Back-ups, congestion and accidents.
No it seems you are unaware of how NC toll roads work.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:25 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,116 times
Would it be possible to give residents of those eight counties a break in the cost?

Have a multi-tiered system:

Lowest price to highest

1)Residents of those eight counties
2)Residents of NC
3)Out of State

Having a transponder would vary it more, but I am not sure of the price difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Would it be possible to give residents of those eight counties a break in the cost?

Have a multi-tiered system:

Lowest price to highest

1)Residents of those eight counties
2)Residents of NC
3)Out of State

Having a transponder would vary it more, but I am not sure of the price difference.
I saw on the news last night that the NCDOT does plan to work some kind of reduced-rate angle for frequent users of I-95. Also certain sections will be "free" from tolling for local traffic.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM

It makes sense. If I live near 95, I am already paying taxes into the fund. Why should I get hit twice at full price?

Tolling sucks, but there is no other near term solution to fix 95. It has ALWAYS been a substandard interstate compared to I-40. I think that is because it doesn't pass through Raleigh. If it was a few miles to the west, it would be in a lot better shape.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Pretty useful tool. Just proves further why NC should toll 95. Florida/Northeast commuters are the ones who complain about it the most so let them pay for it.

NC needs to put their money in the right places and upgrade the highways that NC residents use the most. Also note how most of Greensboro is congestion free but it has more freeways than both Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte is terrible, almost all of its highways on that map are in the red. (77 all the way up to Statesville, 85 all the way to the SC border, and 74 through to Monroe.
More people live in Raleigh and Charlotte than Greensboro.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:57 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It makes sense. If I live near 95, I am already paying taxes into the fund. Why should I get hit twice at full price?

Tolling sucks, but there is no other near term solution to fix 95. It has ALWAYS been a substandard interstate compared to I-40. I think that is because it doesn't pass through Raleigh. If it was a few miles to the west, it would be in a lot better shape.
Well, people who live in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc. have the new section of 540 and nc 147 which is a toll road. They aren't getting any type of reduced rate unless they PURCHASE a quickpass. It's 24 cents a mile WITHOUT a quickpass and 15 cents a mile with a quickpass. Keep in mind, they have to PAY for a quickpass in order to get a reduced rate. Why should those will live near I-95 get an automatic discount? It doesn't seem fair. Aren't those in Wake County getting "hit twice"?!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers, a Republican from Harnett County, filed a federal bill that would block the state from implementing tolls on I-95. State officials want to introduce a toll along part of the highway to help pay for its expansion.
read more Ellmers wants to block I-95 toll

Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM

If it isn't tolled, how are we gonna pay for it? It will be another 10-20 years before construction starts and it needed to be done 30 years ago. The roads. bridges, on/off ramps are atrocious on 95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina